Roskilde 2023

mln

8 hours ago, davidoffescassi said:

Another batch with 1 big name, 2-3 medium names, and a lot of unknown bands. And of course, more urban music, 0 electronic and almost no guitars. 

Out of curiosity, I just did a research tally of the announced musicians and which have or play live with guitars: 10 out of the 16. 😆

Edited by FrogLobster

24 minutes ago, FrogLobster said:

Out of curiosity, I just did a research tally of the announced musicians and which have or play live with guitars: 10 out of the 16. 😆

I wasn't talking about musicians playing guitars, and I think you know what I mean. Virtually any artist of any genre has a guitar on stage unless they go all recorded. Kendrick Lamar usually takes live music for example, and we all know that it is not a guitar genre. I was meant bands as Special Interest and Code Orange, and that's why I said almost. 

And once again, 0 electronic acts

Edited by davidoffescassi

4 minutes ago, davidoffescassi said:

I wasn't talking about musicians playing guitars, and I think you know what I mean. Virtually any artist of any genre has a guitar on stage unless they go all recorded. Kendrick Lamar usually takes live music for example, and we all know that it is not a guitar genre. I was meant bands as Special Interest and Code Orange, and that's why I said almost. 

And once again, 0 electronic acts

You should be perhaps a bit clearer next time. 😆

'No headbanging music!'

On 2/24/2023 at 12:59 PM, festivalguy97 said:

As we are getting closer and closer to the lineup reveal date, that could be probably next week on the 28th, let’s talk about the smaller names that might come to Roskilde:

-Opener Festival just announced Caroline Polachek and Metro Boomin, therefore I think those are 2 names that we might get.

-A lot of names are going to come from Rock Werchter and Lolla Stockholm, probably The Black Keys, Fred Again (again), Spoon, Ben Howard, Sigur Ros, Interpol, Editors, Stormzy, Icona Pop, King Princess,

-From other hip hop festivals like Rolling Loud Rotterdam and Wireless we might get Yung Lean and Drain Gang (this one is very likely), Playboi Carti, Lil Yachty, Joey Bada$$ and others. 

-And from the general names that are touring around in summer I think FKA Twigs, Death Grips, Earl Sweatshirt, Calvin Harris, Raye, Steve Lacy, Swans. 

I want once again to share this list of potential artists that might fill the medium and small sized lines of the lineup. 

We ended up getting Caroline Polachek, so more names might come. 

I’ve seen that Pinkpantheress has many dates in June and July, so she might come also, specially because last year she had to cancel a Roskilde concert due to illness.

I would also add Thundercat and Stromae to this list as they are touring around. 

From the bigger names, we got Kendrick as rumoured, Lizzo might be joining Thursday as she is in Poland and Sweden so a short trip to Denmark would be beneficial, specially because that day misses one more spot at Orange and it’s probably the worst day of the lineup (for me). 

Last day of course can be whatever they find suitable, Lana del Rey, SZA, Billie Eilish, or even something more different like Arctic Monkeys. 

Damon Albarn might do something with Gorillaz or solo, as he is coming with Blur and he loves doing double concerts at Roskilde.

And lastly, many Danish artists yet to announce, probably another Danish artists at Orange stage on 28th, to open the Orange Stage.

8 minutes ago, FrogLobster said:

LDR is notorious for negotiating then flaking out; she doesn't really like touring that much and prefers recording and releasing more.

Well she has some dates already in South America, and she has a new album coming out in March so I think it’s in her best interest to it. The album is coming out in late March, so maybe a tour announcement in late March also.

I saw her in one festival in 2019. People also expected her to cancel and she showed up. Had a lot of fun, not my favourite artist but the place was so full and that day sold out, so it would be a good addition for that day, however I think that more artists are needed for Saturday if she comes, I don’t expect her to sold out that day alone. 

2 hours ago, festivalguy97 said:

Well she has some dates already in South America, and she has a new album coming out in March so I think it’s in her best interest to it. The album is coming out in late March, so maybe a tour announcement in late March also.

I saw her in one festival in 2019. People also expected her to cancel and she showed up. Had a lot of fun, not my favourite artist but the place was so full and that day sold out, so it would be a good addition for that day, however I think that more artists are needed for Saturday if she comes, I don’t expect her to sold out that day alone. 

Id love to see LDR; but im not putting any bets on something reliably lining up. Lizzo/LDR top 2 would be ace. LDR as the sun sets on the Saturday would be perfect!

Mad Cool and Rock Werchter are announcing their full lineups today and tomorrow. Lolla Stockholm, Open’er, Nos Alive, Bilbao BBK all have their lineups almost full. 

From all of this festivals, the big names that we can get are only Lizzo, Chemical Brothers, Stormzy, Pavement and Arctic Monkeys. Unless they have another surprise. So I expect the last day headliner to be one of these, unless Lana del Rey or Billie Eilish show up to June/July festivals. We will find out tomorrow. 

