Download 2024

FeverDream

2 hours ago, balti-pie said:

The price of gigs is ridiculous- it really has to be justified for me to pay these sort of prices. I'd rather see smaller bands in smaller venues for about £20ish, cos thats all a bit more appealing in terms of the price, the night out, the experience, everything - but i missed Slipknot this year at Download, and my mate is desperate to see them, so this is a bit of a one off.

And compared to some of the prices at the o2 £80 for standing isn't actually too expensive, its towards the cheaper prices for events at that place. Which breaks my brain a bit, its a shopping centre . . . 

I completely agree with this. I tend to just do local gigs, up and coming bands for £10-£20, and see the bigger acts at festivals were there is more value for money. I also appreciate that I'm quite lucky living in Nottingham as we're generally always on the touring schedule for small-mid level bands.

4 hours ago, balti-pie said:

The price of gigs is ridiculous- it really has to be justified for me to pay these sort of prices. I'd rather see smaller bands in smaller venues for about £20ish, cos thats all a bit more appealing in terms of the price, the night out, the experience, everything - but i missed Slipknot this year at Download, and my mate is desperate to see them, so this is a bit of a one off.

And compared to some of the prices at the o2 £80 for standing isn't actually too expensive, its towards the cheaper prices for events at that place. Which breaks my brain a bit, its a shopping centre . . . 

Agreed arena gig prices have become too much. Plus as a non-driver there's train and hotel too, which has become extortionate. Normally go see Tool and Slipknot every tour but decided to miss out next year due to costs. Sticking with doing a few Bristol gigs for now (a short journey for me).

4 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Definitely agree. Bands like the cribs etc charge like £30 which I'm happy enough to pay.

17 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

Agreed arena gig prices have become too much. Plus as a non-driver there's train and hotel too, which has become extortionate. Normally go see Tool and Slipknot every tour but decided to miss out next year due to costs. Sticking with doing a few Bristol gigs for now (a short journey for me).

Don't blame you. I too have resorted just to the gigs which keep the price down and looking for intimate options.

• Upvote 1

The ever increasing number of metal bands doing Euro fests/shows next summer but no Download (or Bloodstock) surely has to be alarming.

You've got Deftones, Lacuna Coil and Mushroomhead with 1 fest each at the mo, then Korn, Spiritbox, Kreator, Testament, Exodus, Dark Tranquility, The Halo Effect and a whole load of others with no UK dates yet. Paradise Lost and Svalbard are also examples of UK metal bands doing fests but with no UK fest yet. 

Why aren't any of these bands being booked for Download? They all have fanbases that would turn out to see them. Yeah maybe 1 or 2 might get added but Download has already announced the bulk of it's line up and there doesn't seem to be much space left for a lot of these bands. Bloodstock doesn't seem to have much space left for the bigger bands of these either. 

I do feel with Download's pursuit of pop punk and the more mainstream metalcore stuff that a lot of the metal bands are either avoiding it or simply aren't being booked. Disappointing to say the least. 

1 hour ago, Spiral_Low said:

The ever increasing number of metal bands doing Euro fests/shows next summer but no Download (or Bloodstock) surely has to be alarming.

You've got Deftones, Lacuna Coil and Mushroomhead with 1 fest each at the mo, then Korn, Spiritbox, Kreator, Testament, Exodus, Dark Tranquility, The Halo Effect and a whole load of others with no UK dates yet. Paradise Lost and Svalbard are also examples of UK metal bands doing fests but with no UK fest yet. 

Why aren't any of these bands being booked for Download? They all have fanbases that would turn out to see them. Yeah maybe 1 or 2 might get added but Download has already announced the bulk of it's line up and there doesn't seem to be much space left for a lot of these bands. Bloodstock doesn't seem to have much space left for the bigger bands of these either. 

I do feel with Download's pursuit of pop punk and the more mainstream metalcore stuff that a lot of the metal bands are either avoiding it or simply aren't being booked. Disappointing to say the least. 

Deftones are exclusive to Primavera. 
Spiritbox are exclusive to R&L. 
Deftones, Korn & Lacuna Coil all played Download 22. 
Some of the smaller bands could still be added. 

Download is trying to evolve, and rightfully so. The lineup might not be everyone’s cup of tea but at least it’s not the same old bands on repeat again. 

1 hour ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Download is trying to evolve, and rightfully so. The lineup might not be everyone’s cup of tea but at least it’s not the same old bands on repeat again. 

I think it'll be a very weakly attended festival myself.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Forgot about Spiritbox playing R+L, my bad. 

But don't buy your 'same old bands' argument as none of Kreator, Testament, Exodus, Dark Tranquility, The Halo Effect, Paradise Lost and Svalbard have played in recent years. In fact Kreator has only been once in 2018, and some of the others have never played or it's been ages. 

Also given Elvana are there once again which is not trying to fresh is it? 

It might be trying to evolve, but in doing so it's actually shrinking it's audience. It's always done well by having a great mix of genres, but now deffo feels like it's chasing that 20-30 metalcore crowd that isn't as people make out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2024 at 1:47 PM, MrJB said:

Incase anyone missed the announcement earlier

IMG-20240108-WA0003.jpg

Looking forward to this one. Spiritbox as one of the supports is awesome. Interested to check out the Loathe hype too. Plus it's actually a reasonably priced gig! 

5 hours ago, northernangel said:

Isn't it nearly £70?

Yup inc fees for Korn plus several support bands. Slipknot and Smashing Pumpkins I believe were £80+ fees for standing when they came on sale? Tool was over £120 for a decent seat. £70 inc fees is what I'd expect for a big gig these days but so many bands are going £100 or more. 

14 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

Yup inc fees for Korn plus several support bands. Slipknot and Smashing Pumpkins I believe were £80+ fees for standing when they came on sale? Tool was over £120 for a decent seat. £70 inc fees is what I'd expect for a big gig these days but so many bands are going £100 or more. 

I guess of the bands interest you, I've never got Korn really so Denzel, Spiritbox and Wargasm aren't helping lol.