Download 2024

FeverDream

On 9/2/2023 at 8:36 PM, NotLee said:

That NNv chap having a meltdown on the DLF and 'leaking' MCR being in talks with Download (if download were still in talks with headliners now they would be in trouble). He is a troll, pay no attention. Taking stuff from Instagram accounts and running with it. As of now the headliners remain the same, still no word on the subs just yet but normally that comes with undercard and don't normally get told them as 'subs'

So it’s A7X, Rammstein and Maiden? Christ…

Do you have names of some of the undercard then? We might be able to take a punt at the subs if there’s some big names.

2 hours ago, FeverDream said:

So it’s A7X, Rammstein and Maiden? Christ…

Do you have names of some of the undercard then? We might be able to take a punt at the subs if there’s some big names.

I’m going for Sabaton, Gojira and Machine Head as subs. Maybe swap Gojira out for Shikari. 

14 hours ago, Andre91 said:

I’m going for Sabaton, Gojira and Machine Head as subs. Maybe swap Gojira out for Shikari. 

If Sabaton play I think they’d be second stage headliners instead, so they can bring more of their stage show. All 3 of the ‘rumoured’ headliners are known to have big productions, so there isn’t going to be room for Sabaton’s usual set up on the main stage. 

I know there's been issues attracting some other artists to top the bill before, but forgive me to say that Rammstein, Avenged Sevenfold and Iron Maiden feels... not too inspired. (I say this as a big Maiden fan.)

I've been wondering if they'd shake up The Future Past Tour for the handful of Canada shows and Power Trip in advance. Of all the bands playing the latter, their unwillingness to be flexible means they might be the most DOA for reaction, even if they are among the technical best.

Easiest route would be the tried-and-tested approach of reverting to a few big hits. Strip two apiece from Somewhere in Time and Senjutsu, good to go.

The Number of the Beast
Stranger in a Strange Land
The Writing on the Wall
Days of Future Past
2 Minutes to Midnight
The Prisoner
Death of the Celts
8 Can I Play with Madness
Brave New World
10 Alexander the Great
11 Fear of the Dark
12 Iron Maiden

13 Hallowed Be Thy Name
14 The Trooper
15 Wasted Years

The undercard is going to determine whether I bother next year. I've seen Maiden twice in the last two years and don't really need to complete the hat-trick. Not interested in Rammstein and whilst I like A7X, they don't excite me enough to fork out for the whole festival. It does make you wonder how much effort is going into this years line-up because those headliners just feel uninspired.

Already booked for 2000Trees, so if the DL undercard looks to be on the dull side I might give Bloodstock a go as I've never been.

21 hours ago, LazyDavid said:

Yeah my group will probably depend on the undercard, can't see us staying for the full set of any of those 3 headliners and probably shooting off on Sunday evening during whoever is last.

Well if they've got for a box standard unimaginative set of headliners, I doubt they've thought let's get some fresh acts for the undercard. The only reason they did it for 2023 was because they had to, to fill 4 days.

5 hours ago, northernangel said:

Well if they've got for a box standard unimaginative set of headliners, I doubt they've thought let's get some fresh acts for the undercard. The only reason they did it for 2023 was because they had to, to fill 4 days.

True, still got my fingers crossed for big slots for bands like Enter Shikari and Sleep Token, drizzle some Turnstile, Spiritbox, Bad Omens and the like over it and I'd be content

One of my best runs this year I sort of stumbled upon was on the Saturday in the Avalanche Tent, the heat was killing me off so I just stayed there for Blackgold - Casey - Kid Kapichi - Bob Vylan back to back and it was great

Edited by LazyDavid

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

So if you search ‘Rammstein UK tour 2024’ on Google and scroll down, Download is there. The same for Avenged Sevenfold and Iron Maiden. 

Looks like @NotLee was right.

It is, however it also appears if you use Metallica and Slipknot (just a couple of examples I tried) so wouldn’t take that as confirmation. A7X however does list Download Festival on the 14th June under Events so I’d say they’re nailed on for the Friday. 

