Roskilde 2023

mln

1 hour ago, davidoffescassi said:

Frank Ocean >>> Kendrick Lamar and Lizzo

You like headline acts that turn up an hour late, hiding at the back of the stage during the set, obvious lip synching into the camera and then at the end just walking off with a shrug when hitting the curfew? Or what is your intepretation of what happened at Coachella?

Frank is great on record; but is not a live act that should be taking a top slot.

Edited by FrogLobster

1 hour ago, Martin_89 said:

That is just false, he's a very, very good live singer. But he's a bad entertainer, and therefore not very fitted for festivals. Would love to see him in a club setting.

Explain this; he doesn't have a microphone for majority of the song and is singing to a backing track/backing singer.

Edited by FrogLobster

20 minutes ago, FrogLobster said:

Explain this; he doesn't have a microphone for majority of the song and is singing to a backing track/backing singer.

That is obvs a song he dosen’t sing (yeah, it’a very weird that he does that). You made it sound that he tried to lip sync. You don’t lip sync when you don’t have a microphone on you. Seems like he tried to get the audience to sing the song (still very weird). My point was that he does sing very good live.

1 hour ago, Martin_89 said:

That is obvs a song he dosen’t sing (yeah, it’a very weird that he does that). You made it sound that he tried to lip sync. You don’t lip sync when you don’t have a microphone on you. Seems like he tried to get the audience to sing the song (still very weird). My point was that he does sing very good live.

Regardless if we can call what he did Lip Synching or not (He is clearly moving his lips to synchronise with a backing track), I usually like my headliners to be.... actually singing when they are on stage. Or atleast attempting to. Frank looks like he is waiting at a bus stop, not headlining one of the most famous festivals on the planet.

(I do really like him on album)

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, FrogLobster said:

Regardless if we can call what he did Lip Synching or not (He is clearly moving his lips to synchronise with a backing track), I usually like my headliners to be.... actually singing when they are on stage. Or atleast attempting to. Frank looks like he is waiting at a bus stop, not headlining one of the most famous festivals on the planet.

(I do really like him on album)

Agree. He is one of my absolute favorite recording artists, truly love his music and his weird-shit persona. But last night's mess was just underwhelming. I wouldn't care for it as a casual festivalgoer and would probably hate it as someone who was actually hyped about this comeback.

Maybe he'll pull another endless/blond gag and next week will be phenomenal.

Edited by Ohad

On 4/17/2023 at 9:20 AM, FrogLobster said:

Watching the footage of Frank Ocean at Coachella; im very happy he isn't booked to headline Roskilde.🤣

Still doesn’t change the fact that this years lineup feels quite empty, although I agree that Frank Ocean at Coachella was very bad, booking him for Roskilde would sell much more tickets and give some hype to the festival. As much as I like Lizzo I think just having her as a headliner of Saturday is very poor. I don’t understand why SZA wasn’t booked to co headline that day. 

On 4/17/2023 at 2:18 PM, davidoffescassi said:

Frank Ocean >>> Kendrick Lamar and Lizzo

Kendrick is amazing live, I went to see him on his solo tour last year with Baby Keem, and they were amazing. Lizzo is also a very good performer. 

On 4/17/2023 at 3:28 PM, FrogLobster said:

You like headline acts that turn up an hour late, hiding at the back of the stage during the set, obvious lip synching into the camera and then at the end just walking off with a shrug when hitting the curfew? Or what is your intepretation of what happened at Coachella?

Frank is great on record; but is not a live act that should be taking a top slot.

That sounds better than Lil Nas to me 👻

Stage changes!

Removing: Pavilion, Mantra, Rising and Countdown

Adding: Gaia (south of Orange). Indoors. 2k capacity.

Adding: Eos (West of Gaia). Outdoors.

Im sad that Pavilion is gone as saw some amazing acts there: Converge Blood Moon, The Armed, Petrol Girls etc. But it never got packed crowds so I guess these bands will shift to Gaia, Avalon or Gloria (but Gloria sucks for a festival stage...).

Also, full schedule announced at 11.30am tomorrow!

Edited by FrogLobster

My current plan:

Wednesday:
Scowl -> Fevery Ray ->  Chat Pile -> Lorna Shore -> Kendrick Lamar -> Brimheim -> Queens of The Stone Age -> Nova Twins

Thursday:
Destroy Boys -> Wander around and check out some music -> ITHACA -> Busta Rhymes -> Soul Glo -> Tove Lo -> Rina Sawayama -> Lil Nas X or Electric Wizard

Friday:
Ganger -> Wander around and check out some music -> Japanese Breakfast -> Code Orange -> Alice Glass -> Blur -> End of Rosalia -> Pertubator -> Christine and the Queens -> Two Shell

Saturday:
No one I want to see -> Stay at home and recover!

Im annoyed by the Backxwash and Blur clash; but Blur takes precedent as no idea how long they are reunited for!

For me, the lineup is amazing as other than Kendrick and QOTSA I haven't seen any of these acts before! Plus plenty of variety (one of Roskilde's strengths); especially that run of Friday from Breakfast to Two Shell!

Edited by FrogLobster

This lineup is so simple that there are no big overlaps between artists. Usually I miss a dozen of nice artists because they overlap, but this year I feel like I don’t like that many things, that on the other hand is not that bad because I can see everything I want, because there’s not many things that I actually want to see.

Besides Blur clashing with Rosalía and some other super small artists I like clashing with other super small artists, this schedule is pretty decent. Still feels quite empty considering that this is in the top 5 most expensive festivals in Europe, I could see the same artists for half of price (plus the food and drinks are expensive) in some other place in Europe, or pay the same and go to Primavera where the lineup is much much better.

But enough with complaining, I really hope they improve next year, not a good year for festivals overall plus many new festivals emerging so more competition,  so I’m pretty sure they did what they could and hope it’s sold out at the end so they can invest good money for 2024, I’m sure that 2024 will be big. 

• 1 month later...