2 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

Mad Cool and Rock Werchter are announcing their full lineups today and tomorrow. Lolla Stockholm, Open’er, Nos Alive, Bilbao BBK all have their lineups almost full. 

From all of this festivals, the big names that we can get are only Lizzo, Chemical Brothers, Stormzy, Pavement and Arctic Monkeys. Unless they have another surprise. So I expect the last day headliner to be one of these, unless Lana del Rey or Billie Eilish show up to June/July festivals. We will find out tomorrow. 

Open'er has only 24 names, so around 16 are still missing (there were 40 international artists last year). Lolla and Bilbao have full line-ups already.

Just now, mln said:

Open'er has only 24 names, so around 16 are still missing (there were 40 international artists last year). Lolla and Bilbao have full line-ups already.

Yes, but from what I see the majority of the big names were announced right? And people are rumouring about Blur coming, who else can they bring? Maybe some mid size name, but that’s it. I think Roskilde last headliner will be something that is not on Opener lineup, unless it’s Lizzo or AM, but that also seems unlikely. 

1 minute ago, festivalguy97 said:

Yes, but from what I see the majority of the big names were announced right? And people are rumouring about Blur coming, who else can they bring? Maybe some mid size name, but that’s it. I think Roskilde last headliner will be something that is not on Opener lineup, unless it’s Lizzo or AM, but that also seems unlikely. 

There are at least 5 available spots for the Main Stage (only Wednesday is full), we're missing at least 2 big names for Thursday (including a headliner), 1 for Friday, and 2 for Saturday. These will be the names the size of MGK, QOTSA or OneRepublic.

5 minutes ago, mln said:

There are at least 5 available spots for the Main Stage (only Wednesday is full), we're missing at least 2 big names for Thursday (including a headliner), 1 for Friday, and 2 for Saturday. These will be the names the size of MGK, QOTSA or OneRepublic.

Is there any idea of who can it be? From the panorama around other festivals, I can see it being Blur, Stormzy, Mumford and Sons, and something else. But nothing super out of normal that is not touring around. Nothing that I can see being itself for Roskilde. 

Just now, festivalguy97 said:

Is there any idea of who can it be? From the panorama around other festivals, I can see it being Blur, Stormzy, Mumford and Sons, and something else. But nothing super out of normal that is not touring around. Nothing that I can see being itself for Roskilde. 

Mumford and Sons are out due to Lolla Stockholm. I'm expecting some of these names for Main Stage: Blur, Lana (if she's touring), Lorde, Fred Again, Rosalia, Stormzy, Burna Boy, and probably some EDM name like Martin Garrix last year.

1 hour ago, festivalguy97 said:

Janelle Monae confirmed at Mad Cool festival, Lana or Billie not coming, so this might be our last headliner. Still seems a bit odd, I expected something a bit bigger and she came in 2019 and not as a headliner. But definitely can see her as co headliner with something like Lizzo or Arctic Monkeys. 

Janelle is amazing on album but she was about a 6/10 in 2019. Late on stage by 15 mins and kept calling the Roskilde crowd "Copenhagen" whilst saying it was her favourite festival in the world (you'd think she would get the city/location right if that was true...). She just about redeemed herself towards the end of the set playing hit after hit.

Has she released any material since then? I thought she was focusing on acting more?

Edited by FrogLobster

10 hours ago, FrogLobster said:

Janelle is amazing on album but she was about a 6/10 in 2019. Late on stage by 15 mins and kept calling the Roskilde crowd "Copenhagen" whilst saying it was her favourite festival in the world (you'd think she would get the city/location right if that was true...). She just about redeemed herself towards the end of the set playing hit after hit.

Has she released any material since then? I thought she was focusing on acting more?

She announce a new album. And about her calling “Copenhagen”, I think I’ve seen at Roskilde a dozen times, Tyler The Creator gave an amazing show last year but he kept calling “Copenhagen” so people started to tell scream “don’t come here again” and he replied “why not come here anymore?”. I found it funny and I think those artists genuinely don’t try to be funny or insulting, they think it’s in Copenhagen. 

I do hope we get her but not as headliner, or even as an artist for another day than Saturday.

From MadCool lineup, as you mentioned, we might get her, plus Lizzo (maybe they will be the headliners of the last day) and couple more artists. 

1 hour ago, festivalguy97 said:

She announce a new album. And about her calling “Copenhagen”, I think I’ve seen at Roskilde a dozen times, Tyler The Creator gave an amazing show last year but he kept calling “Copenhagen” so people started to tell scream “don’t come here again” and he replied “why not come here anymore?”. I found it funny and I think those artists genuinely don’t try to be funny or insulting, they think it’s in Copenhagen.

In comparison: I can't imagine that it would go down well for someone like Lizzo to walk on stage at Glastonbury and say 'Hello London! I love this city!'. Roskilde is a cornerstone of Danish music culture and they take the festival very seriously. 😄 Every Dane I know (I have lived and worked in CPH for last 5 years) has been to Roskilde in some capacity, often several times.

Edited by FrogLobster