Football 2023/24

charlierc

22 hours ago, charlierc said:

Emi Martinez doing a classic shithousing his way to the glory.

He is one of those players that fans love to death, apposing fans just hate. A bit like Cantona, Costa, Tevez, Shearer that sort of player. 

Love a sh*t housery player myself.

Edited by thetime

12 minutes ago, lost said:

Official forest twitter account suggesting they may take action over VAR being corrupt?

It'll go nowhere but if it does then it opens a Pandoras Box for previous issues such as Liverpool's disallowed goal against Tottenham.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

I know a few in this thread are Aldershot fans so what do you guys make of Gateshead being denied a play-off spot but Aldershot also being denied the chance to sub in for them?

wasn't aware of that will try to find more on it.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

I know a few in this thread are Aldershot fans so what do you guys make of Gateshead being denied a play-off spot but Aldershot also being denied the chance to sub in for them?

looks like the beginning of the end for gateshead, the council not backing the club with the ground is what led to the old aldershot club folding.

28 minutes ago, Neil said:

looks like the beginning of the end for gateshead, the council not backing the club with the ground is what led to the old aldershot club folding.

Not necessarily, but if this precedent is fresh in the mind of Aldershot fans, it's not an ideal thing to be compared to. Especially given Gateshead very nearly disappeared through a ton of off-field problems a few years ago.

Must also feel like a crude full-stop. Lost their manager due to him impressing EFL clubs and one duly coming calling, lost several key players in January, and now denied the chance for promotion because of administrative f**kery.

1 hour ago, lost said:

Official forest twitter account suggesting they may take action over VAR being corrupt?

Something about this feels off-putting. Forest have had a real angry conspiratorial bent of late, much like the way their owner has behaved for years with authorities during his time with Olympiakos, but this feels like a declaration of war on the PGMOL. Much as I'm aware the refs have been having a bad season, I fail to see what this achieves.

Certainly VAR piping up and disallowing the fairytale moment that would've been Coventry knocking out Man Utd in the semis for a 1mm offside isn't exactly going to help with calming the "f**k VAR" crowd. Doubly so after Man Utd won the shoot-out to set up another boring-boring all-rich six FA Cup final.

44 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Am I won't for thinking it's fair enough their statement? There's been too many refereeing errors this season, the refs performance in that game is more embarrassing than that statement.

I'm aware that this has been a bad season for the referees in general, and agree with that take, but I see a flawed increasingly conspiratorial messenger that seems to think everyone's against them.

But it's like that debate after Liverpool's debacle at Spurs many months ago. At what point do you fight the message or the messenger? sh*t refereeing has always been a part of football but it seems to be being talked about in increasingly angry terms. Indeed, I bet that if VAR is binned and we go back to just the ref on the pitch deciding things, we'll go back to complaining (indeed that happens in the EFL anyway), and it won't do much with the possible ticking timebomb that is that a lot of people just don't want to be referees anymore, meaning before long, we're either going to get worse refs or even no new refs willing to go for it.

1 minute ago, charlierc said:

Certainly VAR piping up and disallowing the fairytale moment that would've been Coventry knocking out Man Utd in the semis for a 1mm offside isn't exactly going to help with calming the "f**k VAR" crowd. Doubly so after Man Utd won the shoot-out to set up another boring-boring all-rich six FA Cup final.

I'm firmly in that crowd to the point I don't really watch footie anymore.

I'm a Utd fan but that was an absolute disgrace.

11 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I'm aware that this has been a bad season for the referees in general, and agree with that take, but I see a flawed increasingly conspiratorial messenger that seems to think everyone's against them.

But it's like that debate after Liverpool's debacle at Spurs many months ago. At what point do you fight the message or the messenger? sh*t refereeing has always been a part of football but it seems to be being talked about in increasingly angry terms. Indeed, I bet that if VAR is binned and we go back to just the ref on the pitch deciding things, we'll go back to complaining (indeed that happens in the EFL anyway), and it won't do much with the possible ticking timebomb that is that a lot of people just don't want to be referees anymore, meaning before long, we're either going to get worse refs or even no new refs willing to go for it.

I dunno, if that official is a Luton fan then at best that is questionable and yeah Forest might have gone a bit too hard in that statement but it’s about time clubs start speaking out about the standard of refereeing.

I’m not sure if there this grand conspiracy against certain clubs from the PL/PGMOL but the perception amongst a lot of fans is that there is one and that’s a bed the PGMOL have made for themselves. Take Spurs - Liverpool for example, at best that was epic incompetence and worst a deliberate act to alter the game, both deserved to be criticised.

