Flying solo Glasto 23

Bestival-weather

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Riggins said:

Now all the sales are done - how many are still going alone? 

Same, still solo. But with all of the encouragement from here and other sites, I'm sure to have plenty of interesting company.

Me, this'll be my 4th Glasto flying solo.

It's generally good, but can get a bit tough sometimes - e.g. getting caught in the Park/Arcadia crush last year.

Conversely, I'd just been having a great time on the barrier at the Park that evening, chatting with the people around every time the crowd switched over for the acts that night. Lots of hour-long friends!

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Andy Glasto Virgen said:

Going solo and my first time at 60!!, going to head for the meet up at the pub, then go with the flow, very excited 🥳

Same age and although definitely not my first visit, I did my first solo last year. You'll love it of course. 

I still have never made it to the meet up, even when solo last year, but there's always a first time so may see you there! 

• Like 1

I SHOULD have done it in 1997 when my mates got cold feet.  Then I SHOULD have done it in 2003 when my mates bought a house and had no cash.  In the end I bottled it both times and now kick myself.

I've solo bimbled about loads when the group splits to see different things and I always end up chatting with strangers.  Had some of the best fun of my life doing it.

Go for it.  You'll love it.

15 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I SHOULD have done it in 1997 when my mates got cold feet.  Then I SHOULD have done it in 2003 when my mates bought a house and had no cash.  In the end I bottled it both times and now kick myself.

I've solo bimbled about loads when the group splits to see different things and I always end up chatting with strangers.  Had some of the best fun of my life doing it.

Go for it.  You'll love it.

I have tried for 12 years to get a ticket, then when the time came I reached to all my friends...nope none wanna go.  sod it, so I tried and got one.  I am looking forward to it, quietly nervous only because of the total unknown 🙂 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bestival-weather said:

I have tried for 12 years to get a ticket, then when the time came I reached to all my friends...nope none wanna go.  sod it, so I tried and got one.  I am looking forward to it, quietly nervous only because of the total unknown 🙂 

Don't be nervous.  I've made some firm friends at the festival who I've stayed in touch with.  You'll come across many friendly, like minded people and will have a blast.

I've done it once before alone in 2009. I knew a couple of people on site and saw them for a few hours one afternoon. Had an absolute blast.

I don't know why, but maybe because I'm older, I'm more anxious about going solo again this year - even though I'll go to the eFests' meet and will meet people from our resale group etc.

Not really sure how to explain it. I'm sure it'll be fine once I'm through those wonderful gates with a wristband on!

9 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I've done it once before alone in 2009. I knew a couple of people on site and saw them for a few hours one afternoon. Had an absolute blast.

I don't know why, but maybe because I'm older, I'm more anxious about going solo again this year - even though I'll go to the eFests' meet and will meet people from our resale group etc.

Not really sure how to explain it. I'm sure it'll be fine once I'm through those wonderful gates with a wristband on!

believe it or not im actually quite reserved and struggle with meeting new people ..... definately in my earlier years of Glastonbury . 'this is partly the reason for the extreme fancy dress ... it encourages people to talk to me and then I dont have to make the initial engagement , wear something unusual and it acts as a great icebreaker.  its also probably made a difference in my life confidence thinking about it 

Edited by Crazyfool01

I almost went solo in 2014 when no one I know wanted to go (?)
I volunteered with Oxfam that year and did end up going with friends, but it was a close one. 

I've struck out alone to see bands when people i was with didn't fancy it. 

You'll never be without a conversation if you want one. Stood queuing for a drink, sat in the stone circle and obviously stood watching a band. People will always be willing to chat and you'll inevitably find someone who's going to the next band etc.

I randomly got chatting to some people from the same village as me while watching Paul Mac - they heard my accent and we got chatting and boom, friends made! 

24 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

believe it or not im actually quite reserved and struggle with meeting new people ..... definately in my earlier years of Glastonbury . 'this is partly the reason for the extreme fancy dress ... it encourages people to talk to me and then I dont have to make the initial engagement , wear something unusual and it acts as a great icebreaker.  its also probably made a difference in my life confidence thinking about it 

That's a pretty good idea to attract attention via physical appearance rather than having to think of something to say.

I'm certainly looking forward to meeting you Crazyfool after you've been so helpful to all on the threads these last months! And I hope of course to see your hat up close and in detail!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Going solo this year….there are a few people I vaguely know who will also be on site.

I usually go with my son or friends, but TBF I’ve been solo a few times and always finished up chatting with people. At no point have I ever felt lonely or felt worried by it, and I’m not the most outgoing person, particularly in crowds.

You’ll have a great time!! And just think no disputes about clashes or meeting up times.

• Like 1