I’d say enter Shikari would be probably the sub for A7x . But the others well. I won’t repeat my choices

still reckon bullet will be one of them.

My thoughts are turning to second stage headliners ?’there’s a few names I can pick out off the top of my head. Maybe Sum 41 as it’s their last tour. Limp biz kit maybe …I’m a bit head scratching on this.

my wildcard for download would be the rock orchestra . Seen them live omfg

incredible 

Prediction / Wishlist with the undercard a bit more in the vein of this year:

Friday

Avenged Sevenfold, Enter Shikari, Bad Omens, Flyleaf, Spiritbox, Knocked Loose, Bob Vylan

Incubus, Trivium, Papa Roach, Sepultura, Denzel Curry, Atreyu, Defeater, High-Vis

Taking Back Sunday, The Story So Far, Ceremony, Hawthorne Heights, KennyHoopla, Citizen, Origami Angel, The Xcerts

Death Grips, Polyphia, The Armed, Trash Talk, Frontierer, Chat Pile, Teenage Wrist, Zulu, Love Is Noise

Saturday

Rammstein, Limp Bizkit, Sleep Token, Killswitch Engage, Code Orange, Static-X, Mudvayne

Bullet For My Valentine, Falling In Reverse, L.S. Dunes, Escape The Fate, P.O.D., Norma Jean, Chelsea Grin, Loathe

Alkaline Trio, Four Year Strong, Hot Mulligan, Armor For Sleep, Sueco, Charlotte Sands, Spanish Love Songs, Heart Attack Man

Meshuggah, Cave In, Coal Chamber, Shadows Fall, Your Demise, Jesus Piece, END, The Callous Daoboys, seeyouspacecowboy

Sunday

Iron Maiden, Tenacious D, Corey Taylor, Skid Row, Testament, Thy Art Is Murder, Bleed From Within

Sum 41, Turnstile, Dropkick Murphys, Underoath, Alien Ant Farm, Hell Is For Heroes, Electric Six, Blessed By A Broken Heart

Billy Talent, Head Automatica, The Wonder Years, Basement, Scene Queen, Knuckle Puck, Angel Dust, Militarie Gun

Zeal & Ardor, Deafheaven, Better Lovers, vein.fm, Kublai Khan TX, Car Bomb, Scowl, Venom Prison, Ithaca

Edited by Andrinald
  • Upvote 1

getting bored at work

Friday

Apex: AVENGED SEVENFOLD / Five Finger Death Punch / Enter Shikari

Opus: Sabaton / Powerwolf

Avalanche: Bowling For Soup

Dogtooth: Dying Fetus
_____
Saturday

Apex: IRON MAIDEN / Slash ft.Myles Kennedy & The Conspirators / Creed

Opus: Machine Head / Killswitch Engage

Avalanche: Bury Tomorrow

Dogtooth: Periphery
______
Sunday

Apex: RAMMSTEIN / Rob Zombie / Sleep Token

Opus: Lamb Of God / Bad Omens

Avalanche: Alkaline Trio

Dogtooth: Kreator

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gabrielomachado said:

getting bored at work

Friday

_____
Saturday

______
Sunday

Absolutely awesome. I’d snap their hand off for this (as long as at least one of Bury Tomrrow and Periphery play against Maiden). 

On 9/15/2023 at 4:04 PM, gabrielomachado said:

getting bored at work

Friday

_____
Saturday

______
Sunday

Saturday ticket 

7 hours ago, Gingerfish79 said:

Bruce Dickinson has announced a new solo album and dates of an accompanying tour in 2024. Does this mean they've decided to do solo stuff next year and hence put Maiden out of a Download appearance?

he could play both solo and with Maiden, Steve did it last year. No idea where would he fit, haven't played solo in 21 years (!)

maybe 4th down Main?

If the rumours, and they are nothing more than strong rumours at the moment, are true and we are getting the A7X, Maiden and Rammstein as headliners then this does come across as a bit of a disappointment. I must admit when they were announced I was definitely a bit meh about it all and then thought hang on. The only one that I am really disappointed about is Iron Maiden and that is only because they played so recently. They will come and they will put a fine show on and I will probably quite enjoy it just like I did in 2022. 

