2024 Festival

Chad888

6 minutes ago, nathanh said:

Everything but Level 4 sold out in under 5 minutes which is crazy, so deserved though My 21st Century Blues is amazing

Good on her, and yeah agreed, the album's fantastic.

5 minutes ago, nathanh said:

Wheres this? 

Mailing list email

5 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Genuine question but is Raye genuinely decent or is she being driven by industry, awards and reviews?

I think she's really quite great, the album is a big step up (imo) from her previous stuff. Gave the Royal Albert Hall live recording a listen earlier today, and that was a joy to listen to as well.

15 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

I wouldn’t read too much into the news highlight, it’s standard email marketing.

Genuine question but is Raye genuinely decent or is she being driven by industry, awards and reviews?

Saw her live last year. 

I enjoyed the performance, even though it’s not really my kind of thing

Crowd got going more for here ‘early’ dance stuff that she seems to hate but I guess that’s always gonna go down well at a festival

Edited by Benj

3 hours ago, andyrhodes24 said:

I wouldn’t read too much into the news highlight, it’s standard email marketing.

The general rule of thumb, if they  appear and immediately get big artists featuring on their tracks, they start off with music labels, get straight on to the radio/charts immediately - industry plant.

Raye came out signed with Universal Music, within 2 months had a track out with Mabel and Stefflon Don, was doing all the radio interview circuit. 

Doesn't take away she is a talented artist, but off course her album is good, because all the songs are perfectly created using algorithms, focus groups, perfectly calculated hooks, drops, beats.

Just look at Post Malone. I was a bit naive initially and thought nothing of it, but I remember him doing the talk show and interview circuit before his debut album and singles were released.

Brought out nothing before, but his debut album has artists like Migos, and Justin Bieber...album hits no. 4 and singles in the top 10.

9 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

The general rule of thumb, if they  appear and immediately get big artists featuring on their tracks, they start off with music labels, get straight on to the radio/charts immediately - industry plant.

Raye came out signed with Universal Music, within 2 months had a track out with Mabel and Stefflon Don, was doing all the radio interview circuit. 

Doesn't take away she is a talented artist, but off course her album is good, because all the songs are perfectly created using algorithms, focus groups, perfectly calculated hooks, drops, beats.

Just look at Post Malone. I was a bit naive initially and thought nothing of it, but I remember him doing the talk show and interview circuit before his debut album and singles were released.

Brought out nothing before, but his debut album has artists like Migos, and Justin Bieber...album hits no. 4 and singles in the top 10.

She quit her label due to the fact they were forcing her down a creative path she didn’t want to take.

At least that’s what she banged on about between every song when I saw her

She did not get properly big until she went independent, suggesting algorithms etc or not, that she’s not exactly a label plant…

Edited by Benj

2 minutes ago, Benj said:

She quit her label due to the fact they were forcing her down a creative path she didn’t want to take.

At least that’s what she banged on about between every song when I saw her

She did not get properly big until she went independent, suggesting algorithms etc or not, that she’s not exactly a label plant…

This is some of the background I was after, cheers! After Wet Leg I look at artists who blow up overnight with a very sceptical eye. Or maybe I’m just getting old, I’d never heard of Raye until about a week before the first announcement

16 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I find most talk about 'industry plants' so tedious and cringey.

Same. Mainly as it gives the music industry too much credit that it knows what's gonna be a bona fide hit when half the time, especially now, it seems like a series of guesses and punts.

2 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Same. Mainly as it gives the music industry too much credit that it knows what's gonna be a bona fide hit when half the time, especially now, it seems like a series of guesses and punts.

There’s so many generic, samey artists around that it’d be a huge coincidence if it wasn’t formulaic. Once a genre is tried and tested it’d be easy to do

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, andyrhodes24 said:

There’s so many generic, samey artists around that it’d be a huge coincidence if it wasn’t formulaic. Once a genre is tried and tested it’d be easy to do

But do you really think Wet Leg (for example, because you named them before) have a team of songwriters sat in a room orchestrating the perfect indie hit? Or do you think it's possible that they wrote their songs organically themselves (albeit jumping on a sound that is popular and is pretty replicable) and then got picked up by a label and benefitted from a big marketing push?

1 minute ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

But do you really think Wet Leg (for example, because you named them before) have a team of songwriters sat in a room orchestrating the perfect indie hit? Or do you think it's possible that they wrote their songs organically themselves (albeit jumping on a sound that is popular and is pretty replicable) and then got picked up by a label and benefitted from a big marketing push?

