Green Man 2023

March Hare

56 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

GM are always going to have a solid line up but I just hope thst they manage to book similarly culturally diverse acts next year.  I thought this year’s line up was excellent in that respect.  Acts like Dur-Dur Band, Wau Wau Colleftif, Otoboke Beaver (they were booked for 2020) and Orchestra Poly-Rhythmo de Cotonou would be cool but there’s loads of other possibilities and loads I wouldn’t have heard of.

Agreed.  Hopefully GM will have taken note of the reception given to Orchestra Baobab, Mdou Moctar and BCUC and are able to bill for 2023 some comparable and similarly diverse African acts.

13 hours ago, benali said:

Sufjan Stevens is my dream booking for a headliner.

Came here to ask the hivemind if we thought Sufjan was out of reach? Would also be an absolute dream for me.

For undercard: Lambchop, Andrew Bird, Orville Peck and Gang Of Youths pls.

1 hour ago, artbrut_architecture said:

No specific place, just thought with their smaller performance earlier this year and hints from Geoff Barrow of new stuff it could be finally happening. 

You're probably right, a Latitude or APE slot is more likely.

He actually said on an Instagram q and a there were no plans for Portishead in the upcoming future 

My wishlist for this is the same as my wishlist for EOTR 2023. Whoever gets the most of these is likely the one I'll attend. 

Pavement, Deerhunter, Grouper, Skee Mask, L'Rain, The Soft Pink Truth, Nala Sinephro, Spirit of the Beehive, Animal Collective, Hinako Omori, They Hate Change, Jeff Parker, Daniel Avery, Amen Dunes, Ronald Langestraat, Robbie and Mona, Mitski, PJ Harvey, Lyra Pramuk, Moses Sumney, Oliver Coates, Klein, 

Hate to say it but I'm pretty sure Sufjan said he wouldn't really be touring much more in the future in a fairly recent interview. I think he might be transitioning into more of an album release kinda guy. Maybe he's just waiting for a more tour appropriate album though. His last one didn't strike me as something that needed touring, and his collab album might be a pain to organise with the two of em.

Okay I am loving all of these wish lists so might as well do one.  Have tried to be (semi) realistic. 

I'm not too fussed about the headliners but if they could book either one of Pavement or Bjork, that would be perfect.  Obviously Sufjan would be incredible too.  I would love Sigur Ros to headline as they are one of my all time favourite bands.  

Mountain stage: Alvvays, Weyes Blood, Anna Calvi, Bat For Lashes, The Avalanches, Melody's Echo Chamber, Nathalie Lafoucarde, Julien Baker, Julia Holter, Goldfrapp. 

Far Out: Just Mustard, Huun-Huur-Tu, Anna Von Hausswolff, caroline, Haru Nemuri, Swans, Bikini Kill, Dan Deacon, Les Savy Fav, Protomartyr, RAY, tricot, Circuit des Yeux, Otoboke Beaver, SLIFT, Parannoul, Elori Saxl, Rachika Naya, Virgina Wing, Horsegirl, Audiobooks, Kero Kero Bonito, Gilla Band, L'Rain.

Walled GardenAnna B Savage, Hatchie, Grouper, Silvana Estrada, Owen Pallett, Brooke Bentham, Mabe Fratti, Katie Malco, Skullcrusher, Katy Kirby, Yasmin Williams, skirts, Timbre, Ada Lea. 

Rising: Legss, Kyoto Kyoto, Ugly (UK), O. 

Edited by lessthanwill1
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If we're going down the route of picking bands for Riding then here's some of mine:

Cowboyy, Pyncher, Gag Salon, Haal, Shtepi, Maruja, Children of the Pope, Welly, lilo, Bleach Lab, Fraulein, Byker Grove Fan Club, Quade, Maja Lena.

Trying to guess these is probably my favourite part of the GM build up!

16 minutes ago, benali said:

If we're going down the route of picking bands for Riding then here's some of mine:

Cowboyy, Pyncher, Gag Salon, Haal, Shtepi, Maruja, Children of the Pope, Welly, lilo, Bleach Lab, Fraulein, Byker Grove Fan Club, Quade, Maja Lena.