The fact that certain pundits are more upset about the statement than actual refereeing errors which could change the outcome of games/relegation is a joke as well. 

Edited by Ozanne

17 minutes ago, The Nal said:

I'm firmly in that crowd to the point I don't really watch footie anymore.

I'm a Utd fan but that was an absolute disgrace.

It’s an example of correcting a problem that didn’t exist. It’s so marginal the Coventry player got no advantage. It just sucked the emotion out of the game.

The standard of refereeing has been shocking but just seen them. I'd say one is pen and one is maybe a soft pen. Its also not a great conspiracy as Luton still have Everton to play at home so probably had the better chance of catching them before today.

2 hours ago, charlierc said:

Let's be honest, is it the decision that people are up in arms about? Or that it went in uniteds favour?

I'm sure majority of clubs have suffered the same. Remember garnacho v arsenal. 

16 minutes ago, thetime said:

Let's be honest, is it the decision that people are up in arms about? Or that it went in uniteds favour?

I'm sure majority of clubs have suffered the same. Remember garnacho v arsenal. 

Oh let's be fair - it's been magnified because the decision went in Manchester United's favour. I distinctly recall people going the other way when Chelsea had a last minute equaliser disallowed by VAR for a similar offside against Leicester in the FA Cup final a few years ago and praising it then for prizing a trophy out of a rich six club's hands. And indeed if we're talking about VAR antics, I'm actually not 100% sure it was that strong a penalty for Coventry in added time that forced extra-time in the first place. Certainly not as strong as one of the ones Forest had turned down at Goodison Park.

Of course every club has their scars from VAR. I was furious by a very generous handball penalty given to PSG when Newcastle were seconds from winning at the Parc des Princes in the Champions League group stage, but there's been a lot of poor calls throughout the season both for and against multiple clubs. I'm more bemused as to why Forest, who are starting to rack up quite the whinging charge-sheet given they have sent the PGMOL at least 3 letters of complaint this season, feel the need to go further. To say nothing of what their options actually are either. Essentially it's accusing the PGMOL of outright corruption when that referee's priority will be just doing good enough to keep their employment.

12 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Oh let's be fair - it's been magnified because the decision went in Manchester United's favour. I distinctly recall people going the other way when Chelsea had a last minute equaliser disallowed by VAR for a similar offside against Leicester in the FA Cup final a few years ago and praising it then for prizing a trophy out of a rich six club's hands. And indeed if we're talking about VAR antics, I'm actually not 100% sure it was that strong a penalty for Coventry in added time that forced extra-time in the first place. Certainly not as strong as one of the ones Forest had turned down at Goodison Park.

Of course every club has their scars from VAR. I was furious by a very generous handball penalty given to PSG when Newcastle were seconds from winning at the Parc des Princes in the Champions League group stage, but there's been a lot of poor calls throughout the season both for and against multiple clubs. I'm more bemused as to why Forest, who are starting to rack up quite the whinging charge-sheet given they have sent the PGMOL at least 3 letters of complaint this season, feel the need to go further. To say nothing of what their options actually are either. Essentially it's accusing the PGMOL of outright corruption when that referee's priority will be just doing good enough to keep their employment.

Like all decisions if it works to our advantage, we are not complaining. Can't remember any uproar with VAR and how they are spoiling football on this one. A decision that may change the course of the title. 

20240421_211858.thumb.jpg.3329898e8cbd24ad7f73f574e2a5d373.jpg

its united, i get that. 

Edited by thetime

1 hour ago, thetime said:

A few let's say suspect decisions, potential corruption in the Premier League.

wouldn't be like utd to have the refs on a string. 😛 

26 minutes ago, thetime said:

Like all decisions if it works to our advantage, we are not complaining. Can't remember any uproar with VAR and how they are spoiling football on this one. A decision that may change the course of the title. 

20240421_211858.thumb.jpg.3329898e8cbd24ad7f73f574e2a5d373.jpg

its united, i get that. 

Eh to me that looks offside. 

Worth noting that without VAR, the f**k up in the Spurs v Liverpool game wouldn't have happened.

The linesman would have gone with offside, Liverpool fans would have bitched and moaned about it but ultimately, without all the line drawing bollocks, it would have just been "one of them" and would probably now be forgotten about.

33 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Liverpool fans would have bitched and moaned about it but ultimately, without all the line drawing bollocks, it would have just been "one of them" and would probably now be forgotten about.

Liverpool fans forgetting about it? Not having that.