On 5/15/2023 at 10:52 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:

My standard guidance:

Boots not wellies

Shorts not jeans

Hat

Electrolytes

Use the lock ups

Never queue for anything if you can at all avoid it

Eat non breakfast foods at breakfast time to avoid queuing for 45mins for a stale roll with one small rasher of bacon in it.

I've seen quite a few people suggesting to use the lock-ups... in what context?  I've been 3 times and not used them - always keep all cash/cards/phone/keys on me - and I assume most people do.  Is there anything else worth storing in there that hasn't occurred to me?! Thanks! 🙂

Just now, CR77 said:

I've seen quite a few people suggesting to use the lock-ups... in what context?  I've been 3 times and not used them - always keep all cash/cards/phone/keys on me - and I assume most people do.  Is there anything else worth storing in there that hasn't occurred to me?! Thanks! 🙂

Completely takes out the risk factor as they simply could not be anywhere other than the lock ups.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, CR77 said:

I have my passport with me so that goes in along with housekeys, credit cards and a stack of cash.

5 minutes ago, CR77 said:

It has been known that those items have gone missing from passed out punters during the night . Sticking stuff in there also eliminates risk of accidental loss , keys for example or passport ID . My friend stored his beer in them as it keeps it cool 

8 minutes ago, CR77 said:

My mate lost the car keys while partying too hard. They never turned up, despite her repeated visits to lost property and trying to retrace the steps she remembered, asking anyone and everyone at stalls etc.

Leaving on the Monday was a massively expensive AA new key nightmare.

Lock ups get my house keys, my car keys and my proper full wallet - i keep a festival wallet that just has one photo ID, cash and one bank card - if i manage to lose them i can go back to the lockup and get my proper wallet with other cards etc. Thus far an infallible solution.

(I also have a deeply unsexy dog lead thingo for my mobile attached to my waist, ensuring i dont lose my mobile falling out of me pocket when im having an impromptu floor nap or similar - its very reassuring!)

Camp near where you are likely to end up at the end of the night.  A long trek across the site (and it's big) is not ideal when you are tired and emotional.

Make sure you can find your tent in the dark.  Don't think "it's next to the big blue one" because when you return there will be lots of big blue ones - and they all look the same colour in the dark.  Triangulate your tent relative to fixed things like roadways, pylons and toilet blocks

16 hours ago, Andy Glasto Virgen said:

Any recommendations for first night, first timer hang out/areas to visit?

The Ridge and Furrow Meet(s) 6pm on Wed, the fireworks / opening ceremony, and just have a good wander, the area's I like to get to on the first day are the areas I find it hard to get back to once all the stages kick off, healing fields, green futures, green crafts and so on, try your hand there, they always have workshops on and can be fun. Climb the hill and have a sit and think..... 

Other than that I can only echo what has been said already, prepare for hot, cold, sunny and wet, you will be right. 

Hopefully see you for a pint at the Ridge and Furrow

• Like 1

I'd add to the chorus of voices urging use of the lock-ups. One tip I always used when travelling by coach - pack 90% of your stuff up on Sunday morning and walk it to the lock-up nearest the coach station. Then, when it's time to leave on Monday and you're really feeling the impact of a big last night out, you don't need to carry anything heavier than your tent and sleeping bag for most of the walk back to the coach station.

I took this to extremes one year and packed everything up, including the tent, with the intention of pulling an all-nighter but ended up in such a state I was barely able to get on the coach. But the more moderate version of this plan still works wonders!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CR77 said:

Thanks for all the responses everyone!  That's all good to know... was wondering whether people go to the lengths of stashing best clothes etc there too in case those got nicked from the tent!

Haven't done that for good clothes, but if you don't want to go back to camp (eg if you're in worthy view or campervan so it's a bit of a trek) you can leave some warm clothes in a convenient lockup and grab them for the evening.

18 minutes ago, downtherabbithole said:

Set your lockscreen background to a screenshot of a written text stating the numbers of two friends at the festival who they can contact in the event of a lost phone.

This is a great idea. I also put a contact number on a piece of paper inside the phone case as the lock screen trick won't work if your battery dies.

All sounds exciting (confusing!! 🤣) think the ridge and furrow could be a good shout as im on my own, if I can find it!!! then maybe the fireworks after a few beers 👍 thanks for all the advice, hopefully see some of you there. Good thing is its only a couple of hours drive from north devon so hopefully get there nice and early Tuesday night/Wednesday morning 😊

On 5/14/2023 at 4:15 PM, Bestival-weather said:

Any tips for going there alone

Follow your nose.

On 5/14/2023 at 4:15 PM, Bestival-weather said:

I am a virgin 

Can't help you there. 

Seriously though, you'll never normally hear these words said with good intent, but they are - 'Suck it up'.

Live it, breath it, be it.

You'll know what I mean when you get there.

All the best.

9 minutes ago, Andy Glasto Virgen said:

All sounds exciting (confusing!! 🤣) think the ridge and furrow could be a good shout as im on my own, if I can find it!!! then maybe the fireworks after a few beers 👍 thanks for all the advice, hopefully see some of you there. Good thing is its only a couple of hours drive from north devon so hopefully get there nice and early Tuesday night/Wednesday morning 😊

Huge place, be prepared to wander, be prepared to be overwhelmed, be prepared to relax for a bit and just sit and watch the world go by.  Huge crowds in places - fireworks are usually split across 3 hills on the south side of the festival (look for wooden sculptures towards the top of hills and you're probably in the right place) - they get massively busy and if you find something else grabbing your attention really don't worry about it.  5 days of FOMO, so just get stuck into whatever you are doing, even if that's just have a sit or a wander, and don't worry about what you're not doing.

2 hours ago, shuttlep said:

blister plasters

nothing worse than getting a blister and not being able to walk 

Double bag your socks, and you're unlikely to get a Blister to start with.

Ideally, a soft comfortable inner pair and a more hard wearing outer pair.