Trolley Recommendations

HH46810

29 minutes ago, EavisAintDead said:

The hub width also matters and can vary. If the wheel is held on by a split pin + washer the hole in the axle that the split pin goes through needs to be visible and enough space for the washer

20 minutes ago, kerplunk said:

The hub width also matters and can vary. If the wheel is held on by a split pin + washer the hole in the axle that the split pin goes through needs to be visible and enough space for the washer

Good point. Might take it to ATS 😄

On 4/16/2024 at 9:18 AM, BagpussSeesAllThings said:

Do these sort of sack trucks survive well at Glasto? I've never used one before but this looks pretty durable, could be completely wrong though.

spacer.png

Yes they do - with a caveat. There are 4 x nut+bolts holding the wheels together and these can work loose - make sure they're nice and tight (even if it's brand new - they often aren't well tightened from the factory) I've harvested several of these sack trucks due to this from festivals and have amassed a collection of spare wheels for them too. At boomtown one year  I noticed someone hurling a brand new one into the rubbish piles because a wheel had fallen apart. I hauled it out and repaired it within minutes just using a leatherman type tool. On mine i have a couple of spare split pins for the wheels taped to the frame.

No problem with 'pulling' with those handles either.

Take care not to over inflate the tyres as that can make them go bang at the worst moment!

• Like 1

My old faithful - has done dozens of festivals.

1 x bungee -  holds tent to bottom plate.

Everything else tied on with one continuous length of rope

I'm undecided on the solid wheels vs pneumatic thing, and so have gone for one of each

20240430_132901.jpg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Always in awe and bewilderment at the "two trips to the car" crew

I'm a two trip person.

but (he says, smiling smugly) i'm only parked maybe 150 yards away from my camp. First trip is tent and sleeping stuff, get that all perfect, then second trip is clothes, food and drink. Then i can sit in my camping chair, crack open a beverage and smile smugly some more. 

58 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Always in awe and bewilderment at the "two trips to the car" crew

I can't do the first trip with everything, the stop start in the queue is just too much with a full pack on your back and a laden trolley

Two trips (or even three some years!!) means I stroll in with a normal backpack on and a heavy but not unmanageable trolley on the first pass then go back for booze and a big bag of clothes etc. Because I'm in the queue so early, all of this is complete by 10PM while my friends can't move for a few hours because they've broken themselves getting everything in in one trip 

Once the booze has gone, I can just about manage to get it back in one trip without the start stop nonsense

25 minutes ago, EavisAintDead said:

I can't do the first trip with everything, the stop start in the queue is just too much with a full pack on your back and a laden trolley

Two trips (or even three some years!!) means I stroll in with a normal backpack on and a heavy but not unmanageable trolley on the first pass then go back for booze and a big bag of clothes etc. Because I'm in the queue so early, all of this is complete by 10PM while my friends can't move for a few hours because they've broken themselves getting everything in in one trip 

So you miss all of Wednesday just queuing and doing car runs?

1 hour ago, kerplunk said:

Yes they do - with a caveat. There are 4 x nut+bolts holding the wheels together and these can work loose - make sure they're nice and tight (even if it's brand new - they often aren't well tightened from the factory) I've harvested several of these sack trucks due to this from festivals and have amassed a collection of spare wheels for them too. At boomtown one year  I noticed someone hurling a brand new one into the rubbish piles because a wheel had fallen apart. I hauled it out and repaired it within minutes just using a leatherman type tool. On mine i have a couple of spare split pins for the wheels taped to the frame.

No problem with 'pulling' with those handles either.

Take care not to over inflate the tyres as that can make them go bang at the worst moment!

I'd upvote this for the excellent scavenging, but have run out of votes.

My mate used to dismantle discarded tents at Glastonbury, and take the pain of bringing his haul back to the car at the end. That was until his now husband told him that he had to stop as he simply had enough tents. 

Oh, and bringing additional spare split pins for the wheels is a must. They can be bought cheaply from a plumbers merchants. 

We do 2 trips but the 2nd one is Thursday morning. Because I park up Tuesday night, we're normally parked pretty close to the entrance and can do the round trip in an about an hour. Especially for my 2 lads, this is a big money saver as they'll then have their drinks for the 5 days. 

It is though why I'm thinking of getting an extra trolley, we could do it in 1 go that way.

45 minutes ago, EavisAintDead said:

Once the booze has gone, I can just about manage to get it back in one trip without the start stop nonsense

question is what time are you in the queue?

1 minute ago, dotdash79 said:

that is early

Very. I wouldn't swap it though, the building of excitement is amazing as the sun comes up and gates opening gets closer. There's usually 20+ people in our camp so we need to get there early to get the space

3 hours ago, EavisAintDead said:

That is quite the typo! 10AM, not PM!! whole day of adventures

I had read it, in part, that it had taken you all day to do the two runs. And then my mind went off to how that could be achieved. And when you think about it, it could be. All you'd need to do was the first tun, then 'break' and go on the lash all day. And then in a very drunken moment decided to do the last run at about 9pm. Perhaps chemically assisted for the final spurt. Yes, I can see how that could be a 'thing'. 

Trying out a fishing barrow this year - so we can do one trip as there is only the pair of us going this year. We did have one of those four wheel garden trolleys when the daughter was little but they really don't pack down at all well - we had to remove the spare wheel and the boot cover in the car to fit it in and it has just kinda rotted out being in the garden for a few years.

If it's good enough for fishermen to take all their gear for a weeks fishing down a muddy bank, it's got to be worth a shot.

We use a version of this fishing trolley- folds down easy but has proper tyres. Only time we had to leave it in car was 2016 as mud was just too deep for a trolley. We usually take essentials first on trolley and leave spare or non essentials in car for 2nd run later or Thursday especially if very muddy. Not sure how it’s fared in the rat infested shed over the winter- will need to give it a hose down, oil up and check they haven’t eaten the tyres! 🙄

IMG_2498.png

Edited by sedra

13 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I had read it, in part, that it had taken you all day to do the two runs. And then my mind went off to how that could be achieved. And when you think about it, it could be. All you'd need to do was the first tun, then 'break' and go on the lash all day. And then in a very drunken moment decided to do the last run at about 9pm. Perhaps chemically assisted for the final spurt. Yes, I can see how that could be a 'thing'. 

Now you say it.. doesn't sound that unattractive.. Maybe I'll give it a go this year