If you want to go industry plant on the wet leg front, then The Last Dinner Party are obv being pushed due to We Leg’s success…

Thats the traditional record company move with these things. Push copycats of what becomes big, not create the big thing in the first place, which is normally far more organic

1 minute ago, Benj said:

If you want to go industry plant on the wet leg front, then The Last Dinner Party are obv being pushed due to We Leg’s success…

Thats the traditional record company move with these things. Push copycats of what becomes big, not create the big thing in the first place, which is normally far more organic

How on earth are The Last Dinner Party anything like Wet Leg?

3 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

It’s the marketing I have a problem with. Indie’s always been popular but Wet Leg are as bang average as any other indie band. Benj’s point at The Last Dinner Party is a good example, not identical musically but in 2023 they were playing clubs, all of a sudden they’re playing every academy in the country at £35 a go this year and are getting decent airtime, interviews and other promotion. By no means the first band to make the jump but there’s nothing groundbreaking about them. At least Wet Leg will get cast aside now with them coming through

6 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

How on earth are The Last Dinner Party anything like Wet Leg?

How on earth are they different 🤣?!

Quirky, female led indie pop, Nothing Matters and Sinner are basically Wet Leg songs without the chatty bits

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Just now, andyrhodes24 said:

It’s the marketing I have a problem with. Indie’s always been popular but Wet Leg are as bang average as any other indie band. Benj’s point at The Last Dinner Party is a good example, not identical musically but in 2023 they were playing clubs, all of a sudden they’re playing every academy in the country at £35 a go this year and are getting decent airtime, interviews and other promotion. By no means the first band to make the jump but there’s nothing groundbreaking about them. At least Wet Leg will get cast aside now with them coming through

So what does the term 'industry plant' actually mean to you then. I understand having a problem with big labels and their marketing tactics, but industry plant sounds way more sinister and orchestrated than that.

If you actually took time to look up The Last Dinner Party and their story you'd see that they became pretty prolific and talked about in the London indie scene over 2022/2023 because of their live show. Obviously they got signed as a result, released their first single which got more of a push than most artists are as lucky to have, but a song doesn't become that instantly popular without it actually being good.

They obviously have a sound that's struck a chord with people, as is evident from their notoriety on the scene before they were signed and the success/popularity of the singles released after they were signed. They wrote those songs and curated their live show themselves. They've had a great push from their label to get them where they currently are, yeah, but not all music has to be the most ground breaking thing in the world to be considered good.

7 minutes ago, Benj said:

How on earth are they different 🤣?!

Quirky, female led indie pop, Nothing Matters and Sinner are basically Wet Leg songs without the chatty bits

They're completely different in sound other than being in the wider genre of indie music. Wet Leg are way more post-punky, TLDP are much more glam rock in sound.

Part of what I find tedious about these conversations is it's more often than not brought up about female artists/bands. Not saying anyone here is doing that, it's just a trend that is quite clear to observe across wider online discourse.

15 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

So what does the term 'industry plant' actually mean to you then. I understand having a problem with big labels and their marketing tactics, but industry plant sounds way more sinister and orchestrated than that.

If you actually took time to look up The Last Dinner Party and their story you'd see that they became pretty prolific and talked about in the London indie scene over 2022/2023 because of their live show. Obviously they got signed as a result, released their first single which got more of a push than most artists are as lucky to have, but a song doesn't become that instantly popular without it actually being good.

They obviously have a sound that's struck a chord with people, as is evident from their notoriety on the scene before they were signed and the success/popularity of the singles released after they were signed. They wrote those songs and curated their live show themselves. They've had a great push from their label to get them where they currently are, yeah, but not all music has to be the most ground breaking thing in the world to be considered good.

They're completely different in sound other than being in the wider genre of indie music. Wet Leg are way more post-punky, TLDP are much more glam rock in sound.

Part of what I find tedious about these conversations is it's more often than not brought up about female artists/bands. Not saying anyone here is doing that, it's just a trend that is quite clear to observe across wider online discourse.

I’m sorry they’re hugely similar and I listen to a HUGE amount of female indie

They are nothing like Boy Genius, Alvvays, Feeble little horse, Slow pulp, Samia, Mitski, Ethel Cain, they are VERY much like Wet Leg though (a bit like Mitski too in parts actually)

just going through my Spotify stats and Jock Strap are another one that’s v similar

Edited by Benj