Volunteering 2023

neil93

On 6/2/2023 at 10:19 PM, philipsteak said:

Not had a response shift at Glastonbury for ages. They are good though. Especially for the early one, just fall out of your tent/van and you are there rather than having to trek to a different timezone like some locations. And then part of your shift is spent getting to your location (if you are even needed. Although these days it seems they are mostly used)

I've had confirmed that I am driving again this year with Oxfam, so likewise roll out of the van and go grab the keys off the outgoing driver, then head out with my cup of coffee and breakfast.

8 minutes ago, jfaragher said:

I've had confirmed that I am driving again this year with Oxfam, so likewise roll out of the van and go grab the keys off the outgoing driver, then head out with my cup of coffee and breakfast.

Nice. Mini bus or landrover?

Always jealous of the drivers. Like you say, shift starts in the oxfield and everyone is always really happy to see you. Actually, the best job is driver's mate. All the perks, non of the stress.

Just one question, especially if you are a minibus driver. Do you know the way to Stickleball Gate. I'm really hoping I'm not supervising there again this year but there was some confusion with some of the drivers as to whether you could actually get there. Admittedly it is that far that you may need to factor in a stop for diesel.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Nice. Mini bus or landrover?

Always jealous of the drivers. Like you say, shift starts in the oxfield and everyone is always really happy to see you. Actually, the best job is driver's mate. All the perks, non of the stress.

Just one question, especially if you are a minibus driver. Do you know the way to Stickleball Gate. I'm really hoping I'm not supervising there again this year but there was some confusion with some of the drivers as to whether you could actually get there. Admittedly it is that far that you may need to factor in a stop for diesel.

I don't drive the minibuses, as I'm not licenced for them...  I love the role, but it's much more challenging than you'd think - there's always loads going on, and you have to be pretty focused the whole time because driving on a festival site is pretty challenging what with everyone being determined to throw themselves infront of your vehicle without warning.

Stickleball gate is a tricky one - some of the drivers were happy to go out there, but other's weren't as you needed to drive through a public area, which can be risky.  

1 hour ago, CBR said:

So do we think there'll be many spaces going in the next week or two or do we think that's pretty much it now?

It’s all guesswork.  It’s limited places now. 

At these point, only the truly dedicated get places.  Those who are ready 9-5 within a minute of the place becoming available.

But the places that came up a week ago went live at 06:50 so who knows 🤷🏽‍♂️

16 minutes ago, jfaragher said:

I don't drive the minibuses, as I'm not licenced for them...  I love the role, but it's much more challenging than you'd think - there's always loads going on, and you have to be pretty focused the whole time because driving on a festival site is pretty challenging what with everyone being determined to throw themselves infront of your vehicle without warning.

Stickleball gate is a tricky one - some of the drivers were happy to go out there, but other's weren't as you needed to drive through a public area, which can be risky.  

As the week went on I think drivers got more confident about getting down there (and just how to get there). My first shift I was dropped off and picked up at D, the second near the Park, and my third was at Stickleball. I'm not blaming the drivers, no one knew where the f**k it was to start with. Not helped by the fact it wasn't even on the map

1 hour ago, jfaragher said:

Thats sounds like a cool role, how do you put yourself forward for it?

I was driving on site before the festival started last year and boy you really do need to stay focused, but it was enjoyable

Edited by wweerr208

38 minutes ago, wweerr208 said:

Thats sounds like a cool role, how do you put yourself forward for it?

I was driving on site before the festival started last year and boy you really do need to stay focused, but it was enjoyable

I've been stewarding with Oxfam for a while, and honestly don't know why I've been chosen to drive!  I've speculated that it's one of a few things - I'm averagely competent (I'd describe myself as steady and reliable), comfortable with planning / managing myself and what I'm doing (which is kind of critical for driving - you get loads of requests for delivering stuff, moving people, other random logistics stuff and you have to think about the best way to do it all, whilst still getting people a brew...), and quite cheerful. 

My alternative theory is that I'm best when I'm not working directly with the public 🙂

/edit - you can always put in your stewarding details stuff on the Oxfam website that it's something you'd like to be considered for.

Edited by jfaragher

36 minutes ago, jfaragher said:

I've been stewarding with Oxfam for a while, and honestly don't know why I've been chosen to drive!  I've speculated that it's one of a few things - I'm averagely competent (I'd describe myself as steady and reliable), comfortable with planning / managing myself and what I'm doing (which is kind of critical for driving - you get loads of requests for delivering stuff, moving people, other random logistics stuff and you have to think about the best way to do it all, whilst still getting people a brew...), and quite cheerful. 

