Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

"Why didn't Emily book a smaller, less suitable band to headline her enormo-fest?"

is a question that I fear we will never get an answer to.

I’ve really been enjoying the “Why not just let Lizzy headline and not book Guns N Roses” comments from the people who clearly don’t like GNR.

I've just re-read The Guardian article. The key wording:

Lizzo will open for the US rockers and has joint headline billing.

isn't the feestival or Emily's wording, but probably an interpretation made by L. Snapes due to the position of Lizzo's name on the poster. 

Anything official from the festival hasn't referred to Lizzo as a headliner or co-headliner:

"The headline slot had already been offered to someone else:.

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

"Why didn't Emily book a smaller, less suitable band to headline her enormo-fest?"

is a question that I fear we will never get an answer to.

Emily wants to make the festival more diverse which is really important yet they have chosen the 3 acts they have for this year. She makes the decisions so if she wants a female headliner then she can arrange that. I totally get that the first choice might have fallen through or some acts aren’t around but for a topic like diversity which is important they could do more in my mind. 

11 hours ago, priest17 said:

Apologies if this has been posted before but I think it shows how far we've come how surprised the media is with all three headliners being male. It's almost as if they've done it in a sort of one step back to go two steps forward in the future. This would have slayed 5 years ago. I'm not even going this year, and it's not a definite every future year as it was for the last 15 years, but keeps it a bit interesting moving forward. They need Swift to headline.

4 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah, although the initial reaction from the masses has been to somewhat scold the festival for booking three male headliners it’s actually quite nice that Glastonbury made such an impact with their 50/50 split campaign that three male headliners is seen as odd whereas just four years ago nobody batted an eyelid. Of course, now that the trend has been set, any time there’s no female acts topping the bill the same scolding will come back in full force, but it’s a big step in the right direction at least, and I hope next years two female headliners gets heaped with praise. 

Completely agree it shows we have progressed, and also that we are not yet there.  It's easy click bait to make the gender split the focus as many will either be critical they've failed or angry that it is even a discussion, unfortunately the latter still exists, whether at the festival or not. I think a significant proportion also agree with the principle but also to some degree the pragmatic choices the festival makes.

I for one consider Lizzo to be one of my headliners- and she's legitimately got a bigger billing than Cat as the legend, which hasn't usually been the case in the past. Hope she gets lots of the headliner type promo in the lead-up - West Holts set on iplayer, Radio 1/2 interviews and a BBC documentary etc.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I've just re-read The Guardian article. The key wording:

Lizzo will open for the US rockers and has joint headline billing.

isn't the feestival or Emily's wording, but probably an interpretation made by L. Snapes due to the position of Lizzo's name on the poster. 

Anything official from the festival hasn't referred to Lizzo as a headliner or co-headliner:

"The headline slot had already been offered to someone else:.

It's a reasonable interpretation though, given her poster placement.

I can't think of Lizzo as a "4th headliner", in the same way I never did for the legends slot either in years when they had top line billing (or Janet Jackson for that matter), but I can see how they got to that conclusion.

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I don't like Arctic Monkeys so why can't Royal Blood headline?

the monkeys are getting a free ride from the other stinkers on the bill. 😛 

2 minutes ago, incident said:

It's a reasonable interpretation though, given her poster placement.

I can't think of Lizzo as a "4th headliner", in the same way I never did for the legends slot either in years when they had top line billing (or Janet Jackson for that matter), but I can see how they got to that conclusion.

Yeah I agree, Lizzo isn’t a headliner on this lineup. She could potentially headline the festival for sure but she isn’t headlining. 

10 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Emily wants to make the festival more diverse which is really important yet they have chosen the 3 acts they have for this year. She makes the decisions so if she wants a female headliner then she can arrange that. I totally get that the first choice might have fallen through or some acts aren’t around but for a topic like diversity which is important they could do more in my mind. 

They’ve chosen three acts that were available and of a suitable size.

They’re not dummies, diversity is on their agenda. They either thought that Lizzo wasn’t up to headling outright or they’d already booked GNR in the slot.

6 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

Haha, yeah. I suppose that if you think it’s crap, the fact that it’s 50 year old crap doesn’t change things.

Fair enough 😅 I mean, I’d agree there’s hardly any good rappers on the poster. Hoping we’ll get more with the next announcement. Just feels weird to write off a whole genre.

7 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

They’re not dummies, diversity is on their agenda. They either thought that Lizzo wasn’t up to headling outright or they’d already booked GNR in the slot.

I’m sure they do have diversity on their agenda but I just found it a bit odd that the organiser who can do something about it passes the responsibility onto the industry when there are female acts that could easily do it. 

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I’m sure they do have diversity on their agenda but I just found it a bit odd that the organiser who can do something about it passes the responsibility onto the industry when there are female acts that could easily do it. 

We know 2 female acts are headlining the Pyramid next year. This year presumably suitable acts weren't available at the time of making the booking. Swings and roundabouts innit?

16 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Yeah, I think it’s a case of ‘now or never’ with both GnR and Elton so if they wanted them they’d have to bite the bullet and book them this year. 
They can easily redress the balance elsewhere on the bill.

Edited by rivalschools.price

Just now, henry bear said:

We know 2 female acts are headlining the Pyramid next year. This year presumably suitable acts weren't available at the time of making the booking. Swings and roundabouts innit?

I didn’t know that to be fair, who are they?

Yes that is very good.

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I didn’t know that to be fair, who are they?

Yes that is very good.

Lifted from the Guardian article the other day (via the 2024 Headliners thread):

Next year’s festival should see two women headline, said Eavis – one confirmed, one close, and both of them Glastonbury first-timers. Rihanna and Madonna are among the top-billing acts who have never played the festival.

13 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Lifted from the Guardian article the other day (via the 2024 Headliners thread):

Next year’s festival should see two women headline, said Eavis – one confirmed, one close, and both of them Glastonbury first-timers. Rihanna and Madonna are among the top-billing acts who have never played the festival.

If that happens it would be excellent and already much better than this year.