2023 line up thread

Guy Incognito

1 hour ago, Thruxton Appleby said:

Re: the FI sub spot. So given it's ??? rather than tbc we think it might be a surprise rather than a late addition. It could therefore be someone special. Someone who is themselves of headline status, but maybe couldn't be announced before for contractual/negotiation reasons, maybe. And someone who hasn't been announced for any other festivals. Perhaps also someone who has their own tour coming up, so has a live show ready to go?

I can't think of anyone who ticks more of those boxes, including the one I just made up, than PJHarvey. I know that's hoping for a lot, but fk it, I'm going to hope anyway. Unless anybody has any inside info to suggest it's impossible?

I think this is the most likely reason and I can't offer anything solid as a guess, apart from I don't think it's necessarily someone not already doing other festivals, but I don't see why PJ would be offered to EOTR, she has no connections with it that would make it more obvious ("she's from nearby" isn't enough)

Some sort of rap sub could be good - Samuel T. Herring is on that Billy Woods/Kenny Segal (and played with them recently) album and has his Hemlock Ernst alter-ego. I am not sure who it would be though and Billy Woods' next date is America in November.

I think maybe wishful thinking on my part it'd be something a bit left field like that, and I don't think there's any precedent for him doing the Hemlock Ernst stuff and Future Islands at the same show haha.

Edited by jplewes

1 hour ago, jplewes said:

Some sort of rap sub could be good - Samuel T. Herring is on that Billy Woods/Kenny Segal (and played with them recently) album and has his Hemlock Ernst alter-ego. I am not sure who it would be though and Billy Woods' next date is America in November.

I think maybe wishful thinking on my part it'd be something a bit left field like that, and I don't think there's any precedent for him doing the Hemlock Ernst stuff and Future Islands at the same show haha.

Only thing worse than having Future Island headline would be also having singer from Future Islands sub-headline. 

3 hours ago, jplewes said:

I doubt he'd be doing them back to back at any rate. Though, and this might be best left for when we're talking about 2024, but I think it's going to be interesting to see which direction EOTR goes over the next couple of years given the divergence between the kind of artists headlining (trad EOTR, pretty much) and a good few of those being brought in further down (The Boat's Windmill/Cafe Oto leanings, the avant-garde electro/rap/pop/doom metal etc) Obviously there aren't many Simz types who could play that high up the bill or big experimental-adjacent bands who could step up to headline (black midi?), but if Supersonic is going to be the same weekend from now on...

Edited by SweepingTheNation
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

I doubt he'd be doing them back to back at any rate. Though, and this might be best left for when we're talking about 2024, but I think it's going to be interesting to see which direction EOTR goes over the next couple of years given the divergence between the kind of artists headlining (trad EOTR, pretty much) and a good few of those being brought in further down (The Boat's Windmill/Cafe Oto leanings, the avant-garde electro/rap/pop/doom metal etc) Obviously there aren't many Simz types who could play that high up the bill or big experimental-adjacent bands who could step up to headline (black midi?), but if Supersonic is going to be the same weekend from now on...

I really hope Supersonic is not going to be the same weekend from now on. I'm hoping it's just this year. I love going to Supersonic gutted it's the same weekend 

1 hour ago, wolfamongwolves said:

I really hope Supersonic is not going to be the same weekend from now on. I'm hoping it's just this year. I love going to Supersonic gutted it's the same weekend 

I was thinking more because it meant sharing international acts (and more, Simon's a big Lankum fan but presumably GM beat him to them too), but yeah, that's fair. Why is it a different weekend this year anyway?

1 hour ago, SweepingTheNation said:

I was thinking more because it meant sharing international acts (and more, Simon's a big Lankum fan but presumably GM beat him to them too), but yeah, that's fair. Why is it a different weekend this year anyway?

Not sure why it's a different weekend don't think Lisa Meyer the Supersonic team have said . 

Normally in July but also had them in June 

19 hours ago, Hurray4theWhiffWhaff said:

Gabriels & Grian were both excellent on Jools Holland this week.  Would be happy with either, or both together 😊 Grian looked like he was enjoying Gabriels

Unfortunately I heard that Grian single once and it was horrendous so that's a no from me.

I'm hoping it's similar to before where they release clues during the festival. Was fun and kept people guessing.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Hurray4theWhiffWhaff said:

Gabriels & Grian were both excellent on Jools Holland this week.  Would be happy with either, or both together 😊 Grian looked like he was enjoying Gabriels

Don't think it can be Grian based on Fontaines' dates, they've got US and Canada shows across EOTR.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, GlitterTea said:

I'll be surprised if ?? is not idles, I'm pretty sure future islands gave them their first big support slot right before they blew up, i reccon it'll get announced after Jamie T at Finsbury Park.

Isn't that being advertised as their only UK summer gig? Also I'm not sure supporting Future Islands five years ago is enough of a link, by which I mean they'd much more likely to be offered to the festival or Simon chase them down, not Samuel making suggestions.

Edited by SweepingTheNation

8 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Isn't that being advertised as their only UK summer gig? Also I'm not sure supporting Future Islands five years ago is enough of a link, by which I mean they'd much more likely to be offered to the festival or Simon chase them down, not Samuel making suggestions.

Well that's why they'd be announced after the Jamie T gig!

I guess Sept isn't technically summer.. 

2 hours ago, zahidf said:

Well that's why they'd be announced after the Jamie T gig!

I guess Sept isn't technically summer.. 

Let's not have the "well, September isn't summer" thing again. I remember a few years ago some big US act cancelled their late summer tour and a lot of people were realy convinced that would mean they'd still be playing EOTR because it started in September (they didn't, obviously)

Whilst I agree that beginning of September is technically summer, when the Jamie T supports were announced IDLES were being billed as their only uk show this year. That’s now changed to only summer show, so definitely some wiggle room on that exclusivity.

Edited by Meades93

34 minutes ago, Meades93 said:

Whilst I agree that beginning of September is technically summer, when the Jamie T supports were announced IDLES were being billed as their only uk show this year. That’s now changed to only summer show, so definitely some wiggle room on that exclusivity.

It looks like it was announced as "only summer show" in January, and sod semantics, EOTR is a summer festival. In any case the only way I'd think they'd play it is if they're announcing a new album around that time, which at their workload is possible.