Roskilde 2023

mln

12 minutes ago, shivroy said:

Could Florence be playing this one?

She is in Ireland the first wednesday of the festival and Greece the sunday after the festival, so she needs a concert or two somewhere between Ireland and Greece. I would not say she is a lock, but it would be an obvious stop to add and Roskilde have been extremely focused on booking females in the latest editions and her latest Roskilde apperance was in 2015. Maybe she is the Big female headliner, but could also be Lizzo (she's got a gig in Denmark in February so wont be announced before that at least) or someone we do not know yet. 

Still hoping for Kendrick as he was announced for both 2020 and 2021 editions. He "owes" us a great concert on the Orange Stage.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2022 at 5:38 PM, Deckard said:

I usually stay in Copenhagen for this festival. The trains run all night to Copenhagen from the west gate but frequency drops to one every couple of hours after 4am. There are also buses from the East Gate which usually run between midnight and 4am every few minutes to the Copenhagen Railway Station. The buses usually take longer but the trains can be the same as they take a while to cram everyone on and then stop at Roskilde Station for many to get off before heading to Copenhagen. 

How much do trains back and forth usually cost? I’m in Copenhagen during the festival and fancy going but I’ll be staying at an apartment. 

6 hours ago, Brad1956 said:

How much do trains back and forth usually cost? I’m in Copenhagen during the festival and fancy going but I’ll be staying at an apartment. 

Going there it’s quite cheap because you can just take public transport and it would be around 35kr or 5€ to go, to comeback there are “festival trains”, those go directly to Copenhagen central station and you need pay for both the ticket plus the supplement of riding this train, I think it was a bit more than 5 or 6€ 

• 3 weeks later...

I actually thought that Kendrick would be totally in for Roskilde and during his Copenhagen concert in October 2022 he said that he would be back soon, but now that he has a concert date on Friday and Saturday during Roskilde I doubt he could come unless he comes on Wednesday, but then Arctic Monkeys are also a strong contender to play on Wednesday as both in Poland and Belgium they are playing the same day that QOTSA and they have Wednesday free and I think the chance they would come is bigger than Kendrick. 

• 2 weeks later...

Danish Radio said that big announcements for Roskilde are coming soon (probably weeks or days). Also other festivals like Lollapalooza Stockholm (that is during Roskilde days) is going to announce names very soon as said in their official post, so expect an announcement during the following 2 weeks. 

On the other hand Lana del Rey is touring next summer so maybe she is the female headliner of on the days. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, festivalguy97 said:

Danish Radio said that big announcements for Roskilde are coming soon (probably weeks or days). Also other festivals like Lollapalooza Stockholm (that is during Roskilde days) is going to announce names very soon as said in their official post, so expect an announcement during the following 2 weeks. 

On the other hand Lana del Rey is touring next summer so maybe she is the female headliner of on the days. 

For a while there was info on Lolla Stockholm website that the line-up and tickets woule drop in January, now it's gone. So either we're getting the line-up tomorrow or something didn't go according to the plan and the announcement is postponed.

So basically Roskilde is just following other festivals and there is no surprise factor for these announcements, they are just whatever is touring around that time. 

Therefore the final lineup (that might be coming on the 28th of February as the last 3 announcements all came on the last day of each month) might include either Arctic Monkeys or Kendrick Lamar or Stromae or Stormzy or Black Keys. 

Billie Eilish seems out as she’s not touring around that time, Travis Scott doesn’t seem fitting the festival direction, Drake, Beyoncé and Taylor Swift are probably too expensive and having their own tours. The only one that could be sort of a surprise is Lana de Rey. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

So basically Roskilde is just following other festivals and there is no surprise factor for these announcements, they are just whatever is touring around that time. 

Therefore the final lineup (that might be coming on the 28th of February as the last 3 announcements all came on the last day of each month) might include either Arctic Monkeys or Kendrick Lamar or Stromae or Stormzy or Black Keys. 

Billie Eilish seems out as she’s not touring around that time, Travis Scott doesn’t seem fitting the festival direction, Drake, Beyoncé and Taylor Swift are probably too expensive and having their own tours. The only one that could be sort of a surprise is Lana de Rey. 

they're still missing a big name for Saturday, right? It won't be Kendrick (playing Open'er that day) and probably it won't be AM (Friday - Open'er, Sunday - Werchter). Guess it may be Lizzo?

49 minutes ago, mln said:

they're still missing a big name for Saturday, right? It won't be Kendrick (playing Open'er that day) and probably it won't be AM (Friday - Open'er, Sunday - Werchter). Guess it may be Lizzo?

Yes, Saturday is missing a headliner. 

Kendrick most likely is opening the festival on Wednesday. 

Lizzo is already having a show here in Copenhagen so I don’t think she would come. 

