Download 2024

FeverDream

11 minutes ago, Judas Yeast said:

I've already definitely said waaaay too much so I'm reeling it in. Also someone on Reddit says I didn't get enough attention as a child which is hitting too close to home for my liking 😂

How about just confirming

Avenged

1 returning headliner

1 new headliner

Edited by RedJosh
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RedJosh said:

I don't necessarily agree that the line-up would put off 25% of the audience, but get that it may not work for you and your group. I also think that while it may put people of next year if Download came out with a line-up of Maiden/Ghost/Blink that people who didn't go for a year would readily come back.

In your group of 'metal' headliners would you not have Bring Me in there? Outside of Slipknot they are one of the heaviest headliners the fest as ever head along with Rammstein and put on of 'the' definitive headline slots this year.

Maybe Avenged don't have the hype around them that those 3 acts do, but neither do System or Tool (and I'd be happy to see both of them back at the festival).

BMTH is largely a different crowd from Metallica, Rammstein etc. Some crossover sure but BMTH fans tend to be more on the emo side. 

1 hour ago, devilman said:

drake-hotline-bling-jacket-moncler.png

drake-hotline-bling-jacket-moncler.png

drake.jpg

Yes I already apologized for making a mistake. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spiral_Low said:

BMTH is largely a different crowd from Metallica, Rammstein etc. Some crossover sure but BMTH fans tend to be more on the emo side. 

Emo? Really? Are you taking the piss? I mean their first album came out at a time when Scene Kids were the thing (I know I was one) and yeah they had fringes and tight black jeans, but they were never an emo band then and aren't now. They were more adjacent to bands like Job for a Cowboy, Devil Wears Prada, I Killed the Prom Queen, Norma Jean, Dillinger Escape Plan, Parkway Drive, Suicide Silence, etc. until There is a Hell where they were more metalcore and Sempiternal when it became nu-metalcore for want of another description and you could get the influences of Linkin Park and Slipknot etc.

I get the impression that you see them as emo because of their aesthetic and like someone like MCR they have a higher proportion of female fans, so that automatically makes them emo and less metal? It was the same type of sh1t that Trivium and Avenged got for being emo and not metal enough from Iron Maiden and Metallica crowds in the mid 00's.

I think among older heavy music fans there probably is a disconect between Bring Me and traditional metal only fans that think Steel Panther and Tenacious D are the pinnacle of humour, but for people who are in their mid 40's and younger, I don't see it. Obviously there are some exceptions to the rule, but it works as a general rule.

8 minutes ago, RedJosh said:

Emo? Really? Are you taking the piss? I mean their first album came out at a time when Scene Kids were the thing (I know I was one) and yeah they had fringes and tight black jeans, but they were never an emo band then and aren't now. They were more adjacent to bands like Job for a Cowboy, Devil Wears Prada, I Killed the Prom Queen, Norma Jean, Dillinger Escape Plan, Parkway Drive, Suicide Silence, etc. until There is a Hell where they were more metalcore and Sempiternal when it became nu-metalcore for want of another description and you could get the influences of Linkin Park and Slipknot etc.

I get the impression that you see them as emo because of their aesthetic and like someone like MCR they have a higher proportion of female fans, so that automatically makes them emo and less metal? It was the same type of sh1t that Trivium and Avenged got for being emo and not metal enough from Iron Maiden and Metallica crowds in the mid 00's.

I think among older heavy music fans there probably is a disconect between Bring Me and traditional metal only fans that think Steel Panther and Tenacious D are the pinnacle of humour, but for people who are in their mid 40's and younger, I don't see it. Obviously there are some exceptions to the rule, but it works as a general rule.

In the part of the scene I'm in (west country) we lumped scene kids and emo in together. Don't know why you are so upset about it tbh, just semantics, point is there is a clear divide between BMTH and bands like SOAD and Rammstein. 

As we explained a few weeks ago, Iron Maiden will not tour Europe in 2024, a year dedicated mainly to Bruce Dickinson taking his project alone to different festivals. However, Iron Maiden would return to Europe in 2025 with a tour that could lead them to perform in a stadium in Madrid. It is not known if the concept of the tour for that time will continue to be "The Future Past".

https://www.themetalcircus.com/noticias/iron-maiden-conciertos-2024/

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

In the part of the scene I'm in (west country) we lumped scene kids and emo in together. Don't know why you are so upset about it tbh, just semantics, point is there is a clear divide between BMTH and bands like SOAD and Rammstein. 

Yeah, same. BMTH fans were the emo kids and vice versa. The crossover was massive. 

I'd count most of the bands that @redjosh listed as emo or emo-adjacent to be honest. Maybe I was being naïve, but really that was the music most of my friend group was into and maybe some of it was more edgy than earnest but it was/is very much same meat different gravy. 

It's nothing to get upset about. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, SweetJesus said:

As we explained a few weeks ago, Iron Maiden will not tour Europe in 2024, a year dedicated mainly to Bruce Dickinson taking his project alone to different festivals. However, Iron Maiden would return to Europe in 2025 with a tour that could lead them to perform in a stadium in Madrid. It is not known if the concept of the tour for that time will continue to be "The Future Past".

https://www.themetalcircus.com/noticias/iron-maiden-conciertos-2024/

Feel like this adds credit to the 7th November rumour as looking increasingly unlikely Rammstein will play and IM now ruled out. 

4 minutes ago, OKMess said:

Yeah, same. BMTH fans were the emo kids and vice versa. The crossover was massive. 

I'd count most of the bands that @redjosh listed as emo or emo-adjacent to be honest. Maybe I was being naïve, but really that was the music most of my friend group was into and maybe some of it was more edgy than earnest but it was/is very much same meat different gravy. 

I'm not upset and don't really care, but the opinion just reeks of the same gatekeeper behaviour from 1st and 2nd generation metal fans that those of us who were teenagers in 00's had to endure before the alternative and heavy music scene became more pluralist. The type of people who called Trivium and Avenged emo, becuase of their aesthetic.

28 minutes ago, OKMess said:

Glad someone understood what I meant 🙂

6 minutes ago, foolee said:

Feel like this adds credit to the 7th November rumour as looking increasingly unlikely Rammstein will play and IM now ruled out. 

Aye I would say Rammstein are pretty much ruled out now as they've been adding more stadium dates so it's clear they won't do fests. 

I wonder if the new headliner is Korn? I know some insist they can't do it but huge crowd last time they played and no UK date since then.