2024 Headliners

1 minute ago, FestivalJamie said:

I didn’t know you can volunteer at Glastonbury. I’ve never been before and would love to see SZA and Coldplay so I’ll have a look. Thanks

You’ve missed the initial opportunities but places still likely to appear if you’ve got wits about you … have a read of volunteers thread there’s a wealth of knowledge in there . At this stage likely oxfam is best bet . 

• Like 1

Industry friend of mine says Kylie definitely playing Glasto. Whether that’s some secret slot or guesting with Chris Martin… or headlining !! She’s definitely bigger worldwide (and especially in US after winning a Grammy and selling out Vegas) since she played the legends slot in 2019. 

Edited by RaphPH

I wonder what people's thoughts are on monthly spotify streams being a proxy for how popular a musician is? Going by monthly streams, then glastonbury seems to have done well this year by booking the 8th, 10th and 13th most streamed artists, but I can't help but notice a sense of deflation from everyone online, on here, reddit and twitter. What's the explanation for this disconnect? 

Another point is that it seems that this year the headliners for pretty much every major festival look disappointing. I looked at Coachella, Sziget and Primavera, unsure if there is a festival with better headliners.

Also, I'm young (<30) and had hardly heard of SZA, when I looked her up on spotify I recognised that kill bill song and the one she did with Kendrick for Black Panther. I'm not sure where all the SZA fans are?

On 3/7/2024 at 8:29 PM, Titanicbryn said:

News broke today on big Brazilian news outlets and the official Rio di Janeiro Instagram page that Madonna is doing a special free concert there in May.

https://oglobo.globo.com/blogs/lauro-jardim/post/2024/03/show-de-madonna-em-copacabana-esta-confirmado-e-deve-ser-o-maior-de-sua-carreira.ghtml

(Non translated link)

This may just be to close the tour she’s on, but it may be relevant to Glastonbury as it does extend things further than expected, especially if Madonna is open to doing something for a lower fee (free in this case!). 

Worth mentioning that for the Rio show, Madonna’s fee and expenses are being paid by ITAU Bank to bring her there. So free for the public, not for her! 

51 minutes ago, ytmnds said:

Also, I'm young (<30) and had hardly heard of SZA, when I looked her up on spotify I recognised that kill bill song and the one she did with Kendrick for Black Panther. I'm not sure where all the SZA fans are?

Well she sold out the arena tour so there’s obviously a lot of fans. There’s plenty of bands / artists who don’t manage to sell out their venues.

if you know all the stars you will probably know kiss me more and good days as well?

54 minutes ago, ytmnds said:

I wonder what people's thoughts are on monthly spotify streams being a proxy for how popular a musician is? Going by monthly streams, then glastonbury seems to have done well this year by booking the 8th, 10th and 13th most streamed artists, but I can't help but notice a sense of deflation from everyone online, on here, reddit and twitter. What's the explanation for this disconnect? 

Another point is that it seems that this year the headliners for pretty much every major festival look disappointing. I looked at Coachella, Sziget and Primavera, unsure if there is a festival with better headliners.

Acts like that have a lot of hardcore fans, but less casuals. In this case I still think SZA is headliner-worthy, but don't expect the masses at a fest like Glasto to fully jump on board.

1 hour ago, OllieMadd said:

I still don't believe it's going to be SZA. I'm back on the ORod train.

I would really enjoy ORod and want this to be true. But, it’s pretty hard to ignore that SZA is playing BST on Glasto weekend.. and that the reason Glasto hasn’t announced yet could very well be because BST needs to shift those tickets which only just went on sale. Much as im not into it personally, SZA  feels like a lock.

6 minutes ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

Acts like that have a lot of hardcore fans, but less casuals. In this case I still think SZA is headliner-worthy, but don't expect the masses at a fest like Glasto to fully jump on board.

This is why I’m a bit undecided whether she’s a ‘good’ headliner for Glastonbury.

Pros: huge fanbase, sold out tour, female representation, SOS is a hugely successful album, progressive direction for Glastonbury.