Arctic Monkeys can come either on Thursday or Saturday, although they would have to play 3 shows in a row if they come. Therefore I’m a bit lost about who’s going to be the 4th headliner. Probably it will be a female artist, to balance the all the male headliners, Rosalía is apparently playing at Arena, so it’s someone else, Lana del Rey and at the last chance Billie Eilish or SZA. 

22 hours ago, festivalguy97 said:

Yes, Saturday is missing a headliner. 

Kendrick most likely is opening the festival on Wednesday. 

Lizzo is already having a show here in Copenhagen so I don’t think she would come. 

Arctic Monkeys can come either on Thursday or Saturday, although they would have to play 3 shows in a row if they come. Therefore I’m a bit lost about who’s going to be the 4th headliner. Probably it will be a female artist, to balance the all the male headliners, Rosalía is apparently playing at Arena, so it’s someone else, Lana del Rey and at the last chance Billie Eilish or SZA. 

Florence for saturday? I think she's available

Unfortunately Roskilde have lost their golden, magic touch of building a strong lineup. They're OK, but that's it.
They're just not there. They can't compete with the biggest festivals in Europe anymore like lineup wise. They used to be one of the absolute strongest.
Hoping, very much for a large number of good bands and artists in the coming releases.

With that said - Roskilde are still my defo number one favourite festival and that is why i'm criticise them. 

On 2/1/2023 at 9:52 AM, shivroy said:

Florence for saturday? I think she's available

Florence is already going to Malmo that is very close to Copenhagen so I really doubt that she would come to Roskilde. Also looking at the style do artists Roskilde is bringing in this edition I don’t think she would fit in their style. 

Billie Eilish, Lana del Rey, SZA seem to be more apropriate.  

15 hours ago, UnBiloTitled said:

Unfortunately Roskilde have lost their golden, magic touch of building a strong lineup. They're OK, but that's it.
They're just not there. They can't compete with the biggest festivals in Europe anymore like lineup wise. They used to be one of the absolute strongest.
Hoping, very much for a large number of good bands and artists in the coming releases.

With that said - Roskilde are still my defo number one favourite festival and that is why i'm criticise them. 

I agree and disagree.

I agree that Roskilde lineups used to be better overall with bigger headliners and the undercard was also amazing, from hip hop to metal everything was good. 

But I disagree that other festivals are better, festivals in general in this post covid era of 2022 and 2023 all seem very dull and forced, even Primavera Sound and Rock Werchter that used to be very good are now having lineups that are not very consistent. In that sense Roskilde is doing the same, but that is a common problem now with festivals in Europe and US, only Glastonbury is keeping it nice with both big and small acts. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, festivalguy97 said:

I agree and disagree.

I agree that Roskilde lineups used to be better overall with bigger headliners and the undercard was also amazing, from hip hop to metal everything was good. 

But I disagree that other festivals are better, festivals in general in this post covid era of 2022 and 2023 all seem very dull and forced, even Primavera Sound and Rock Werchter that used to be very good are now having lineups that are not very consistent. In that sense Roskilde is doing the same, but that is a common problem now with festivals in Europe and US, only Glastonbury is keeping it nice with both big and small acts. 

Primavera Sound, even having a weak lineup compared to other years, still has a number of artists who years ago could go to Roskilde, and it seems that today it is impossible.They continue to bring those metal, rock, indie, and electronic jewels. Where is the electronic music in Roskilde?

For example, bands that go to Primavera and years ago could fit in Roskilde : Darkside, The War on Drugs, Boris,  Le Tigre, Built to Spill, Black Country New Road, Swans, Bad Religion, The Comet is Coming, Brutalismus 3000, Ascendant Vierge, The Moldy Peaches, Nation of Language, Unwound, Come, Karate, The Mars Volta, Ghost, Four Tet, My Morning Jacket, Fka Twigs, Gilla Band, John Cale... 

Where is that kind of artist? People want more of it, and less Central Cee's. This is a pretty expensive festival, and the line-up is packed with a bunch of unknown artists for the majority of festival goers, hyped artist from tiktok, and a few interesting bands. 

Biggest problem to me with this line up is the medium names. Having Christine and the Queens as a headliner here (10th name of her day on PS) is simply a political move. They are more focused in their "diversity, equality" and all that political stuff than having a powerfull line-up. 

And once again, WHERE IS THE ELECTRONIC MUSIC? You have touring on those dates bands like M83 or Rufus du Sol...

Edited by davidoffescassi
  • Upvote 1

On 2/5/2023 at 4:03 AM, festivalguy97 said:

When did Primavera Sound have a less than excellent lineup? This year they blow every other major festival lineup out of the water. Again. Every time I look at that lineup I see new stuff I want to see. 

I still think there are many big name slots remaining to be announced.
Going by the info on the website itself of already announced bands it looks like this so far:

Wednesday
Orange: ???, ???, ???
Arena: Queens Of The Stone Age, Fever Ray

Thursday
Orange: Burna Boy, Lil Nas X, Tove Lo
Arena: Central Cee, ???

