The Glade

johnny-yen

This year will be my first Glastonbury since 2017. I’ve spent many happy hours in and around the Glade in the past. However, I seem to think it’s recently been changed and increased in size. Is this correct? What’s it like now? Has it been improved or spoilt? I particularly liked the sound and atmosphere in the trees. What will I expect this year?

Alright mate, I've always loved the Glade area too. It was still awesome last year, the trees stage is still the same but they have changed the Spike bar next to it and made it bigger, pretty chilled and easy to get a drink. And also there is a larger stage opposite the Spike for the bigger Glade style acts, Jon Digweed was one last time and it generally works pretty well!! 🙂 

This is the new Glade stage, that’s not actually in the glade anymore.

04369050-5927-4C1C-86AC-1509C5DB8959.thumb.jpeg.d220198fbe01827c07e443077a0c5ce6.jpeg

And this is the Glade Dome stage, where the old Glade stage was, in the glade:

57471371-1551-4482-92F4-0A23AA4DBC61.thumb.jpeg.e669b1c1acba9293726f2c17c0e58309.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

no, its a different structure.

I don't know what you mean.  This is the Glade Dome stage and I took this photo at last years festival.

12 minutes ago, Neil said:

Sorry I misunderstiod which stage you were meaning, I thiught you were referring to the old g stage structure.

Ah ok, no worries. The old stage structure was better but I preferred the new smaller line-up on this one and actually being able to get a space to dance in the trees.

3 minutes ago, johnny-yen said:

Thanks for all your input.

Anyone remember what the sound was like with the new set up? I particularly remember the surround sound configuration they had was superb, especially stood in the right space. 

Didn't spend anytime under the trees, so can't comment, but the sound at the new larger stage was shite.

Edited by Skip997

5 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Didn't spend anytime under the trees, so can't comment, but the sound at the new larger stage was shite.

I can't comment on how it was in the thick of the tent, but in front of the speaker stack at the back of the tent was clean but a bit quiet if my hazy memory is correct

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I went to it last year on the Sunday night about 1am....could have a conversation with your mate next to you whilst the music was on!

3 hours ago, johnny-yen said:

This year will be my first Glastonbury since 2017. I’ve spent many happy hours in and around the Glade in the past. However, I seem to think it’s recently been changed and increased in size. Is this correct? What’s it like now? Has it been improved or spoilt? I particularly liked the sound and atmosphere in the trees. What will I expect this year?

I haven't been since 2017 either and was worried about big changes as it was my favourite area! I LOOOOVE the Glade, can't wait for the full line up 🙂

50 minutes ago, johnny-yen said:

Thanks for all your input.

Anyone remember what the sound was like with the new set up? I particularly remember the surround sound configuration they had was superb, especially stood in the right space. 

Sound at the Glade Dome was excellent for the 3 hours I spent there dancing to psytrance on the Sunday night/Monday morning. They've moved that line-up slot from the Thursday in the Glad Lounge, to Sunday in the new Dome. It was the best dance crowd of the weekend, IMO, and a perfect way to round off the festival/start your final night*

Ben

*depending on how late you go on the Sunday night 😉

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, hannahlmoore said:

I haven't been since 2017 either and was worried about big changes as it was my favourite area! I LOOOOVE the Glade, can't wait for the full line up 🙂

I was a little bit sad to see it reduced to, effectively, just two venues. I'm one of a relatively small number who liked the Spaceport!

Only went to the new Glade stage once last year, and saw a really good set. With 7 other people! And yes, volume levels there were shockingly low. not so, thankfully, for the Glade Dome, which I like as much as the old Glade, on the evidence of only a couple of sets, admittedly.

My only gripe with the old Glade was the rockiness of the ground that made dancing uncomfortable/potentially ankle-breaking! Seemed to be a much more even surface in the Dome last year.

Ben

29 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Sound at the Glade Dome was excellent for the 3 hours I spent there dancing to psytrance on the Sunday night/Monday morning. They've moved that line-up slot from the Thursday in the Glad Lounge, to Sunday in the new Dome. It was the best dance crowd of the weekend, IMO, and a perfect way to round off the festival/start your final night*

Ben

*depending on how late you go on the Sunday night 😉

Arf. I was in there for that as well. No complaints about the sound from me either.

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

I went to it last year on the Sunday night about 1am....could have a conversation with your mate next to you whilst the music was on!

I would say this was to do with the speaker setups - pretty sure all these types of stages now have Funktion-One’s which means it is reasonably loud and very clear but not really aggressive so you really have to shout. I think it kind of creates a bubble over the audience BUT you have to be in that bubble otherwise it sounds awfully quiet. Arcadia also springs to mind as the other main suspect. I think they have to have these types late night venues past midnight to get around the sound licence laws.

I'm hoping for Glade to announce acts like: Nick Warren/Way Out West, Franky Wah, John Digweed, Framewerk, Artbat, Monolink, Guy J, Arutani, Red Axes, Keinemusik especially &Me, Hybrid, Freeland, Tristan and James Monro (for old times sake), Marsh and Solomun - although not sure I've forgiven him for this 48 year old bastard staying up wired until 6am only to find out he was a no show last year in Shangri La.  

Edited by rgalbraith
  • Upvote 1