My alternative theory is that I'm best when I'm not working directly with the public 🙂

/edit - you can always put in your stewarding details stuff on the Oxfam website that it's something you'd like to be considered for.

big thanks for the info

11 hours ago, jfaragher said:

Bagsy a lift if we're the same shift and I'm in the middle of nowhere (not the Shangri-la one).

On 6/3/2023 at 8:20 PM, glasto-worker said:

I was not meaning Your group organiser HQ I was meaning WBC HQ as after all they are the ones handing out tickets.

The main problem is ' you cant get a private car ' though yellow gate
without a pass so you cant drive in and dump your stuff and then park.

+ you may not even get into public parking without a letter of authority 

2pm Tuesday 20th of June would make sense but you have to make bloody certain that you can make it { allowing time to park and walking down to Gate A }

9pm would be risky as I don't know any coach that would plan to arrive at that time { big note I am only going on previous years }

but provided its cleared by the WBC anytime in the afternoon as they will be there for all the various Coach arrivals { they will send the letter of authority to get into parking } 

+ you could wait hours - Last year they could not find my ticket even although I have been with them 34 years !!! and there was about 50 of us waiting for nearly 2 hours before they found them.

Years ago it was easier as there was a Portacabin you could go to but I think they have ditched that unit.

Thanks for this. I've checked and I'll be sent a parking permit through the post. The bloke with my tickets and stuff is on site from the Monday so I'm fully prepared for a pain in the arse trying to get the tickets from him. But I'll worry about that once I'm there. 

12 minutes ago, CleanShirt said:

The Stewarding WhatsApp is coming alive with people securing spots for their friends.. apparently zpaces are up on Oxfam now... Get in there asap if you're still looking for a spot!

Oh no I missed it again :( been refreshing all evening too! Any tips from anyone or help would be amazing

37 minutes ago, franks said:

Just got 2 spots for me and my partner! Absolutely over the moon!! Hopefully still there if anyone wants them

5 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

I'm in too! Literally can't believe it.

Congratulations all... there's still hope, if somewhat irregular !

• Like 1

Can’t believe I’ve missed them again. Have been glued to my laptop 9-5 since they officially released the last batch. Seems like the times are very random. 

If anyone has any tips for just getting one spot or if there is a WhatsApp, I’d be really appreciative of any assistance. Just looking for one for my partner. 

Just now, Glasto7 said:

Can’t believe I’ve missed them again. Have been glued to my laptop 9-5 since they officially released the last batch. Seems like the times are very random. 

If anyone has any tips for just getting one spot or if there is a WhatsApp, I’d be really appreciative of any assistance. Just looking for one for my partner. 

Same! Being done by the 7am and 10pm drops 😂

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Blank Expression said:

Same! Being done by the 7am and 10pm drops 😂

Yeah I really can’t believe this is twice in a row now.

If theres a WhatsApp group that I can be added to where people let you know if a batch is up that would be perfect. Been praying to get a spot for months now and just keep missing them🥲

10 minutes ago, CBR said:

Yeah I really can’t believe this is twice in a row now.

If theres a WhatsApp group that I can be added to where people let you know if a batch is up that would be perfect. Been praying to get a spot for months now and just keep missing them🥲

It’s the Glastonbury Oxfam volunteers what’s app - obviously people already with a place getting places for their ticketless friends. 
I missed it again too 🙁

On 5/31/2023 at 12:32 PM, northernbro said:

Congrats to everyone who got a place this morning !!!

Like others I’ve being sat on proceed for the last 2 weeks refreshing half hourly somehow wasn’t online this morning when this latest batch were released 😢😪

It’s unreal….had an Oxfam place in 2020 which was obviously lost during the Covid years, missed out on tickets for last year and then in November got through to payment verification multiple times but was failed at the seetickets end after being a click away from tickets then and now can’t catch a break here 🥲

It’s starting to feel like I’ll never make it back and I’ve done something to upset the glasto gods 😅

Had mentally checked out from going this year as it’s been a barren few weeks on the Oxfam front but now I’ve been pulled back in 🤞🏼

Also got 1 of the spots this evening at 22:22 ☺️🙏🏼😮💨 distill came through for me

can’t quite believe it!!! I can finally say I’m going to Glastonbury :))

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3