Football 2023/24

charlierc

5 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

We've done some of that, we managed to get the first breach delayed to this season instead of admitting guilt and being punished last season, which would've seen us relegated. 

It's mad how poor the league is though, an 8 point total deduction and 1 win in 14 and we're still not in the relegation zone.

Also Brentford and Palace have quietly had seriously bad seasons to still be in danger at this point, they were miles ahead a few weeks ago

If any team can manage 3/4 more wins, they probably will stay up. Were it not for the deductions, you'd have said it was by now all over, although it's not exactly easy for any of the teams around those getting deductions to know what might be enough to stay up given appeals, further deductions and who knows what else. Indeed, it's why it seems to me like the Premier League wrote the PSR rules without a defined punishment due to thinking they'd ever have to push anyone for breaking them, which is going well.

But yeah. Brentford's form has been consistently poor, Forest are also bad even without the loss of 4 points and Luton only just picked up a first win in 12. So it's not as if anyone in that bottom cluster is pulling out all the stops just yet.

54 minutes ago, charlierc said:

If any team can manage 3/4 more wins, they probably will stay up. Were it not for the deductions, you'd have said it was by now all over, although it's not exactly easy for any of the teams around those getting deductions to know what might be enough to stay up given appeals, further deductions and who knows what else. Indeed, it's why it seems to me like the Premier League wrote the PSR rules without a defined punishment due to thinking they'd ever have to push anyone for breaking them, which is going well.

But yeah. Brentford's form has been consistently poor, Forest are also bad even without the loss of 4 points and Luton only just picked up a first win in 12. So it's not as if anyone in that bottom cluster is pulling out all the stops just yet.

Even with the deductions, if we don't stay up its our own fault. Forest, Brentford and Sheffield United at home, Luton away. Even with Chelsea and Arsenal away and Liverpool at home we should be getting enough points, though I think Luton will beat us as they seem to have our number this season

Eric Dier says he believes he should be in england squad

so does @Neil believe that @Neilshould be in it, had to change what i said so it didn't look like i was recommending dier.

I've just read that Everton midfielder Dele Alli spoke of his sleeping pill addiction.

Probably would have been better if he wasn't sleeping during matches.

23 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Even with the deductions, if we don't stay up its our own fault. Forest, Brentford and Sheffield United at home, Luton away. Even with Chelsea and Arsenal away and Liverpool at home we should be getting enough points, though I think Luton will beat us as they seem to have our number this season

I did spot Luton won at Goodison in both league and cup, but those 3 games against Forest, Brentford & the Blades, along with beating Burnley the other day, is still a viable platform to survival. Plus I can imagine that, while this is a long shot, there would be a great satisfaction among Everton fans if they stayed up while beating Liverpool, in the process sabotaging their title bid. Plus Chelsea still aren't very good.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

I did spot Luton won at Goodison in both league and cup, but those 3 games against Forest, Brentford & the Blades, along with beating Burnley the other day, is still a viable platform to survival. Plus I can imagine that, while this is a long shot, there would be a great satisfaction among Everton fans if they stayed up while beating Liverpool, in the process sabotaging their title bid. Plus Chelsea still aren't very good.

Haha I'm sure many Everton fans would love nothing more, I'm the opposite, I don't care what they do. We've beaten them once in 14 years, and that was behind closed doors, so its not even a rivalry anymore and hasn't really been in my lifetime! We sometimes get draws against them at Goodison so a point isn't out the question. I'd fancy our chances more than Arsenal away where we always lose heavily!

On 4/10/2024 at 5:04 PM, efcfanwirral said:

Haha I'm sure many Everton fans would love nothing more, I'm the opposite, I don't care what they do. We've beaten them once in 14 years, and that was behind closed doors, so its not even a rivalry anymore and hasn't really been in my lifetime! We sometimes get draws against them at Goodison so a point isn't out the question. I'd fancy our chances more than Arsenal away where we always lose heavily!

