It started with a stick 2.0

Sawdusty surfer

29 minutes ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

#1 getting close to completion.

#2 and #3 currently just sticks and are a development of the concept of #1. Never been done before. 

If you've ever had an idea that seems stupid but thought fuck it, going to give it a go...well that kind of sums it up. If #2 doesn't work then it's pointless even attempting #3 as it's stretching the #2 idea.

Going to get properly stuck in in the next couple of days so hopefully will update progress here. 

A couple of pics of #1. Needs another 15 or 20 hours I think.

Don't actually know if they will work but going to be finding out very soon

IMG_20230521_215536.jpg

IMG_20230521_215622.jpg

It's looking positive! I think you can make it work 🙌🏼

47 minutes ago, Twiggy553 said:

For more detailed stuff have you ever tried using a carbide disk on an angle grinder? I’ve done a lot of lovely carvings that way, eats through wood if you let it, but incredibly easy to control.

Yep, my favourite is the Arbortech turbo plane closely followed by the Arbortech industrial wood carver. So quick, easy and efficient for shaping wood. 

Surprisingly safe as well. 

For anyone who may not be able to visualise the effect of these tools, imagine a Light Sabre that gets condensed into a disc that is 4 inches diameter and is then mounted onto an angle grinder. That pretty much sums it up. 

Edited by Sawdusty surfer

7 minutes ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

A bit of progress this afternoon on the second chamber on chair no 2. 

Will be a relief to actually make a start on the third chair.

great work .... are we going to get people harmonising in them in the last video ? 

10 minutes ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

A bit of progress this afternoon on the second chamber on chair no 2. 

Will be a relief to actually make a start on the third chair.

Hello Sawdusty,

Liking the work - a lot. Was just wondering if those huge trunks of timber are dried out fully, or do you work on wet timber? Just thinking about shrinkage / cracking etc.

1 minute ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello Sawdusty,

Liking the work - a lot. Was just wondering if those huge trunks of timber are dried out fully, or do you work on wet timber? Just thinking about shrinkage / cracking etc.

It's part seasoned, to fully season in sections that size would probably take 20 years. It dries out much faster than, for example, oak which needs one year per inch of thickness!

It's sequoia which I love for all sorts of reasons , not least the fact that it is incredibly stable and suffers from minimal shrinkage as it dries so hardly any cracking/splitting.

4 minutes ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

It's part seasoned, to fully season in sections that size would probably take 20 years. It dries out much faster than, for example, oak which needs one year per inch of thickness!

It's sequoia which I love for all sorts of reasons , not least the fact that it is incredibly stable and suffers from minimal shrinkage as it dries so hardly any cracking/splitting.

Thanks for the detailed response. I did think that it would take an awfully long time to fully season. All the best with the chairs.

1 hour ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

Some progress on the two chambered one . Looking like the three chambered one will have to wait. I may have time to rough it out but certainly won't be finished.

PXL_20230602_152130095.jpg

PXL_20230602_152031922.jpg

PXL_20230602_151904865.jpg

PXL_20230602_151817261.MP.jpg

Have run out of up votes.

That looks splendid, that does. I go weak at the knees when I see an excellently executed phallic chamber. I'm old fashioned like that. 😊

• Upvote 1

On 6/2/2023 at 4:28 PM, Sawdusty surfer said:

Some progress on the two chambered one . Looking like the three chambered one will have to wait. I may have time to rough it out but certainly won't be finished.

PXL_20230602_152130095.jpg

PXL_20230602_152031922.jpg

PXL_20230602_151904865.jpg

PXL_20230602_151817261.MP.jpg

If 2 are ready make 2 huge floorstanding speakers those holes might create some great bass 🤣👍

7 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

have you managed to sit in one ? they create an amazing noise 🙂 

Ah so that's what they are haha I haven't read all the way through...my brain skips over text 🤣

2 hours ago, gazzared said:

Ah so that's what they are haha I haven't read all the way through...my brain skips over text 🤣

I think (but don't know for sure) that their ultimate use has been indicated. At least, if it has, I haven't read it - I don't read entire threads or any threads, at times (most times).

The above said I do have an opinion on what they ultimately will provide. However, that's not for me to say here, as if I got it right, it would spoil it for sawdusty (who, I think is keeping it a secret for the moment) - and that's a road I ain't ever going down. 

While I'm at it - @Sawdusty surfer - The one with the bicycle next to it. Please do expect to receive my dry cleaners invoice for pants soiled in the front area, for which I hold you fully responsible. That's smashing, just smashing.

PS - The other one is fab too. Let there be no in fighting amongst the Wood People as to who's top dog.  It does remind me of a character off Dr Who or Star Trek mind. I'm not really into sci-fi (although have the embryonic makings of a sci fi book to write, in what's laughingly referred to as my mind!) though, so can't recall the character / species. 

• Upvote 1