Primavera Sound 2024

UsernameHere

Just now, xxialac said:

Can't work out whether not having to book headliners that can commit to playing Barcelona and Madrid over two weekends this year is a help (can negotiate a better deal for playing twice) or a hindrance (some acts won't want to have be in Spain for a week). 

I wonder if it helped them bag Blur and Depeche Mode from Mad Cool last year. Depeche Mode have previously played Mad Cool and Blur seem like an act Mad Cool would have tried to get.

I do wonder if some bigger acts without the previous festival relationship were more likely to go to Mad Cool as I get the feeling they pay better and are also less early in the touring cycle. I always maintained the Madrid Primavera was to curb some of the draw Mad Cool had.

36 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Can't work out whether not having to book headliners that can commit to playing Barcelona and Madrid over two weekends this year is a help (can negotiate a better deal for playing twice) or a hindrance (some acts won't want to have be in Spain for a week). 

Primavera Porto is a 4 day festival now, I think it is probably connected with the fact that Primavera Madrid was cancelled. I guess they shortened the gap between Barcelona and Porto so more and more artists are convinced to do both and not have a huge gap between. At that time of the year it´s mostly festivals that they do, so having free Monday and Tuesday is better than having also Wednesday. 

2 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

Primavera Porto is a 4 day festival now, I think it is probably connected with the fact that Primavera Madrid was cancelled. I guess they shortened the gap between Barcelona and Porto so more and more artists are convinced to do both and not have a huge gap between. At that time of the year it´s mostly festivals that they do, so having free Monday and Tuesday is better than having also Wednesday. 

Is there any announcement on PS Porto being 4 days now? Their Instagram bio only mentions 6 - 8 June.

33 minutes ago, diogozsz said:

Is there any announcement on PS Porto being 4 days now? Their Instagram bio only mentions 6 - 8 June.

Just checked their Instagram and they indeed only state 3 days of festival. I remember that back in June they announced 4 day festival, but now I see that actually they just moved the first day of the festival to Friday and the last one to Sunday. It´s a bit confusing, cannot see a reason for that, this would mean a huge gap of 5 days between Barcelona and Porto, I guess so that the artists can go to other festivals on Wednesday and Thursday?

The fourth day of Porto they had been planning was probably going to be very low-key anyway - just a few gigs rather than a full day - so I wouldn't read anything into it.

I hope they still put on a great Ciutat programme next year. With Madrid happening and the scale of that, this was obviously more feasible.

Just now, Quadrophobia said:

I agree, she's been touring straight since 2018 or so (minus Covid), I think she needs a break

Isn’t she having a new album soon? Plus she haven’t toured Europe (besides some select European festivals this summer) since 2021/2022. 

I do feel that Lana, Karol G or SZA are more solid, and the “New Normal” Primavera would be weird without a big female name. Kylie Minogue could be another choice but I don’t know if it’s enough. 

Could Madonna be an option as the pop act?

Apparently she’s odds-on to do Glasto and is rumoured to be doing a stadium tour next year, could see her supplementing that with some festival shows in cities she’s already toured in and is already preparing a festival show. Might also be an opportunity to lay the groundwork with a younger audience for a new album. 

Edited by chilirocker

4 minutes ago, chilirocker said:

Could Madonna be an option as the pop act?

Apparently she’s odds-on to do Glasto and is rumoured to be doing a stadium tour next year, could see her supplementing that with some festival shows in cities she’s already toured in and is already preparing a festival show. Might also be an opportunity to lay the groundwork with a younger audience for a new album. 

Too big I think.

3 hours ago, BA_Barrabus said:

I thought PS had Damon on retainer

Seems to be a relationship that's been repaired, Gorillaz played Barcelona (but NOT Primavera) in mid June 2018.  Which at the time looked very much like there had been some sort of snub from Primavera.  I saw Gorillaz at the horribly over crowded PS 2022 Weekend 1 and they were very good.

Separately, Madonna feels pretty "big" for PS - I don't know why she is currently doing only UK dates at the o2.  Bit frustrating as I'd love to see her live.  Does Kylie plays festivals?  I saw her at Glastonbury (the crowd was absolutely massive, incidentally) but I don't know if that was an exception.

52 minutes ago, xxialac said:

You're right, it's very unlikely though Depeche Mode shows it's not completely impossible for an act to be persuaded.

Hard to imagine Macca playing PS.  Literally one of the biggest acts in the world.  If you want to hear The Beatles, it's as close as you can get.  (I'm going to see Depeche Mode in Dublin in February.  Have never seen them but have become a big fan over last few years so am really looking forward to it.)

5 hours ago, festivalguy97 said:

Just checked their Instagram and they indeed only state 3 days of festival. I remember that back in June they announced 4 day festival, but now I see that actually they just moved the first day of the festival to Friday and the last one to Sunday. It´s a bit confusing, cannot see a reason for that, this would mean a huge gap of 5 days between Barcelona and Porto, I guess so that the artists can go to other festivals on Wednesday and Thursday?

its from thursday to saturday again after they did announce it for friday to sunday. can't remember it being announced for four days in first place

4 minutes ago, nicolaspepsi said:

I hope they will sorprise us like they did with Depeche mode. This year tickets  are more expensive, so the should mantein the level of the headliners at least. Some importan rock band should be as a headliner: Pearl jam/the strokes/qotsa.

And then we will find out that the tickets are more expensive because they spent a big budget on Bad Bunny.

But really I do hope that after the Primavera Madrid fiasco, and some problems with their Latin editions, they will go full on and make a big but also consistent lineup. If they are bringing the likes of Bad Bunny, Karol G and Travis Scott I hope they also make a very good undercard with smaller but consistent names, so nobody gets disappointed at the end and they sell well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Johndenis said:

Seems to be a relationship that's been repaired, Gorillaz played Barcelona (but NOT Primavera) in mid June 2018.  Which at the time looked very much like there had been some sort of snub from Primavera.  I saw Gorillaz at the horribly over crowded PS 2022 Weekend 1 and they were very good.

Separately, Madonna feels pretty "big" for PS - I don't know why she is currently doing only UK dates at the o2.  Bit frustrating as I'd love to see her live.  Does Kylie plays festivals?  I saw her at Glastonbury (the crowd was absolutely massive, incidentally) but I don't know if that was an exception.

Madonna ? She’s doing the O2 in London to start. She’s just started her tour. 
but then heading to Antwerp. Copenhagen. Stockholm. Barcelona. Lisbon. Paris. Cologne. Paris again. Milan. Berlin. Amsterdam. Back to London. And then she’s heading to the US. 

If she can manage it all. 
she’s already got some knee straps 😅 

can’t wait to see her in Barcelona. Next week.