Certainly from this point, if Everton went down, they'd have to be super disappointed. The 8 point loss makes it a slimmer margin than ideal and there is still potential to lose the 6-pointers, but it's still in their hands.

Certainly if you're going to Arsenal away on the last day of this season, which is when that is, and Arsenal need a result to try to win the league, it could end up being a case of how many.

Meanwhile, in other FFP-antics...

Now I will note that this was an EFL investigation that, as noted in the Tweet, came about because of Sheffield United's own financial misbehaviour while they were a Championship side. But you can guarantee there'll immediately be people going "But what about the 115 Man City charges?!?!?!?" even though these aren't in the EFL's jurisdiction.

On 4/10/2024 at 5:04 PM, efcfanwirral said:

there would be a great satisfaction among Everton fans if they stayed up while beating Liverpool, in the process sabotaging their title bid

everton winning at anfield, unlikely, while everton are still sh*t. 😛 

Administration is a genuine threat for Everton now. 777 seem to be incredibly dodgy, there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel for them.

In less cheery news, probably the last time I'll get to see Klopp in person as I only go to the home European games these day, what a stinker of a match to end on. The whole team looked like they'd forgotten how to play football. 

9 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Administration is a genuine threat for Everton now. 777 seem to be incredibly dodgy, there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel for them.

In less cheery news, probably the last time I'll get to see Klopp in person as I only go to the home European games these day, what a stinker of a match to end on. The whole team looked like they'd forgotten how to play football. 

Never rains but pours for Everton right now. Dread to think what the next problem might be.

23 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Never rains but pours for Everton right now. Dread to think what the next problem might be.

the fans thinking that dyche is worth having (its happening already, mad bastards).

Bolton Wanderers posted an advert for their season tickets using an image with the slogan "We are all wanderers..."

Only problem was that they used a photo of Derby County fans as part of that image... 

As a rams fan myself, I found this hilarious, thought you might too... 
 GK9FahpWMAA9Hum.thumb.jpg.6747959a52c7c78f126355c9cc5dc966.jpg

according to the beeb's gossip today, this from the mail apparently.....

they say several prem clubs are looking at signing Mason Greenwood, and i was thinking that would be signing themselves some trouble, and i was wondering if hes less toxic to other clubs than he is utd? will his reputation follow him, and lead to protests at a prem club that signs him.?

2 hours ago, Neil said:

according to the beeb's gossip today, this from the mail apparently.....

they say several prem clubs are looking at signing Mason Greenwood, and i was thinking that would be signing themselves some trouble, and i was wondering if hes less toxic to other clubs than he is utd? will his reputation follow him, and lead to protests at a prem club that signs him.?

I thought the football community was appalled about his actions, rather than being appaled by his actions because he plays for utd. 

6 minutes ago, thetime said:

I thought the football community was appalled about his actions, rather than being appaled by his actions because he plays for utd. 

That's not how I was thinking it .

I was more wondering that if he moves on  does he leave his troubles behind?

3 minutes ago, Neil said:

That's not how I was thinking it .

I was more wondering that if he moves on  does he leave his troubles behind?

Depends on the club.

He will go to a top club next summer I'd imagine, more than likely Spain or Italy. Can't see where he would go to in this country. City? Nah Liverpool? Nah Arsenal? Nah.

Then you are perhaps going down the leagues, just don't see it. 

1 hour ago, Ryan1984 said:

It was not good.

its good that they don't have the normal end of season relegation battle.

20 hours ago, Alvoram said:

Bolton Wanderers posted an advert for their season tickets using an image with the slogan "We are all wanderers..."

Only problem was that they used a photo of Derby County fans as part of that image... 

As a rams fan myself, I found this hilarious, thought you might too... 
 GK9FahpWMAA9Hum.thumb.jpg.6747959a52c7c78f126355c9cc5dc966.jpg

Woops indeed.

2 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Well if nothing else for Spurs fans, I guess 4-0 is an improvement on 6-1.

my favourite spurs fan was last heard from before today, taking the piss out of ;Liverpool losing the other day. so i've enjoyed taking the piss today.