Metal at Glastonbury 2023

jonday81

I'm tellin' ya, screw the haters, screw the casuals and screw Bruce Dickinson's own self-disregard for it all borne out of ego, and stick Iron Maiden atop the Pyramid on a Friday night.

Aces High
2 Minutes to Midnight
Can I Play with Madness
Revelations
Blood Brothers
The Trooper
The Wicker Man
Phantom of the Opera
The Evil That Men Do
10 Fear of the Dark
11 Iron Maiden

12 The Number of the Beast
13 Hallowed Be Thy Name
14 Run to the Hills

Thank you, and good night. (Would never happen, mind you.)
  • Upvote 1

Forgive the double post but on a more serious note... Tenacious D?

Wrap up a European jaunt at Hellfest the weekend before. Don't look to have ever played Glastonbury. The caveat is their limited UK festival record - only a handful of dates ever played over here as such.

But they'd be an excellent Saturday afternoon booking, particularly with Guns 'n' Roses on the Pyramid. Not exactly forward thinking, but bang 'em fourth or fifth down the Pyramid or third on the Other that day.

• Like 2

It's probably very unlikely, but I would be a very happy man if Carpenter Brut made an appearance.  A perfect mix of 80's sleaze synths with a nice metal edge.  Would go down wonderfully on the Hell stage

Edited by BambooShanks
edit cos the original video had boobs in it. boobs! in a youtube video! shocking scenes
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

I'm tellin' ya, screw the haters, screw the casuals and screw Bruce Dickinson's own self-disregard for it all borne out of ego, and stick Iron Maiden atop the Pyramid on a Friday night.

Aces High
2 Minutes to Midnight
Can I Play with Madness
Revelations
Blood Brothers
The Trooper
The Wicker Man
Phantom of the Opera
The Evil That Men Do
10 Fear of the Dark
11 Iron Maiden

13 Hallowed Be Thy Name
14 Run to the Hills

Bloody heck, thats Maidens playlist from 1984 ... lol. Theyve had a few albums since

5 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

The Hellfest line up is epic in both depth and breadth, so surely there can be some overlap here.

I’d really like to see The Cult at the farm - they have enough heritage and are not too heavy. Surly it’s time.

Hellfest is the GOAT of festival lineups. Something for every fan of alternative music. 

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Love a bit of heavy metal but mainly the 70s stuff. This classic, the first sabbath album, was released around this time of the year 53 years ago. I couldn’t stop listening to it back then, still give it an airing regularly 

1141C3AE-D582-4145-BBB4-9677EE2B3BCF.jpeg.0353e75caf053a25dea2a734ecfe4f13.jpeg

The first four Sabbath albums - and I know it’s a big old cliche - are perfect. They’re like the four pillars of metal 

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 5:47 PM, NorthernSoul52 said:

Aces High
2 Minutes to Midnight
Can I Play with Madness
Revelations
Blood Brothers
The Trooper
The Wicker Man
Phantom of the Opera
The Evil That Men Do
10 Fear of the Dark
11 Iron Maiden

13 Hallowed Be Thy Name
14 Run to the Hills

No rime of the ancient mariner??

Also needs wrathchild, moonchild and wasted years imo 

16 hours ago, Pateen said:

Bloody heck, thats Maidens playlist from 1984 ... lol. Theyve had a few albums since

I'd all be for two hours of truly muscular prog metal on the Pyramid. But you'd need a balancing act of classics. 😉

I mean, knock Cyanide out and Metallica's setlist was pretty much peak-nineties era touring stuff.

16 hours ago, balti-pie said:

An outrageous accusation! Fear of the Dark is from 92! 

otherwise though, yeah, spot on 😄

The Wicker Man would also like a word for these outrageous accusations. 😉

8 hours ago, a6l6e6x said:

No rime of the ancient mariner??

Also needs wrathchild, moonchild and wasted years imo 

Skipped out on Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Moonchild, because the chance of them ever being played live again feels... slim. (I just don't like Wrathchild, sorry!)

