2024 Headliners

27 minutes ago, JP1994 said:

Am I the only one that can’t fathom the idea of Dua Lipa headlining?

Could be the worst headliner in the history of the festival in my opinion. I’m in no way into current mainstream chart music but ‘get’ Taylor Swift/Rihanna due to their sheer colossal size. Dua Lipa’s music has nothing to it in my opinion.

It annoys me when bands like Foals, QOTSA, Tame Impala have yet to headline the Pyramid with the sheer amount of talent and hard work they’ve put into their careers.

I get Billie (Eilish) and Dua are popular but I feel they’ve not earned the right to headline.

You are not the only one, no. I too do not get it. 

I am at my own admission a bit old now, but even so, I still understood the appeal of Billie Eilish to a certain extent (not my cup of tea but that is hardly the point!) but am struggling to see what DL would bring to the table.. 

Hopefully if they do go down the route of a poppy act for either the Saturday or Sunday that will leave a nice Blur / Pulp gap for the Friday and perhaps a Madonna type legend on the Sunday...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gashead86 said:

You are not the only one, no. I too do not get it. 

I am at my own admission a bit old now, but even so, I still understood the appeal of Billie Eilish to a certain extent (not my cup of tea but that is hardly the point!) but am struggling to see what DL would bring to the table.

Hopefully if they do go down the route of a poppy act for either the Saturday or Sunday that will leave a nice Blur / Pulp gap for the Friday and perhaps a Madonna type legend on the Sunday...

Other than being a music artist with lots of songs that a large amount of people really like?

Combined with a reasonable history of putting on live shows that people have really enjoyed?

Not sure what else specifically someone needs to bring necessarily to the table to be in the Pyramid stage headliner pool.

1 minute ago, AVALON.G said:

I think the level of aggression an disrespect is getting a bit nasty for this normally quite pleasant platform. 

Insulting someone has never convinced them you are right. 

The headliner threads always go a bit silly every now and then. People put their personal bias on who they like/what they like over if the person can actually headline. There is nothing to say that Dua Lipa can't headline at the current stage in her career, let alone after another successful album. Its purely 'I don't get it' as a reason for not wanting it to happen. 

1 minute ago, JonSnow said:

Other than being a music artist with lots of songs that a large amount of people really like?

Combined with a reasonable history of putting on live shows that people have really enjoyed?

Not sure what else specifically someone needs to bring necessarily to the table to be in the Pyramid stage headliner pool.

Completely agree. What did Arctics bring to the table? Have done it before, their last 2 albums were crap and are not playing the songs people enjoy in the ways they enjoy them. No stage show, very little stage presence?

It makes no sense, that kinda stuff can be said for any artist. If they are popular enough and have the songs, it doesn't matter if you like them or not. 

dua lipa is not an archetypal headliner, but she will and if glastonbury can't give uk talent that final push then it's shame on them.

There's bunch of acts, like foals, who at some point could have - or were at least one big album from - headlined but the timing just didn't work out which is a shame but oh well.

2 minutes ago, JonSnow said:

Context or notability doesn't hurt. Stormzy's show. Elton's last show.

It's what makes Dua Lipa a better and more likely booking than, e.g. Tame Impala or Jim Beef.

15 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

This argument is so old now. The same sh*t has been said constantly, the same sh*t was said when Jay Z headlined.

The rhetoric you're using could of been used for Arctics first headline slot. Haven't earned it, aren't big enough, don't have a good enough show and are only liked by high schoolers. 

Glastonbury is always going to have indie bands, they will always have and try to get the biggest acts at the time to headline. Dua Lipa is one of the current biggest pop acts in the world who has yet to do it. This year you had Arctic Monkeys and Guns N Roses, yet here you are saying 'Forget about bands' Ridiculous statements. 

That's not what I said though. I said if we are basing it off Spotify streams that's what would happen. Thankfully we are not though 

Pop music is always going to be most popular. Kind of self explanatory. Take That would probably be popular for some folk. 

I don't want them to limit any music genre. It all has it's place. I just dont think I'd go watching Dua Lipa or Harry Styles 

4 minutes ago, vertigocarbon said:

these types of markets (ones that can be gamed by being ITK) are limited. almost certain you won't be able to lay

Thanks. Assumed that'd be the case - just a shame that with the bookies taking money off uninformed punters for something already certain to not happen, that we can't also take some of that money back.

29 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

The headliner threads always go a bit silly every now and then. People put their personal bias on who they like/what they like over if the person can actually headline. There is nothing to say that Dua Lipa can't headline at the current stage in her career, let alone after another successful album. Its purely 'I don't get it' as a reason for not wanting it to happen. 