Nice! Don’t know any of those apart from Fraulein so will check them out.

I find following So Young Magazine’s features usually give you a good indication of the likely bands, particularly the ones who have only released a few songs. 

1 hour ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Nice! Don’t know any of those apart from Fraulein so will check them out.

I find following So Young Magazine’s features usually give you a good indication of the likely bands, particularly the ones who have only released a few songs.

Cool. Most of them are bands I have seen mentioned somewhere and then followed on bandcamp.

I saw Haal play with Koyoto Koyoto recently. Welly are very new, saw them a couple of weeks ago and it was a lot of fun.

Cowboyy are in the new So Young. They are pretty local to us so we've seen them supporting loads of bands. They haven't released any music yet although some is coming.

2 hours ago, benali said:

I'm a big fan of Maruja. Had a great moment with seeing one of their songs live. They were supporting Enola Gay who I kind of lost interest in between buying tickets and going, but I still went anyway. I'd not listened to any of their music before seeing them so during the song "Tao" my opinion went from: "this isn't too bad" to "this is actually great" and then finally during the saxaphone break in the song to "holy shit! This is one of the best things I've heard all year!"

If you're not familiar with them, and especially the song Tao, you should give them a listen as I think they're great, and they were awesome live.

50 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

I’d missed the fact that Bjork has announced a new album (fossora).  First single out soon supposedly - maybe tomorrow?  GM ‘23 here we go!!!

I've seen some vinyl listings that show the whole thing is out 30th September so gotta be a single soon.

She'd be a great booking, given her visuals on recent tours and this one being nature/mushroom focused it'd look incredible on the mountain stage. 

(Get the mushroom man stall guy to do live mushroom carving whilst she's playing 👀)

5 hours ago, benali said:

Byker Grove Fan Club are awesome. I saw them down in Brighton in the spring between Unschooling and Joe & The Shitboys with the legend Big Jeff. Hopefully he'll be able to back next year too.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

If we're doing fantasy lists: Spoon (who I'm surprised have never played GM or EOTR), the Mountain Goats, Julia Jacklin, Daniel Rossen, Sylvan Esso, Illuminati Hotties, The Beths, Indigo Sparke, Algiers, Jesse Tabish (from Other Lives), Cheekface, Kate Davis, The WAEVE, Drahla, BEAK>, Hamish Hawk. Obviously Low too if all is well.

Gimme all of that, throw in Stella Donnelly, Dama Scout, Cherry Glazerr and I'd need to change my mind about not being there.

(And yes, that would be too late, if they sell out once again before we know the line-up.)

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Yoss said:

Gimme all of that, throw in Stella Donnelly, Dama Scout, Cherry Glazerr and I'd need to change my mind about not being there.

(And yes, that would be too late, if they sell out once again before we know the line-up.)

I genuinely thought I'd put Donnelly in until this, especially with the Welsh connection. (Actually, best put some Welsh acts in - CHROMA, Murder Club, Live Do Nothing, Mace The Great, Blue Amber, Panic Shack in Far Out... Helen Love?)

• Upvote 1

Melin Melyn have to be back again after their incredible performances the past two years. I can see them opening the Mountain on Thursday next year. There are always a few Rising acts taking a step up too - I'll go for Lime Garden, English Teacher and Bingo Fury. I'd love for Pushpin and M(h)aol to come back but feel the others are more likely to gain momentum. I think Blodau Papur could step up from Settlement too. Would be lovely in the Walled Garden.

Snapped Ankles are due a return, as are The Lovely Eggs, Do Nothing and The Cool Greenhouse. Tropical Fuck Storm too?

For lesser known acts to various degrees (at least in the UK), I'll chuck in a random selection of those I've enjoyed recently: Fat Dog, Potron Potron Lopez, ARXX, Automatic, Lido Pimienta, Platonica Erotica, TEKE::TEKE, Treeboy & Arc, Penguin Cafe, Kills Birds, deep tan, Butch Kassidy, VLURE, and Mermaid Chunky. No idea if any of them have played previously! I feel like TEKE::TEKE, Lido Pimienta and Penguin Cafe would all go down a treat in the WG.