Tuesday night accomendation

august1

On 1/28/2023 at 1:06 AM, august1 said:

Any recommendations?

Staying in sticklinch so west of the site is probably better?

We did Sticklinch last year, stayed at Glastonbury Premier Inn. 

Woke up quite late, had a quick shower and a famous Premier Inn breakfast, and headed over to the festival around 11 am on Wednesday.

No traffic whatsoever on the short journey, because you turn right just as you start to reach what looked like some traffic ahead. We were parked very near the gate / front of Sticklinch car park, so barely 100 metres to carry our belongings.

No queues at Sticklinch gate, once you'd declared your lack of crisps you were straight in, dump bags, setup self inflating mats and beds, and straight into the festival. If I remember correctly we were drinking in Hop & Liquor by 1pm, having only woken up, showered, and had breakfast since 10am!

Honestly can't reccomend it enough, it was a bliss way to start full of energy. 

Edited by Alvoram

On 1/30/2023 at 9:48 AM, worthyraver said:

The Sticklinch car park may well be open Tuesday night like the Worthy View one is, that said I usually stay here and I am doing so this year:

The Natterjack

It is more south then west of site although very close great food and breakfast and there seems to be room at the Inn 🙂

did you drive south of the festival to get in? or go up north do you know?

4 hours ago, Alvoram said:

We did Sticklinch last year, stayed at Glastonbury Premier Inn. 

Woke up quite late, had a quick shower and a famous Premier Inn breakfast, and headed over to the festival around 11 am on Wednesday.

No traffic whatsoever on the short journey, because you turn right just as you start to reach what looked like some traffic ahead. We were parked very near the gate / front of Sticklinch car park, so barely 100 metres to carry our belongings.

No queues at Sticklinch gate, once you'd declared your lack of crisps you were straight in, dump bags, setup self inflating mats and beds, and straight into the festival. If I remember correctly we were drinking in Hop & Liquor by 1pm, having only woken up, showered, and had breakfast since 10am!

Honestly can't reccomend it enough, it was a bliss way to start full of energy. 

this sounds ideal, I was knackered last year from heading down Tuesday night and sitting in the queue. I didnt recover for a couple of days.

Treating myself to the easy life this year

18 hours ago, august1 said:

did you drive south of the festival to get in? or go up north do you know?

We were staying in Worthy View so it was just through Wraxall and across the A37 and straight into Worthy View.

You would have to left (south) on the A37 and round the site on the southern side to reach Sticklinch.

15 hours ago, Mich1268 said:

The Bannatyne place if you are feeling flush. Was very quick to the sticklinch car park last year

Just booked this, same price as the premier inn Glastonbury!

Suprised they have the offers available on those dates.

2 course meal and a bottle of wine, breakfast and 25 min treatment and access to the facilties, £260 isnt too bad for 2 people.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, august1 said:

2 course meal and a bottle of wine, breakfast and 25 min treatment and access to the facilties, £260 isnt too bad for 2 people.

Very good! It is very lovely there. Enjoy!

7 hours ago, august1 said:

That’s bloody good! Is that with member discount? 

On 2/2/2023 at 12:32 AM, august1 said:

£260 for 2 people! Is that really what Premier Inn are asking for this year? That's shocking, we paid nowhere near that last year, booked fairly late too. 

6 hours ago, clarkete said:

I think the one in Wells is no further, or potentially slightly nearer the festival site. 

I have no idea, no local knowledge at all really, but the reason we went with the one at Glastonbury was it’s ideal location for Sticklinch in particular. With it being practically on the A361, it’s one road until you turn off to the right onto Stickleball Lane, just before you hit any traffic. 🙂 

Think there was also a Travelodge near the A361 Premier Inn island too. 

Wells is North, to get to Sticklinch looks like you’ll have to travel to Glastonbury first, passing the Glastonbury Premier Inn, and then along the A361. Unless you can go via Shepton Mallet and cut back all the way past the festival site through Pilton? Either way the routes definitely seem a lot longer to Sticklinch car park. 

5 hours ago, Alvoram said:

I have no idea, no local knowledge at all really, but the reason we went with the one at Glastonbury was it’s ideal location for Sticklinch in particular. With it being practically on the A361, it’s one road until you turn off to the right onto Stickleball Lane, just before you hit any traffic. 🙂 

Think there was also a Travelodge near the A361 Premier Inn island too. 

