2024 Headliners

59 minutes ago, tomf3 said:

Probably been asked many times before, but do you think there are any artists currently around who would have the mass appeal that Elton had? Madonna is possibly as close as it gets at this point, although I do think me and most people I speak to would be far less set on seeing her than Elton, if something decent was on elsewhere.

Return of the Stones

3 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Return of the Stones

Yeah I wondered about them, but the first one felt so unmissable as they'd been rumored forever and it was finally happening. 2nd time round I think would lose some of appeal. Fleetwood Mac I think would be close, but of course almost certainly won't happen now.

10 minutes ago, tomf3 said:

Yeah I wondered about them, but the first one felt so unmissable as they'd been rumored forever and it was finally happening. 2nd time round I think would lose some of appeal. Fleetwood Mac I think would be close, but of course almost certainly won't happen now.

Both sadly true. I'd still be mad for either

Edited by Superscally

23 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

And Wizkid is massive in the afrobeats world which Glastonbury is pretty tapped into.

Maybe i'm ignorant but who have they booked in a decently big slot from afrobeats other than Burna Boy last year?

5 minutes ago, gfa said:

Maybe i'm ignorant but who have they booked in a decently big slot from afrobeats other than Burna Boy last year?

You're missing the point. Afrobeats is a greater part of the culture in the UK than America, as latin music is a greater part of the culture in America than the UK.

You said Coachella don't make bookings like the Wizkid one, I'm saying they do, just in other genres. And besides, they gave Burna Boy a big slot this year like you said. Glasto have only given Burna Boy and Wizkid big slots from the genre. It's hardly much more.

18 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

You're missing the point. Afrobeats is a greater part of the culture in the UK than America, as latin music is a greater part of the culture in America than the UK.

You said Coachella don't make bookings like the Wizkid one, I'm saying they do, just in other genres. And besides, they gave Burna Boy a big slot this year like you said. Glasto have only given Burna Boy and Wizkid big slots from the genre. It's hardly much more.

I'm saying Coachella do far more of it

Glasto have given 2 acts in afrobeats big slots - Coachella have given countless latin / k pop / other global genres big slots

If Glasto were throwing in 5 afrobeats acts per year across the undercard you would have a point, but they have put 1 act in each year for 2 years in a row and nothing before that. Hardly trailblazing is it

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

They do also book Latin artists to be fair.  Not to headline, but I've seen a good old chunk of them over the years.

(And reggae, amapiano, Indian, Mongolian throat-singing metal, etc).

Glastonbury and Coachella both do diversity well just in different ways. Glastonbury have a great base for it with all the different areas but towards the top of the lineup, Coachella are undoubtedly the best at it.

Just now, gfa said:

Glastonbury and Coachella both do diversity well just in different ways. Glastonbury have a great base for it with all the different areas but towards the top of the lineup, Coachella are undoubtedly the best at it.

Could it be said that Coachella’s diversity is ideally suited for its relatively narrow age range demographic, whereas Glastonbury’s is suited for its much wider age band? 

12 minutes ago, gfa said:

I'm saying Coachella do far more of it

Glasto have given 2 acts in afrobeats big slots - Coachella have given countless latin / k pop / other global genres big slots

If Glasto were throwing in 5 afrobeats acts per year across the undercard you would have a point, but they have put 1 act in each year for 2 years in a row and nothing before that. Hardly trailblazing is it

Ah apologies, I read your original post as you saying Glasto do more and using Wizkid as an example. We agree then.

13 minutes ago, gfa said:

I'm still not so sure. 2023's Coachella headline line-up is a bit of an outlier and gives an impression of a global outlook that isn't really reflected over the longer span of the fest.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'm still not so sure. 2023's Coachella headline line-up is a bit of an outlier and gives an impression of a global outlook that isn't really reflected over the longer span of the fest.

Pretty true this

Will be interesting to see whether that is sustained - Glasto could easily catchup

16 minutes ago, sadimmock said:

Could it be said that Coachella’s diversity is ideally suited for its relatively narrow age range demographic, whereas Glastonbury’s is suited for its much wider age band? 

tough one this

Without giving it a push you never get there in the first place, fans of afrobeats won't start coming unless theirs music for them. Its the same with rap / dance / any other genre - once they are properly provided for people start coming but for now if I was primarily an afrobeats fan glasto would be rubbish value

3 hours ago, tomf3 said:

Probably been asked many times before, but do you think there are any artists currently around who would have the mass appeal that Elton had? Madonna is possibly as close as it gets at this point, although I do think me and most people I speak to would be far less set on seeing her than Elton, if something decent was on elsewhere.

In short, no.

It doesn’t get bigger than Elton in terms of mass appeal. 

Madonna will get a huge crowd. 

Prince would have too. 

25 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

When does BST usually announce ? That might give us a bit more 

its very staggered, but should start soon - probably november

apparently bruce is doing it and announcing a load of shows next week i think someone said

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, tomf3 said:

Are Coldplay definitely looking very likely, and any word in if Blur might do it? Aside from Coldplay being quite an uninspired booking, it's most concerning as they seem to always bring atrocious weather with them 

This is true isn't it? Don't think I've ever seen that noticed until now.