All Points East 2023

gfa

29 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Maybe Arcade Fire will turn up as a last minute secret set (too late to boycott) in an attempt to rehabilitate their image…

Edit: Looks like they are playing Italy on the 25th now and Spain/Portugal on the 31st so they could play APE on 26th or 27th.

yuck.... Hope not

53 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Maybe Arcade Fire will turn up as a last minute secret set (too late to boycott) in an attempt to rehabilitate their image…

Edit: Looks like they are playing Italy on the 25th now and Spain/Portugal on the 31st so they could play APE on 26th or 27th.

why would arcade fire do a secret set at a day festival? strangest suggestion i've heard for a while

10 minutes ago, xxialac said:

To rehabilitate their image (see above) in front of a big festival crowd.

They can't do a secret set at their own show, can they?

I think it would be quite hard to get a whole bill to perform alongside them. Can't see Haim and Lorde agreeing of all acts. Also if you didn't tell all the undercard until it happened you'd get pissed off acts afterwards i think.

I'd be fucking livid knowing my money went to them unknowingly too when they do a secret set

so many potential issues with this

new idea - don't book artists with ongoing allegations?

edit: to double check on that last point, they are ongoing still right? or is it cleared.

Edited by gfa
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, gfa said:

edit: to double check on that last point, they are ongoing still right? or is it cleared.

They are not cleared at all. Also how on Earth would playing a set "rehabilitate their image"? It would make it worse if anything.

27 minutes ago, gfa said:

I think it would be quite hard to get a whole bill to perform alongside them. Can't see Haim and Lorde agreeing of all acts. Also if you didn't tell all the undercard until it happened you'd get pissed off acts afterwards i think.

I'd be fucking livid knowing my money went to them unknowingly too when they do a secret set

so many potential issues with this

new idea - don't book artists with ongoing allegations?

I didn’t mean necessarily on the Lorde day and I meant secret from audience perspective (or perhaps announced last minute) not from the rest of the bill perspective.

And Florence and the Machine and presumably many other female acts yet to be announced for other festivals they are playing at seem fine with sharing a bill with them.

And rehabilitating in the sense of print media writing about their set with a focus on the performance.

Not condoning his behaviour but people will move on from it. 

Edited by xxialac

2 hours ago, xxialac said:

I didn’t mean necessarily on the Lorde day and I meant secret from audience perspective (or perhaps announced last minute) not from the rest of the bill perspective.

And Florence and the Machine and presumably many other female acts yet to be announced for other festivals they are playing at seem fine with sharing a bill with them.

And rehabilitating in the sense of print media writing about their set with a focus on the performance.

Not condoning his behaviour but people will move on from it. 

fair enough re bolded point

think the MIA one as said above is another good one

a secret set wouldn't even sell more tickets either, opens them up to huge amounts of criticism for zero financial gain

8 minutes ago, gfa said:

a secret set wouldn't even sell more tickets either, opens them up to huge amounts of criticism for zero financial gain

Has APE ever done a secret set for any band? So far Arcade Fire have been booked for festivals only selling weekend tickets, so that dilutes quite a bit the protest factor. That's quite different to buying a potential APE day ticket with "Arcade Fire" printed on it.

13 minutes ago, gfa said:

I see their being able to 'normalise' their playing live such that people don't see them as pariahs, as being huge financial gain to the point where even missing out on a once-only fee altogether would be absolutell worth it.

All I was saying is that if they can find a way to play at a reasonably high profile event like APE without a backlash, then others will book them as before. 

And they are going to have to try and come back at some point. The fact they are touring this Summer suggests they are seeing a route to salvation sooner rather than later.

Not a perfect parallel obviously but look at Travis Scott who's now a legit booking once more.

Just now, emmanuel said:

Has APE ever done a secret set for any band? So far Arcade Fire have been booked for festivals only selling weekend tickets, so that dilutes quite a bit the protest factor. That's quite different to buying a potential APE day ticket with "Arcade Fire" printed on it.

Don't think so, I can't think of any. I can't think of any day festivals with secret sets honestly except like surprise b2bs at dance ones

Just now, xxialac said:

I see their being able to 'normalise' their playing live such that people don't see them as pariahs, as being huge financial gain to the point where even missing out on a once-only fee altogether would be absolutell worth it.

All I was saying is that if they can find a way to play at a reasonably high profile event like APE without a backlash, then others will book them as before. 

And they are going to have to try and come back at some point. The fact they are touring this Summer suggests they are seeing a route to salvation sooner rather than later.

Not a perfect parallel obviously but look at Travis Scott who's now a legit booking once more.

lets see eh, think the APE secret set is firmly off the cards though!

Travis Scott is very different, different incident and it seems his fans just blame live nation etc anyway whereas with this there's nobody to blame other than Win and obviously a stereotype but I think its safe to say Arcade Fire fans care more about what happened with win than travis fans care about astroworld

I agree it's unlikely but it's not inconceivable.

Drake - hardly a cheap z-lister - did a surprise 5 song show at day festival Wireless two years ago.

And the whole point of the secret show concept in the first place was that by not making them the headliner you don't mobilise the fans that could protest.

Edited by xxialac

27 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I don't deny that it could be the twisted reasoning of the band, but it stops there: the ticket buyers, APE, the press and probably their managers as well certainly won't buy that. Clearly they need to address the situation in other ways than playing a show and saying nothing.

Edited by emmanuel

12 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I agree it's unlikely but it's not inconceivable.

Drake - hardly a cheap z-lister - did a surprise 5 song show at day festival Wireless two years ago.

And the whole point of the secret show concept in the first place was that by not making them the headliner you don't mobilise the fans that could protest.

Drake replaced DJ Khaled pulling out, while he was a surprise it was quite different circumstances i'd say

That last sentence just makes it sound like they are pulling a sly one. Someone will book them eventually but it won't be APE, will be DF concerts (scottish) probably given the shit their head spouts out

12 hours ago, xxialac said:

PJ Harvey is due a live comeback and pretty sure her new album will be out this year.

She is just the right size to headline too.

Not too sure on headline size myself but also not too familiar. Sounds to me like it would end up being a free ticket special