As for A7X I haven't seen them since 2018 and I enjoyed them then. Ok the new album is a bit weird but still looking forward to them, Rammsten I last saw in 2007 and was hoping to see them one last time before they pack it in so them being there suits me fine.  Again they will be a good show. 

So as a bit of a Download old hand what I would say is these headliners to me are actually Ok but what they are not to an Download old hand like me is exciting and that I think is the point hat we are missing a bit here. 

The Download audience is changing!

These headliners are not aimed at the traditional old git that has been attending Download down the years. 

Download is now seen as one of the 'big' festivals and is being talked about alongside such behemoths as Glastonbury, we are long way away from Glastonbury but we are now seen as a place to be seen if you like. And that is bringing in a new breed of people, enter the posers, who are not a necesseraly steeped in metal and hard rock as your traditional Download attendee.

This is something that i feel the management team are quite aware of and as such they are less concerned about repeat headfliners and quick repeat bookings because they have an audience that might not all have been attending religiously since day 1 and may not already have seen iron maiden countless times. And this is something, the encouragement of 'new' attendees, that I feel that the management are actively encouraging. They may see it that they don't really need new bands what they really need is a new audience. That was said tongue in cheek but it is part I feel of the evolution of the festival. 

I feel one of the big problems is the intansigence of the traditional Downloader, anything new is treated with horror, Anybody remember the nonsense that surrounded Die Antwoord. 

Anyway Maiden fits in perfectly with this mentality. Iron Maiden are a name band, a band you want to say you have seen and from that will sell plenty of tickets but not necessarily to the traditional Downloader. 

Times move on!

10 minutes ago, DevizesD said:

If the rumours, and they are nothing more than strong rumours at the moment, are true and we are getting the A7X, Maiden and Rammstein as headliners then this does come across as a bit of a disappointment. I must admit when they were announced I was definitely a bit meh about it all and then thought hang on. The only one that I am really disappointed about is Iron Maiden and that is only because they played so recently. They will come and they will put a fine show on and I will probably quite enjoy it just like I did in 2022. 

As for A7X I haven't seen them since 2018 and I enjoyed them then. Ok the new album is a bit weird but still looking forward to them, Rammsten I last saw in 2007 and was hoping to see them one last time before they pack it in so them being there suits me fine.  Again they will be a good show. 

So as a bit of a Download old hand what I would say is these headliners to me are actually Ok but what they are not to an Download old hand like me is exciting and that I think is the point hat we are missing a bit here. 

The Download audience is changing!

These headliners are not aimed at the traditional old git that has been attending Download down the years. 

Download is now seen as one of the 'big' festivals and is being talked about alongside such behemoths as Glastonbury, we are long way away from Glastonbury but we are now seen as a place to be seen if you like. And that is bringing in a new breed of people, enter the posers, who are not a necesseraly steeped in metal and hard rock as your traditional Download attendee.

This is something that i feel the management team are quite aware of and as such they are less concerned about repeat headfliners and quick repeat bookings because they have an audience that might not all have been attending religiously since day 1 and may not already have seen iron maiden countless times. And this is something, the encouragement of 'new' attendees, that I feel that the management are actively encouraging. They may see it that they don't really need new bands what they really need is a new audience. That was said tongue in cheek but it is part I feel of the evolution of the festival. 

I feel one of the big problems is the intansigence of the traditional Downloader, anything new is treated with horror, Anybody remember the nonsense that surrounded Die Antwoord. 

Anyway Maiden fits in perfectly with this mentality. Iron Maiden are a name band, a band you want to say you have seen and from that will sell plenty of tickets but not necessarily to the traditional Downloader. 

Times move on!

No you really aren't. Download is and always will be just a field hosting bands that you come along, watch your bands and go.  No sentimentality going on there.

Also, Glastonbury is much more about just getting your money in that it ever was and now the whole tiktok we are here is the new scene largely due to who the festival has decided to book now.