Cons: a lot of Glastonbury festival goers (who already have their tickets) and if you’re not a fan of her, then you are unlikely to know many songs, which means she will struggle to hype up the average Glastonbury festival goer.

i think her Placement headlining festivals like primerva and roskilde are better because people will buy day tickets to see her, whereas at Glastonbury because it’s already sold out it might make it a more difficult placing 

Edited by FestivalJamie

4 minutes ago, Mark H said:

I would really enjoy ORod and want this to be true. But, it’s pretty hard to ignore that SZA is playing BST on Glasto weekend.. and that the reason Glasto hasn’t announced yet could very well be because BST needs to shift those tickets which only just went on sale. Much as im not into it personally, SZA  feels like a lock.

Rodrigo would be an amazing headliner. But I can’t see them booking both Rodrigo and SZA. 

SZA looks more likely but if they did a co-headline that would be really cool

3 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

This is why I’m a bit undecided whether she’s a ‘good’ headliner for Glastonbury.

Pros: huge fanbase, sold out tour, female representation, SOS is a hugely successful album, progressive direction for Glastonbury.

Cons: a lot of Glastonbury festival goers (who already have their tickets) and if you’re not a fan of her, then you are unlikely to know many songs, which means she will struggle to hype up the average Glastonbury festival goer.

i think her Placement headlining festivals like primerva and roskilde are better because people will buy day tickets to see her, whereas at Glastonbury because it’s already sold out   

People who don’t want to see her can go watch someone else.

I almost certainly won’t see her but that’s fine, there’ll be something else on elsewhere that I will fancy more.

1 hour ago, ytmnds said:

Streaming figures are worldwide and prone to massive recency bias. Therefore selecting an artist with huge streaming figures but no local legacy, it provokes a wow from the global tiktok gen, but a shrug from people of "average" music interest

The reason why headliners and overall lineups this year seem underwhelming? Because the public are suckers for being TOLD what is good. Lineups are picked on the basis of who the industry tell you that you are supposed to like, when in fact, a lot of these artists are f**king shite with 8 or 9/10 reviews from reviewers who are self satisfied gurners pretending their finger is on the pulse. If the industry wants an act to succeed it gets the airplay and you hear it over and over again until you think it ACTUALLY is good. So, the top end of lineups appear poor, because they're diluted by crap. People moaning about LCD and PJ Harvey being poor picks to be high up? Mental. THEY'RE not the problem. The undercards are actually good too, you just have to do your research as they're not getting pushed. Before you moan about lineups, actually listen to stuff outside what's getting pushed on you. The lineup for Glasto, as ever, will be boss, you might just have to look beyond the Pyramid for it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 6

14 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Streaming figures are worldwide and prone to massive recency bias. Therefore selecting an artist with huge streaming figures but no local legacy, it provokes a wow from the global tiktok gen, but a shrug from people of "average" music interest

This is a great take.

The measure I use is “can I name some songs”. Until now there hasn’t been a single Pyramid headliner in the 15 years I have been attending that I haven’t been able to name multiple songs for. Even the many that I didn’t see. In SZAs case I legit can’t name one. 

So from this I infer that a) im getting old b) streaming metrics mean nothing to me.

Edited by Mark H
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OllieMadd said:

Tickets are hardly flying out for SZA at Hyde Park. I just don't see it. But I'm happy that we don't really know. 

I might miss all 3 pyramid headliners for the first time ever and I find that quite exciting!

I would go to BST but I find the tickets incredibly expensive (£118)

Edited by FestivalJamie

9 hours ago, RaphPH said:

Industry friend of mine says Kylie definitely playing Glasto. Whether that’s some secret slot or guesting with Chris Martin… or headlining !! She’s definitely bigger worldwide (and especially in US after winning a Grammy and selling out Vegas) since she played the legends slot in 2019. 

Have we overlooked this post ? Personally I could only see her at headliner level and they might want to give her that after she pulled out . 

24 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Must be as a Coldplay guest? Surely.

Yeah, it’ll be as a guest if she’s there, there’s almost zero chance she’s there in her own slot so soon after 2019, as much as I’d love for that to be the case.