Volunteering 2023

neil93

6 hours ago, philipsteak said:

f**king Stickleball Gate again this year. f**king Stickleball. 

This better hadn't become 'my gate'. Although it seems once you're a team leader on a gate you tend to stay there. Certainly on the normal ped and vehicle gates anyway.

I've never been to Stickleball but it sounds far far away from what everyone says!  How do you know your shifts? Are you on earlies?

4 hours ago, balti-pie said:

The perfect time to bust out the fizzy snakes for all and sundry! i never underestimate the importance of snacky things when it all gets a bit cold, boring and tiring 

That was very my old tactic, but the type 2 diabetes has put a stop to that. (The two may be connected)

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jfaragher said:

It's times like that when it's quite hard to hold on to the fact that this is the trade off for getting to Glastonbury I guess.  Old hands tend to be a bit better at just putting up with it, but for a new steward (who might also be at Glastonbury for the first time) hearing the party happen *over there* whilst you're doing f**k all in the middle of the night can be tough to take.

Some get frustrated too that it all seems so pointless and a waste of time and money. I just try pointing out that without these "pointless" positions they'd have even less chance of getting in

3 hours ago, stuie said:

I've never been to Stickleball but it sounds far far away from what everyone says!  How do you know your shifts? Are you on earlies?

43 minutes ago, March Hare said:

I think you get an email in advance if you are a team leader

You do. With briefing notes about your gate. 

No earlies unfortunately. I don't actually know when my shifts are just where

Edited by philipsteak

1 hour ago, philipsteak said:

You do. With briefing notes about your gate. 

No earlies unfortunately. I don't actually know when my shifts are just where

Ah mate, I feel for you...!

That Stickleball gate is a pain in the arse.

I wonder if it will actually be on the map this time. . .

Going to Glastonbury for my 11th time this year but my first time volunteering with Oxfam as never managed to get tickets in October/April. Quite a few in my usual group didnt but we all got some volunteer spots and really excited about seeing another side to it all but got a few questions if anyone can answer please.

The showers, i know you get 3 tokens but once you use them are you still able to use the showers at all or once you use them thats it? 

Also the bit you charge yer phones and phone banks can girls use the plugs for say hair straighteners (I know but its my girlfriend who wondered that and tried to tell her its Glastonbury you dont need them who cares 😂

How long (on a good day) does it take to walk from Oxcamp to say the top of the pyramid field. What is the walk like in comparison to say gate C to east 17 camper fields (probably one of the sloggiest walks there is). 

Any answers much appreciated 🙂

Edited by TaylorT

5 minutes ago, TaylorT said:

Going to Glastonbury for my 11th time this year but my first time volunteering as never managed to get tickets in October/April. Quite a few in my usual group didnt but we all got some volunteer spots and really excited about seeing another side to it all but got a few questions if anyone can answer please.

The showers, i know you get 3 tokens but once you use them are you still able to use the showers at all or once you use them thats it? 

Also the bit you charge yer phones and phone banks can girls use the plugs for say hair straighteners (I know but its my girlfriend who wondered that and tried to tell her its Glastonbury you dont need them who cares 😂

How long (on a good day) does it take to walk from Oxcamp to say the top of the pyramid field. What is the walk like in comparison to say gate C to east 17 camper fields (probably one of the sloggiest walks there is). 

Any answers much appreciated 🙂

1. Unless you can blag/trade a token from someone then no.

2. Really really no.

3 15 minutes ish.

3 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

2. Really really no.

3 15 minutes ish.

Nice short sharp answer cheers buddy that gets that put to bed.

2 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Actually maybe more like 10 ish. Depends how fast you walk

I’m quite a fast walker so probably the 10 mark for me. Doesnt seem anything like that walk from E17 to gate C then. 

2 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

2. Really really no.

3 15 minutes ish.

I'd put a minor note on 1. that you can still use the public showers on site of course, and possibly the ones near Toms field if they're still open to all staff (there'll probably be others with a similar status elsewhere that I don't know about). But yeah the ones in the Oxfam field have the limit.

On 6/17/2023 at 3:37 PM, incident said:

I'd put a minor note on 1. that you can still use the public showers on site of course, and possibly the ones near Toms field if they're still open to all staff (there'll probably be others with a similar status elsewhere that I don't know about). But yeah the ones in the Oxfam field have the limit

Volunteer for Shelter and the showers are unlimited.   I presume this is because we're serving so need to keep the cleanliness up 

Hi, I have a bit of a daft footwear question. This will be my tenth Glastonbury but first one volunteering with Shelter. Will I be ok in Gortex boots behind the bar? Just wondering if it gets extra muddy behind there with all the liquid sloshing about? I really want to avoid lugging my wellies all the way there if I won’t need them