Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

11 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Exactly.

It never ceases to amaze me now so many people, including serious and knowledgeable music fans with wide and varied tastes, fail to understand where Eminem is coming from. He even goes so far as to point out that he's only joking in some of his early material.

Yep, 20 years on and people still can't separate art from real life. Despite him writing loads of songs on that very subject. 

He hinted he was gay himself on several occasions, in lyrics and interviews, came out very publically in full support of gay marriage, is good friends with Elton John, and people still think he's homophobic. 

Fair enough @09matthewsw if you just don't like his work, that's understandable. But his record speaks for itself, millions upon millions do, and it's for that reason alone that he'll have earned his spot if he ever gets it. 

1 minute ago, Breeze said:

I am a fan of neither, but *seriously* ? They were both huge pre-Glasto.

I'm not arguing that they weren't huge, I'm arguing that they weren't ground breaking musically.

1 minute ago, gfa said:

Glastonbury book acts well beyond their peak all the time - Eminem cannot be out the picture in this respect

Exactly, lets take a look, 2022 - Macca, several decades beyond his peak. 2013 - Rolling Stones etc, etc, etc

5 minutes ago, Breeze said:

I am a fan of neither, but *seriously* ? They were both huge pre-Glasto.

I mean more in terms of how their bookings broke the norms of what Glastonbury headliners had been before. Both controversial at the time but ended up probably being a good choice by the festival (I think so anyway). I don’t think booking Eminem really brings this and I just don’t think he’s the right fit. It’s not even that I don’t like his work really. Enjoyed watching him at Reading in 2017 but think he suited that festival a lot more than he would Glastonbury. 

8 minutes ago, Breeze said:

Really? Well, I for one couldn't give two hoots if they showed up. The day before yesterday's band. Overrated to the max. 

<Runs for cover>

I don't think you're alone to be fair. General consensus seems to be that glastonbury licked that plate clean long ago. 

3 minutes ago, TGCarr said:

Eminem can't be as bad as his Wembley shows with the fucking atrocious sound. 

Couldn't hear a single word

Wembley is terrible for that though... I don't know why, and have always wondered, especially as they made a big deal out of how the stadium had been designed for sound during construction. But it's often bad... Summertime Balls have been totally unbearable from certain parts of the floor. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Exactly, lets take a look, 2022 - Macca, several decades beyond his peak. 2013 - Rolling Stones etc, etc, etc

So we’re comparing Eminem to Paul McCartney and the Rolling Stones? Those acts were booked on the back of their legendary status - which Eminem does not have. 

Just now, 09matthewsw said:

So we’re comparing Eminem to Paul McCartney and the Rolling Stones? Those acts were booked on the back of their legendary status - which Eminem does not have. 

To you maybe, to mass swathes of multiple generations he does... 25 years this year, and still going strong... 

1 minute ago, 09matthewsw said:

So we’re comparing Eminem to Paul McCartney and the Rolling Stones? Those acts were booked on the back of their legendary status - which Eminem does not have

?????????????

He's literally the most famous rapper in history. Sold more albums than The Rolling Stones in half the time. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Drinky said:

How about if the booking were Dre and Friends including Em (sort of like the Super Bowl last year)? I’d have some of that.

Agree this would be better. Eminem wouldn’t be on stage on his own anyway. Believe he’s usually joined by a buddy who helps fill in the gaps and create a bit more of an atmosphere. 

1 minute ago, 09matthewsw said:

Matter of opinion, Eminem is legendary within his genre, admittedly a genre that many despise for very dubious reasons. IMO the Stones were dreadful, so I left for another group of hiphop legends, Public Enemy on West Holts, one of my all time fav sets.

3 minutes ago, Drinky said:

How about if the booking were Dre and Friends including Em (sort of like the Super Bowl last year)? I’d have some of that.

This is exactly what I'm hoping for. Would be epic.

5 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

To you maybe, to mass swathes of multiple generations he does... 25 years this year, and still going strong... 

3 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

?????????????

He's literally the most famous rapper in history. Sold more albums than The Rolling Stones in half the time. 

A good friend of mine once said "it's not that people don't like hiphop, it's more that they don't like the idea of hiphop"

Think about it.

Edited by Skip997

6 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Matter of opinion, Eminem is legendary within his genre, admittedly a genre that many despise for very dubious reasons. IMO the Stones were dreadful, so I left for another group of hiphop legends, Public Enemy on West Holts, one of my all time fav sets.

This is exactly what I'm hoping for. Would be epic.

That's not true though, loads of sites list him in the top ten most legendary artists of all time, from all genres, first hit on a google search (for: worlds most legendary musicians) lists him as second only to Michael Jackson!!!

https://www.thefamouspeople.com/musicians.php

Don't you just love it when people think their own opinions are reflective of the entire planet... 

Edited by Alvoram

2 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

That's not true though, loads of sites list him in the top ten most legendary artists of all time, first hit on a google search (for: worlds most legendary musicians) lists him as second only to Michael Jackson!!!

https://www.thefamouspeople.com/musicians.php

Don't you just love it when people think their own opinions are reflective of the entire planet... 

Wow, would never have guessed.

Very happy to hear though.

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

Wow, would never have guessed.

Very happy to hear though.

Yeh, I don't think I'd agree with that placement to be honest, it's way off... But he absolutely does have full legendary status globally. 

Ask anybody under 40 (so the majority of the people on the planet) to name the biggest artists of their life time, and his name will definitely pop up a LOT. 

Remember that Eminem was and still is rap for people that don't like rap. That's not to say rap fans don't ALSO like him in droves, of course they do, but there's a lot of people who won't entertain the genre outside of a few exceptions and those are most notably Eminem, Drake and Kanye. I don't need to check any charts to tell you those are the biggest 3 rap artists ever.

Bear in mind also that legendary does not have to mean good. Drake is beige wallpaper and always has been. 

2 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Yeh, I don't think I'd agree with that placement to be honest, it's way off... But he absolutely does have full legendary status globally. 

Ask anybody under 40 (so the majority of the people on the planet) to name the biggest artists of their life time, and his name will definitely pop up a LOT. 

This is interesting, I would never have guessed that, but I'm not under 40.

Attention people under 40.

Name the biggest artists of your life time.

7 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Biggest rather than favourite? Arctic Monkeys and Eminem are a good start. Rihanna should be up there too if I'm thinking about artists I've heard the most* - intentionally or otherwise - in my 30 years here. 

*and Queen and Michael Jackson but that's unrelated to being under 40

Edited by BenG92

8 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I am

Michael Jackson
Queen
Nirvana
Elton John
Eminem
Linkin Park
Beyonce
Tupac Shakur
Ed Sheeran
Coldplay
... And I couldn't leave TS out... Although I think appreciation for her work is mostly quite recent. 

(P.s, I should say at least some of this list may be swayed by my own tastes, but most of it is undeniable.)

Edited by Alvoram

1 minute ago, TGCarr said:

Can't lie Eminem would be a stellar booking, I'm unsure he's due a new album. But lately he's been churning a new one every 2 years.

Massive catalogue, when it tends to have massive gigs he always brings Dr Dre out. Band do sound great.

And long overdue. I can't think of many legends left that have yet to play Glastonbury.