2024 Festival

Chad888

Feels absolutely insane The Prodigy are second stage headliners here - effectively on a pair with being third down main after the co-headliners - and yet will top at Isle of Wight.

It's either a massive get for R+L or a significant flub for IOW, and I like to believe it's the former.

22 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Feels absolutely insane The Prodigy are second stage headliners here - effectively on a pair with being third down main after the co-headliners - and yet will top at Isle of Wight.

It's either a massive get for R+L or a significant flub for IOW, and I like to believe it's the former.

I think its a mix

Prodigy sold out over a few months 2 x ally pally dates. I reckon TDCC who are in a similar billing could do that and Raye sold out an o2 night straight away and is also similarly billed.

Prodigy haven't been a solid major festival headliner for a while now I think, ticket sales wise. The older dance acts just remain popular with younger people - Underworld and Chems are very much the same.

7 minutes ago, gfa said:

Prodigy sold out over a few months 2 x ally pally dates. I reckon TDCC who are in a similar billing could do that and Raye sold out an o2 night straight away and is also similarly billed.

Two Door sold out 2 nights at Ally Pally in 2017 and had big numbers at the O2 in 2019. So they've got enough numbers, even if it's mainly all to watch them play Tourist History.

32 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Probably a bit of both.

15 hours ago, gfa said:

Chase and Status could do MSW but are defo not MSE

Calvin Harris will happen eventually I think. Could be next year could be in 10 years, but it will happen.

@Benj this you mate

Is there any precedent for an album in full show from any artist not being in order front to back

Seems insanely unlikely to me

Acts do it albums in full in order at fests all the time

Bloc party do silent alarm back to front 

59 minutes ago, Muppetmark said:

Enter shikari doing take the skies was interspersed with other songs as well

AH the answer i was looking for

I guess it can happen then. But its definitely not the norm

2 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

They’re different festivals for different crowds

IoW is very much a boomer fest, Prodigy will be bigger than Fred Again for the majority of the clientele

36 minutes ago, nathanh said:

Who are the 5 acts you are most looking forward to seeing? I'm looking for people to check out

Barry Can't Swim 

Overmono 

Prodigy 

Fred 

Lana 

I also think Kenny Beats will put on a great set, his Boiler Room x Primavera Sound is impressive. 

2 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Different crowds though really, and different sized festivals. 

Prodigy are nowhere near big enough or relevant enough to headline R&L anymore, at least not since around 2010, its a completely new generation of attendees. We are now talking about acts like Noah Kahan and Olivia Rodrigo as headliners.

Same with how Digga D is headlining a festival elsewhere, but is 3rd down? on the old Dance stage?

Just now, Chad888 said:

Different crowds though really, and different sized festivals. 

Prodigy are nowhere near big enough or relevant enough to headline R&L anymore, at least not since around 2010, its a completely new generation of attendees. We are now talking about acts like Noah Kahan and Olivia Rodrigo as headliners.

Same with how Digga D is headlining a festival elsewhere, but is 3rd down? on the old Dance stage?

True, but guess I've always considered R+L and IOW to be of a broadly similar size rather than demographic. There was a point where you'd get acts headlining both a year apart from each other. (The Stokes, Foo Fighters, Kasabian, so forth.)

What are peoples thoughts on Standard Oil sponsoring the festival, through its Chevron subsidary...?

Considering the environmental impact has been a huge deal lately, with the river pollution, non recyclable plastic waste, green camping scheme  being huge drives ... it seems a little conflicting having a sponsor that was largely responsible for providing funding to the Nazis in WW2, and was one of the major lobbyists to get Western involvement in the Middle East (and then helped fund the largest military base in the world in Iraq, before setting up an oil refinery right inside its walls), and is now one of the largest lobbying organisations against green energy...

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

What are peoples thoughts on Standard Oil sponsoring the festival, through its Chevron subsidary...?

Considering the environmental impact has been a huge deal lately, with the river pollution, non recyclable plastic waste, green camping scheme  being huge drives ... it seems a little conflicting having a sponsor that was largely responsible for providing funding to the Nazis in WW2, and was one of the major lobbyists to get Western involvement in the Middle East (and then helped fund the largest military base in the world in Iraq, before setting up an oil refinery right inside its walls), and is now one of the largest lobbying organisations against green energy...

Do we know its a sponsorship? To me it felt like a stage name in keeping with the chevrons that are a key part of R&L's branding. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, nathanh said:

Do we know its a sponsorship? To me it felt like a stage name in keeping with the chevrons that are a key part of R&L's branding. 

This is what I thought, I assumed I'd walk in and see a big light-up Chevron hanging from behind the stage. Not seen anything to  link it with possible Standard Oil sponsorship. 

Just now, Lawsie said:

This is what I thought, I assumed I'd walk in and see a big light-up Chevron hanging from behind the stage. Not seen anything to  link it with possible Standard Oil sponsorship. 

100% could see it being either a big chevron light thing or potentially even a chevron shaped stage, not sure how that would work out though

17 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

True, but guess I've always considered R+L and IOW to be of a broadly similar size rather than demographic. There was a point where you'd get acts headlining both a year apart from each other. (The Stokes, Foo Fighters, Kasabian, so forth.)

IoW capacity is roughly half that of Reading’s

Tickets are also a fair bit cheaper

Main differenence is deffo the demographic though

31 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

What festival is Digga D headlining?

24 minutes ago, nathanh said:

100% could see it being either a big chevron light thing or potentially even a chevron shaped stage, not sure how that would work out though

Could happen they had a chevron/ Y shaped Big tent for a bit, was weird…

image.thumb.jpeg.8e7549323ca70be2da092f2b0483c7f8.jpeg

Edited by Benj