Friday
Orange: Blur, Christine And The Queens, ???
Arena: Rosalia, ???

Saturday
Orange: ???, ???, ???
Arena: ???, ???

Can probably fill two of those top headliner slots with Arctic Monkeys and Kendrick Lamar. Maybe LDR in Arena.

The fact that they are getting QOTSA and Rosalia, two pretty big names who could easily be doing Orange, to be headlining the 2nd stage is a huge get. Especially when last year they had Chvrches, Biffy Clyro and The Smile in roughly the same slots.

Edited by FrogLobster

On 2/5/2023 at 11:32 AM, davidoffescassi said:

For example, bands that go to Primavera and years ago could fit in Roskilde : Darkside, The War on Drugs, Boris,  Le Tigre, Built to Spill, Black Country New Road, Swans, Bad Religion, The Comet is Coming, Brutalismus 3000, Ascendant Vierge, The Moldy Peaches, Nation of Language, Unwound, Come, Karate, The Mars Volta, Ghost, Four Tet, My Morning Jacket, Fka Twigs, Gilla Band, John Cale... 

Ghost are headlining Copenhell so no chance they will play Roskilde aswell this year.
War On Drugs also headlining a much smaller one day festival in Copenhagen so they can't play either.

Plenty of slots for those other bands to still play. FKA Twigs was booked for some of the mid-pandemic Roskilde lineups but didn't end up playing (or even tour?) 2022 so could be back this year.

Edited by FrogLobster

2 hours ago, FrogLobster said:

Ghost are headlining Copenhell so no chance they will play Roskilde aswell this year.
War On Drugs also headlining a much smaller one day festival in Copenhagen so they can't play either.

Plenty of slots for those other bands to still play. FKA Twigs was booked for some of the mid-pandemic Roskilde lineups but didn't end up playing (or even tour?) 2022 so could be back this year.

I know, but my point is not about that specific bands, more about that type of music acts. They are under represented on the line up. 

My first Roskilde was 2018. They had Eminem and Bruno Mars as headliners, super exclusive for a music festival, but they also had a nice bunch of big electronic names as Massive Attack, Odesza, The Blaze, or Four Tet. We don't have anything like this by far this year. Also, big "hardcore" names as NIN, My Bloody Valentine, Chelsea Wolfe, Legends as Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds or David Byrne, Female stars as Dua Lipa, Sigrid, Fever Ray Cardi B, St Vincent, more "indie-Primavera Sound bands " as Mogwai, Gorillaz, Interpol, Fleet Foxes and special acts as Charlotte Gainsbourg, Boris & Merzow, and, in the "urban" section, Anderson Paak, Joey Badass, Danny Brown, Vince Staples, Sampha, Young Fathers, just to say a few. 

Some of those names weren't that big on 2018 like now, but they had a perfect mix between huge massive stars, big bands, and new names. THAT was a balanced Line-Up. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, davidoffescassi said:

I know, but my point is not about that specific bands, more about that type of music acts. They are under represented on the line up. 

My first Roskilde was 2018. They had Eminem and Bruno Mars as headliners, super exclusive for a music festival, but they also had a nice bunch of big electronic names as Massive Attack, Odesza, The Blaze, or Four Tet. We don't have anything like this by far this year. Also, big "hardcore" names as NIN, My Bloody Valentine, Chelsea Wolfe, Legends as Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds or David Byrne, Female stars as Dua Lipa, Sigrid, Fever Ray Cardi B, St Vincent, more "indie-Primavera Sound bands " as Mogwai, Gorillaz, Interpol, Fleet Foxes and special acts as Charlotte Gainsbourg, Boris & Merzow, and, in the "urban" section, Anderson Paak, Joey Badass, Danny Brown, Vince Staples, Sampha, Young Fathers, just to say a few. 

Some of those names weren't that big on 2018 like now, but they had a perfect mix between huge massive stars, big bands, and new names. THAT was a balanced Line-Up. 

Well, its not even the full 2023 lineup. Lets wait until thats announced before comparing it 1 to 1 with a lineup from 5 years ago. 😄 

Edited by FrogLobster
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, davidoffescassi said:

2023's lineup is not complete. As mentioned above, we still need a fair share of headliners and prominent artists. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, matrainertje said:

When did Primavera Sound have a less than excellent lineup? This year they blow every other major festival lineup out of the water. Again. Every time I look at that lineup I see new stuff I want to see. 

I didn’t say that Primavera has a bad lineup, they still have the strongest lineup of all festivals this year and last year, but the quality of the festival is weaker than leste say 5 years ago, the small artists are still good but the medium size and big artists are getting worse. They used to mix nice lineups with for example Bon Iver, Kendrick, Arcade Fire and Frank Ocean to start having Calvin Harris and reggaeton artists. And still they are better than other festivals like Roskilde as the depth of the festival is still good. 

Edited by festivalguy97