Sleeping in the queue

GlastoLou

2 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Yea

I know exactly where I'll be, give or take about 20 metres.

I want to have that (relative) certainty too and as where we camp is popular and we are in a big group we wouldn't get that without queuing.

Camping in my preferred spot increases my enjoyment of the festival considerably so the queue is 100% worth it.

I totally understand why others can't or won't do it but it works for us.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JamieKThomas said:

We went in 2016, my Google Maps timeline tells me we left Swansea at 3am, parked up at 6:52am and made it to the camp site for 9:25 am. So it was about 2 and a half hours from the point we left to the car, to the point we were on Hitchin Hill. 

Do you think we just got lucky, and that it will be more difficult to get in this year? Not sure if we should leave earlier or arrive later to avoid the rush.

You got very lucky - 2016 was horrendous trying to get into the East side of the side, but West was relatively clear - they asked people to not set off if they hadn't already which meant if you could make it to the gates you walked straight in.  Plus being a fairly wet year not too many were in the queue overnight - initial traffic issues were mainly campervans, but then escalated.

3 hours ago, Madyaker said:

I’m 31 and wouldn’t consider it. If I was 21 maybe. When was the last time you did a full all nighter followed by a 5 day bender?

Haha I'd definitely be having a kip as soon as the tents up! But yeh I totally get your point,  it would be brutal! 

3 hours ago, Madyaker said:

I’m 31 and wouldn’t consider it. If I was 21 maybe. When was the last time you did a full all nighter followed by a 5 day bender?

Im 37 and I've done the last 7 festivals queuing overnight. It's sitting in a camping chair with a few cans, few joints and your mates. No biggie.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2023 at 9:22 AM, GlastoLou said:

Thanks for all the replies guys, I'm completely torn now! We're both in our 40s so definitely not got age on our side anymore! Think it might come down to the weather on the day I guess.

On 5/18/2023 at 2:10 PM, GoonerRob said:

Im 37 and I've done the last 7 festivals queuing overnight. It's sitting in a camping chair with a few cans, few joints and your mates. No biggie.

I'm 49.  Some in our group are late 50's.  We overnight in the queue every year.  We're definitely all Team Gooner on this one.  If it's mental pissing down then maybe have a rethink but otherwise it's an all nighter with a few drinks, lots of laughs and bubbling excitement.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rmartin1803 said:

We’re arriving on the Tuesday about 7pm via taxi which drops off at Gate A and have friends in the campervan fields close to gate C can you walk it ? 

Better check that you can actually get that taxi to Gate A. Official drop off point for taxis is at Bath and West and you need to get a shuttle bus to PGA.

On 5/18/2023 at 7:59 PM, Armourman said:

I'm 56 and did it last year....once a year its fine. 

I've done it since my first Glastonbury and will be doing it again this year age 45, for various reasons not least of which it's actually fun to do! Few of the killjoys have actually done it, or done it properly.

• Like 1

At 45, having a kid (not with me) and had a relatively physical first half of my working life, I’m now fucked 😂

I will get my head down early Tuesday, grab a few hours sleep and set off maybe 0200 with a view to get there for 0430 and then whatever will be will be 👍 

We’ve done overnight every year since 2013 and aways find it a rough night, but if you are determined to get your camping spot then it is worth it. Lots of our group either coming by coach or later this year, so we’re going to leave the arrive at 8pm stuff and do the slightly more sensible arrive at 4am time instead. Should be fine for where we want to be (by old cinearmagedon and Park)

We live about 1.5 hours away - always used to rock up on Weds lunchtime and camp near Big Ground. Since the Tues car parks opened and overnight queues we have had to get up earlier and earlier to get our preferred spot without having to queue overnight ( health issues). Last time we did this in 2019 we ended up leaving at 5.30am, arrived 7.30am in car park east and got on site and camped up for about 10am. Last year due to significant health issues we camped in Sticklinch with the car park next door and a guaranteed space so was able to rock up at mid-day. We missed our favourite camping spot a lot but it did make it a lot easier. We still wouldn’t queue overnight though. No tickets for the first time since 2004 this year sadly - will be weird not having that packing and Glastonbury eve excitement !