Tramlines 2023 and Hillsborough Gigs

stanh

23 hours ago, sheffinghell said:

This is pretty much what a friend said to me this morning! Still looking forward to tonight, but may have been spoiled by having seen Richard Hawley on very good form in a small venue earlier this week. Not the biggest fan of big gigs, but it's Sheffield, so had to be done. 

What did you think? We were there last night too and I actually thought they were brilliant. I'd read so many mixed reviews that I was a bit worried but we were really pleasantly surprised by how good they were. I mean, we are never going to get more than a few words out of Alex but he has always been the same. I don't even think it's about him being too cool - I think he just can't do it. As a front man, I actually think he has gotten better at it over the years 

Still slightly gutted I miss A Certain Romance on Friday. I was at Heaton Park for Courteeners. AM blew them out of park 

Edited by Digi

Thoroughly enjoyed AM but rather miffed about how the front pen worked. I wouldn’t have such an issue if they advertised it as a first come first served system for wrist bands but a bit sham that if you turn up later and even if there is room in the front section you can’t go in even if those with wristbands are relaxing somewhere at the back at that point 

On 6/11/2023 at 10:19 AM, Digi said:

What did you think? We were there last night too and I actually thought they were brilliant. I'd read so many mixed reviews that I was a bit worried but we were really pleasantly surprised by how good they were. I mean, we are never going to get more than a few words out of Alex but he has always been the same. I don't even think it's about him being too cool - I think he just can't do it. As a front man, I actually think he has gotten better at it over the years 

Still slightly gutted I miss A Certain Romance on Friday. I was at Heaton Park for Courteeners. AM blew them out of park 

Musically superb, great staging, although I thought it was a bit weird cutting the lights between songs. I was a bit disappointed with the lack of interaction tbh. I'm not expecting Jarvis levels of energy (or Brett Anderson, who was incredible at Kite yesterday), but a bit of hey Sheffield, how are you doing, good to be home, etc, would've been nice. 

I was lucky enough to get into the front pit. Great view and not as crowded as I thought it might be. I'm not sure it was needed, as didn't seem to be a lot of moshing. It was also not managed well, as when I went in, a lot were getting a wristband then going straight back out until AM came on. The sea of phones in there throughout was a tad annoying, especially as half of them seemed to be filming themselves singing along. I know, I'm an old grouch, but not tall, and do like to see the band!

The reception of The Hives down front seemed pretty lacklustre too. Totally different to their crowd at Live at Leeds the other week, which was a fantastic festival experience. 

All in all, glad I went, great gig, but not the best I've ever seen by far.

52 minutes ago, Btyler said:

Agree re front pen - lucky enough to get a wrist band and had lots of space , absolutely loved it.

Separate note , was fantastic having pale rider on at a lot of the bars- chance of this happening at tramlines?

The license for Pale Rider is owned by one of the Monkeys mates from way back who also part owns bars with Matt Helders.  Suspect this is how Pale Rider got onto the bar offering.

Probably a separate arrangement for Tramlines and know there has been a tie in with Thornbridge previously.

Regardless be nice for the prices not to rise at Tramlines.   Deems to be +50p every year. 

16 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

The license for Pale Rider is owned by one of the Monkeys mates from way back who also part owns bars with Matt Helders.  Suspect this is how Pale Rider got onto the bar offering.

Probably a separate arrangement for Tramlines and know there has been a tie in with Thornbridge previously.

Regardless be nice for the prices not to rise at Tramlines.   Deems to be +50p every year. 

Interesting! Just been reading up about it , having lived in Kelham behind the fat cat for a few years was very sad when the brewery closed up shop… https://thornbridgebrewery.co.uk/blogs/news-from-the-brewery/saving-kelham-island-brewery-the-return-of-pale-rider

if james o hara involved here could be a chance of it coming trammers too?

agree re beer prices 

40 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

On the poster as The Scottish Flys.

What is the most common start to a Scottish name ?  Mc !

Mc + Fly + McFly.

I understand that bit, worked that out a while ago. I just cant get my head round out of all the bands out there why the first secret set I've seen at Tramlines is f**king McFly of all bands, not exactly your typical Tramlines main stage band. 

55 minutes ago, swede said:

I understand that bit, worked that out a while ago. I just cant get my head round out of all the bands out there why the first secret set I've seen at Tramlines is f**king McFly of all bands, not exactly your typical Tramlines main stage band. 

Agree with that. I'm not a massive fan myself but caught them at Glasto last year and they were actually pretty good (in a purely nostalgic sense). Think they could go down quite well at Tramlines.

1 hour ago, swede said:

They have a headline show in Leeds M Square a week or two before

Not long now.  Who are people planning on seeing. 

Here is my schedule from the App.  Don't think I will have time for a beer on Friday !!

Friday
The Enemy
Dead Pony
Circa Waves
Dead Letter
Sea Girls
The Mary Wallopers
DMA's
The K's
Bloc Party

Saturday
Franz Von
EPB
Red Rum Club
McFly
High School
Blossoms
Courteeners

Sunday
The Zutons
Courting
Rev
Wunderhorse
Anyone but Kaiser Chiefs !!!!!!
Paul Heaton 

17 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Not long now.  Who are people planning on seeing. 

Here is my schedule from the App.  Don't think I will have time for a beer on Friday !!

Friday
The Enemy
Dead Pony
Circa Waves
Dead Letter
Sea Girls
The Mary Wallopers
DMA's
The K's
Bloc Party

Saturday
Franz Von
EPB
Red Rum Club
McFly
High School
Blossoms
Courteeners

Sunday
The Zutons
Courting
Rev
Wunderhorse
Anyone but Kaiser Chiefs !!!!!!
Paul Heaton 

Not too dissimilar, although I don't mind Kaiser Chiefs. Add in Spector on Saturday and a bit of comedy - definitely seeing bit of Omid Djalili, see how it goes then nip round for the Zutons. Shame they've pitched Sugababes directly against Paul Heaton.