Wasted Years swapped out with Can I Play with Madness is probably more realistic, mind you!

1 hour ago, Quark said:

All this Maiden chat has driven me back to the catalogue.  Respinning Killers this morning, first album I ever owned. Still up there in my favourite Maiden albums conversation.

The title track is criminally underrated, as is the record as a whole. Think I prefer it to Iron Maiden by and large. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

The title track is criminally underrated, as is the record as a whole. Think I prefer it to Iron Maiden by and large. 

Funny enough I've got the track on now. Always ends up getting a cheeky second play before moving on. I just adore that riff.

Prodigal Son always gets overlooked as well.  I always forget how good it is until it comes on, such a good change of pace.

Edited by Quark

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Funny enough I've got the track on now. Always ends up getting a cheeky second play before moving on. I just adore that riff.

Absolute beauty. Would love to have it on the upcoming run of shows. Claims there are that it'll be a five-five-five split between Somewhere In TimeSenjutsu and classic fixtures. (Of which, Iron MaidenThe Number of the BeastFear of the Dark and The Trooper are almost religiously nailed on. After so many years, would be happy to see the latter take a breather.)

5 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Absolute beauty. Would love to have it on the upcoming run of shows. Claims there are that it'll be a five-five-five split between Somewhere In TimeSenjutsu and classic fixtures. (Of which, Iron MaidenThe Number of the BeastFear of the Dark and The Trooper are almost religiously nailed on. After so many years, would be happy to see the latter take a breather.)

It's the albatross (geddit?) for bands like Maiden though.  You've got the absolute classics that fans would riot if they didn't play them, but then you've also got decades of material, album tracks and lesser-played singles that smaller groups of fans would go absolutely ballistic for.

I have the same issue when I see the Levellers; they generally have a relatively predictable setlist for their main shows, but the best gig of theirs I saw was one where they went for it and played a load of rarer material. Whether it would have worked as well on a bigger stage I don't know, but I had an absolute blast.

Moved onto Somewhere In Time now thanks to you 😄

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Quark said:

It's the albatross (geddit?) for bands like Maiden though.  You've got the absolute classics that fans would riot if they didn't play them, but then you've also got decades of material, album tracks and lesser-played singles that smaller groups of fans would go absolutely ballistic for.

I have the same issue when I see the Levellers; they generally have a relatively predictable setlist for their main shows, but the best gig of theirs I saw was one where they went for it and played a load of rarer material. Whether it would have worked as well on a bigger stage I don't know, but I had an absolute blast.

Moved onto Somewhere In Time now thanks to you 😄

Always happy to be of service.

The first leg behind Legacy of the Beast was close to GOAT status for modern Maiden shows. Tracks from all four eras - Di'Anno, Dickinson I, Bayley and Dickinson II - with a mixture within of stone-cold classics and prog-loving deep cuts. Think the only inclusion that could have lifted it to another level would have been throwing Phantom of the Opera in there somewhere.

Know which five I'd want from Somewhere in Time. Kind of know which five you'd likely get, at that.

On 2/15/2023 at 3:09 PM, Pateen said:

GOAT, form Sweden.

Not super heavy but a sound rather like Sabbath from back in the day. Now thats a band I'd love to see down there

Goat played in 2013 I think? They're great. Would love to see them again. 

On 2/14/2023 at 8:03 AM, NorthernSoul52 said:

Forgive the double post but on a more serious note... Tenacious D?

Wrap up a European jaunt at Hellfest the weekend before. Don't look to have ever played Glastonbury. The caveat is their limited UK festival record - only a handful of dates ever played over here as such.

But they'd be an excellent Saturday afternoon booking, particularly with Guns 'n' Roses on the Pyramid. Not exactly forward thinking, but bang 'em fourth or fifth down the Pyramid or third on the Other that day.

I'd be up for that. Tribute in the sunshine would be a moment.