2024 Headliners

Frank Ocean is very popular with people my age (22) - probably to the same extent as Kendrick (and he 100% would be more popular if he released more music i think), however i don't think he is as known / appealing to older people

He's obviously a bit of a weird one though

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, gfa said:

Frank Ocean is very popular with people my age (22) - probably to the same extent as Kendrick (and he 100% would be more popular if he released more music i think), however i don't think he is as known / appealing to older people

I'm 43 and a big fan... but among my friends I don't think anyone else would be bothered (same with kendrick).

1 hour ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

If he had a good live rep he'd be exactly the sort of act that I think they should be chasing to headline. Unfortunately he doesn't, so they shouldn't and wouldn't give him the call.

I think this is absolutely bang on. A cool booking in theory but in reality I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole.

4 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Most iconic and memorable set, sure. But Janelle absolutely stole the show, as anyone at WH would testify.

I had little idea what to expect having never listened to her, but I liked the write up in the program. I had little interest in The Cure (although I like some of their music) as there was no way it was going to better the iconic 1986 lightning storm headline performance. Absolutely no interest in Christine and the Queens, so Janelle it was and it was epic.

12 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I had little idea what to expect having never listened to her, but I liked the write up in the program. I had little interest in The Cure (although I like some of their music) as there was no way it was going to better the iconic 1986 lightning storm headline performance. Absolutely no interest in Christine and the Queens, so Janelle it was and it was epic.

Her set itself was fantastic. All energy, getting the crowd onside from the start and keeping them there, superb set list. But the way she finished, coming off stage and into the heart of the crowd, emerging minutes later with mud all over her face, and that final impassioned monologue to camera before disappearing into the night... everyone knew they'd just experienced something special. Not a festival version of a touring set, but a unique performance that will never be repeated. It was truly exceptional.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Her set itself was fantastic. All energy, getting the crowd onside from the start and keeping them there, superb set list. But the way she finished, coming off stage and into the heart of the crowd, emerging minutes later with mud all over her face, and that final impassioned monologue to camera before disappearing into the night... everyone knew they'd just experienced something special. Not a festival version of a touring set, but a unique performance that will never be repeated. It was truly exceptional.

absolutely this, we were very much in the this will do leading into it, but by the end (and from the very start of set) were in Awe, this is still one of my fave festival sets of all festivals I've been too

7 minutes ago, Chazeboy said:

absolutely this, we were very much in the this will do leading into it, but by the end (and from the very start of set) were in Awe, this is still one of my fave festival sets of all festivals I've been too

Made into my top Glastonbury sets of the 21st century

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Would certainly be a great headline booking. Better than the 3 or 4 rumoured favourites. 

Since we’re already on the subject of Frank Ocean and hip hop adjacent people like Gambino, how do we feel about Tyler, the Creator’s chances at headlining?

He’s one of few American hip hop acts to attract a big following in the U.K., he’s played Glasto in 2013 (with Earl Sweatshirt, who played again this year), and his album IGOR is still top 10 in the hip hop/r&b charts here even though it was released 4 years ago.

4 minutes ago, american idiot said:

Since we’re already on the subject of Frank Ocean and hip hop adjacent people like Gambino, how do we feel about Tyler, the Creator’s chances at headlining?

He’s one of few American hip hop acts to attract a big following in the U.K., he’s played Glasto in 2013 (with Earl Sweatshirt, who played again this year), and his album IGOR is still top 10 in the hip hop/r&b charts here even though it was released 4 years ago.

More likely for other headline / pyramid sub, a slot he is unlikely to take (so essentially the same as childish gambino)

3 minutes ago, american idiot said:

Never gonna happen - simply just not a big enough deal with enough well known material in the U.K. 

Granted, there’s still time for that to change, but his brand of hip-hop is just so often off-kilter and strange that I can’t imagine him getting major hits and suddenly becoming a major force over here. He’s done incredibly well to get as big as he has. Wouldn’t be too surprised to see him get a headliner gig at Reading/Leeds one year, especially if they keep up their duel main stages.

4 minutes ago, FloopFiller said:

Never gonna happen - simply just not a big enough deal with enough well known material in the U.K. 

Granted, there’s still time for that to change, but his brand of hip-hop is just so often off-kilter and strange that I can’t imagine him getting major hits and suddenly becoming a major force over here. He’s done incredibly well to get as big as he has. Wouldn’t be too surprised to see him get a headliner gig at Reading/Leeds one year, especially if they keep up their duel main stages.

Unfortunately, I think you’re right. Much more likely to be offered to headline the Other stage, and like gfa said, he probably wouldn’t accept. 

Then again, I thought Lana Del Rey was too big and too expensive to headline the Other stage, and Glasto got her anyways.

Also, if well-known material is the issue, why are we always discussing Dave as a potential headliner in here? Is it just because he’s British? I’m not sure his fanbase here is even as strong as someone like Tyler’s locally. Or is it just because he’d be relatively cheap and everyone wants to try catching lightning in a bottle twice with a Stormzy moment?

9 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Dave is way more popular than Tyler in the UK and it's not even close.

How is it not even close when Tyler has had more top 10 albums than him? Especially when half of Dave’s hits have come off the back of collaborating with Central Cee (who is exponentially more popular among young people), not solo work.

and I don’t mean to come off sounding like I don’t like Dave’s music, I do. He’d probably smash a headliner set. I’m just curious where your line of thinking comes from.

Edited by american idiot

1 minute ago, american idiot said:

How is it not even close when Tyler has had more top 10 albums than him? Especially when half of Dave’s hits have come off the back of collaborating with Central Cee (who is exponentially more popular among young people), not solo work. 

and I don’t mean to come off sounding like I don’t like Dave’s music, I do. He’d probably smash a headliner set. I’m just curious where your line of thinking comes from.

Because Dave literally only has 2 albums and Tyler has 6, none of which have gone to number one whereas both of Dave's have.

What do you mean half of Dave's hits have been with Central Cee haha? It's not even worth responding because it's just not true.

Dave's a wee bit away from household name status, but he's still an heir apparent when it comes to G headline status and is often seen in the nation's living rooms on things like the Brit Qwards.

He's obviously already got a relationship with the festival too - his viral Alex from Glastonbury moment, guesting with Stormzy and again this year with Cench, etc.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Dave's a wee bit away from household name status, but he's still an heir apparent when it comes to G headline status and is often seen in the nation's living rooms on things like the Brit Qwards.

He's obviously already got a relationship with the festival too - his viral Alex from Glastonbury moment, guesting with Stormzy and again this year with Cench, etc.

All this, plus with the festival probably going two years in a row with no hip hop headliner but rock and pop amply catered for makes me think he's a potential shoo in for 2025.