Wells is North, to get to Sticklinch looks like you’ll have to travel to Glastonbury first, passing the Glastonbury Premier Inn, and then along the A361. Unless you can go via Shepton Mallet and cut back all the way past the festival site through Pilton? Either way the routes definitely seem a lot longer to Sticklinch car park. 

Thirty years ago I used to drive Wells to the site via Crossways, which was a great route and avoided most festival traffic, but I believe they potentially close some of that route. 

You'll see on here that even on bigger roads its only 3 minutes longer than what you describe - I'm just saying it seems like that's worth it to save eighty to a hundred quid. 

Screenshot_20230205_015633_Maps.jpg

30 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Thirty years ago I used to drive Wells to the site via Crossways, which was a great route and avoided most festival traffic, but I believe they potentially close some of that route. 

You'll see on here that even on bigger roads its only 3 minutes longer than what you describe - I'm just saying it seems like that's worth it to save eighty to a hundred quid. 

Screenshot_20230205_015633_Maps.jpg

To be fair, I ignored that route as I thought it was closed? Isn't that the route that takes you into Pilton in the bottom right there? I thought roads into Pilton were closed / restricted, and that you have to approach from the side you want? 

Guess I was wrong? Doesn't matter either way, even if you had to go through Glastonbury, there was no traffic until you reached the sticklinch car park turn anyway, so what's that extra from Wells to Glastonbury? 10 minutes? We only chose Glastonbury because it had the shortest direct 'approved' route for Sticklinch, and was much cheaper than it appears to be this year, no way I'd pay what they're asking this year... 

Just checked and we paid £133

115487131_Screenshot2023-02-05023101.thumb.jpg.cb2bbde1fa8d058705dca3d598e1d716.jpg

Edited by Alvoram

34 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

To be fair, I ignored that route as I thought it was closed? Isn't that the route that takes you into Pilton in the bottom right there? I thought roads into Pilton were closed / restricted, and that you have to approach from the side you want? 

Guess I was wrong? Doesn't matter either way, even if you had to go through Glastonbury, there was no traffic until you reached the sticklinch car park turn anyway, so what's that extra from Wells to Glastonbury? 10 minutes? We only chose Glastonbury because it had the shortest direct 'approved' route for Sticklinch, and was much cheaper than it appears to be this year, no way I'd pay what they're asking this year... 

Just checked and we paid £133

115487131_Screenshot2023-02-05023101.thumb.jpg.cb2bbde1fa8d058705dca3d598e1d716.jpg

Wow, wonder if that's cost of living or demand pricing, as it's quite a jump. 

You certainly could be right about closures, it's probably over ten years since I drove any back roads - a decade before that there were loads of folks I gave the Crossways route to, just to avoid some of the queues. 

Now I'd have to defer to @deebeedoobee or one of the other locals about what they close at festival time. 

8 hours ago, clarkete said:

You certainly could be right about closures, it's probably over ten years since I drove any back roads - a decade before that there were loads of folks I gave the Crossways route to, just to avoid some of the queues. 

Now I'd have to defer to @deebeedoobee or one of the other locals about what they close at festival time. 

It's a bloody outrage is what it is, hope nobody has paid it!

I wouldn't put money on me being right, was my first year remember. I just remember reading on here something about the roads through Pilton itself being shut at certain times / in certain directions, So I avoided Pilton altogether in my route planning, to keep it simple. 

25 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

It's a bloody outrage is what it is, hope nobody has paid it!

I wouldn't put money on me being right, was my first year remember. I just remember reading on here something about the roads through Pilton itself being shut at certain times / in certain directions, So I avoided Pilton altogether in my route planning, to keep it simple. 

I'm sure they do close some these days, as with Sat nav its too easy for small lanes to get clogged with larger vehicles. 

10 hours ago, clarkete said:

Yes those lanes are usually closed unless you have a village pass. I've not looked at this year's plans, but I reckon it'll be the same this year. They are mostly one track lanes so not great at any time of the year. Too many 4x4 arseholes who think they own the lanes. The quickest way from Wells is to go to Glastonbury Town and then to Pilton. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

We're paying £146 at Travelodge Yeovil Podimore for a family room (us plus our daughter) but there's no onsite grub AFAIK... I think it's close enough to be ok.

Edited by Boris