Agreed. Whether someone personally likes an act is irrelevant to whether that act can/should/will headline. I would have 0 interest in The 1975 or Rihanna or Harry Styles but if they were the 3 headliners next year I’d have no qualms. All fair enough bookings in my eyes.

31 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Objective thinking is underrated. 

1 minute ago, MEGABOWL said:

Agreed. Whether someone personally likes an act is irrelevant to whether that act can/should/will headline. I would have 0 interest in The 1975 or Rihanna or Harry Styles but if they were the 3 headliners next year I’d have no qualms. All fair enough bookings in my eyes.

Which is what some of us were saying tbf and that we'd go to the other stage instead. They are definitely headline acts as you say. 

Only issue I would have is that if all three are pop mainstream acts. It would be overkill. 

Just now, Benjsh said:

Only issue I would have is that if all three are pop mainstream acts. It would be overkill. 

Balance is better overall - and there's merit to the argument that they didn't quite get that element of it down this year (unlike last).

But if its quite pop heavy in 2024 they can just point to it as a course correction.

Dua, Dave and AC/DC - something for everyone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Balance is better overall - and there's merit to the argument that they didn't quite get that element of it down this year (unlike last).

But if its quite pop heavy in 2024 they can just point to it as a course correction.

Dua, Dave and AC/DC - something for everyone.

I could live with that.

AC/DC would be ace too. 

8 minutes ago, Benjsh said:

Which is what some of us were saying tbf and that we'd go to the other stage instead. They are definitely headline acts as you say. 

Yeah I can see that, I picked the names out of the air TBH. Though they could say one is guitar based, one R&B, one pure pop.

The same argument would apply as with the three they booked this year to my mind. Or the 2009 trio. Rihanna and especially Harry Styles-one of the biggest ticket shifters in the world right now that isn’t Coldplay or Taylor Swift-may be one shot deals. If they’re willing to do it for a Glastonbury side fee they’ll have to take the chance to sign them. Maybe not as true with The 1975 admittedly.l but it would also apply to, say, Madonna.

8 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

100% going to be Taylor Swift.  God knows how people have convinced themsleves otherwise.

Will say what I said earlier:

Most of her tour is 3 dates in the same arena/stadium . Followed by a break and then another set of 3. She has two in Dublin and then the Sunday 'free' followed by a  break, most people think that the Sunday will be filled in by a Dublin date. 

Its also a pop show, with lights, choreography and costumes to match the show, that would all have to be changed as she is not bringing the same show she is doing over to Glastonbury. If you've seen ANY videos from the show, she is constantly on moving stages and the routines and band interact with those stages too. 

Then you add in that her shows have been 3 hours + and would have to change the setlist considerably  which hasn't changed the whole tour.

So that's a brand new production, brand new choreograph, different set list. All needing to be rehearsed and presented while you're still on your current tour, set up within a different country 24 hours after your performing your regular performance that you've been doing for a year. For a one off show. 

Edited by chazwwe

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

You really think it would be all the hard for a professional like her to simply cut it down for Glastonbury and bring a subsection of it all to the Pyramid ? 

Its not usually an issue for other artists.  I don't think anything you listed is a real blocker unless she wanted it to be.

Wouldn't she have had similar issues in 2020 ? 

No. In 2020 she was doing a run of festivals, presumably with a bespoke show in mind.

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

You really think it would be all the hard for a professional like her to simply cut it down for Glastonbury and bring a subsection of it all to the Pyramid ? 

Its not usually an issue for other artists.  I don't think anything you listed is a real blocker unless she wanted it to be.

Wouldn't she of had similar issues in 2020

The tour she was doing in 2020 was a specific festival tour. It was dubbed 'The Lover Festival' She had her own 'Shows' billed as 1 day festivals. 

She has 8 moving platforms in the centre of the stage, that all independently move by themselves and as a whole unit. That's used for most of the songs. Along with a scaffold structure that's used for 1 song. Then a fully fitted 'cabin' that she uses for a good portion of her set. That she interacts with. It's a MASSIVE production. 
The Eras Tour: The Intricate World-Building Behind Taylor Swift's Most  Ambitious Sets Ever | Architectural Digest
Taylor Swift launches Eras tour with three-hour, 44-song set - BBC News

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Or its Glastonbury 🙂

We will see 😛 

I want it to be her, just because I think getting tickets for her actual shows are going to be as insane as Glastonbury tickets will be. So more chance. If its not her, I'll still be trying to see her on tour.