Fitness for Glastonbury 2023

gigpusher

IMG_20230220_162840.thumb.jpg.14716a48d0376cd65307cb35c92ab287.jpg

Other than a rubbish Saturday (combo of crap weather, meeting a friend for lunch and driving cross country) another decent week. I mean it was no half-marathon! Great work @sfroml. I probably walked about 12 miles on Sunday and that was properly knackered so doing more that that in 97 minutes is properly impressive.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gigpusher said:

End of month weigh day and I have lost 8.6lb's or 3.9kg's whichever you prefer. That's a total of 17.4 lb's or 7.89kg since January. Going in the right direction. If i continue like this should hopefully make a difference by the time I get to Glastonbury. 

Congrats! I am guessing you can treat yourself to a couple of new clothing items already 🙂

31 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I have whole wardrobes in a variety of sizes. Been here before!! Damn Covid hit when I was at my healthiest and fittest. 

Ah yes... I have two pairs of jeans I am not giving to charity as a "the day I fit in those I am good". And they are not jeans from 20 years ago (I don't think i would ever be able to wear that size again) ... They are from 3/4 years ago 😕

Excellent work everyone. 

Unlike a lot on here I have been weighing myself every day. I'm a numbers guy. It helps motivate me. But, been away this week so well be interesting to see what's happened when I get back. I've stayed active and pretty healthy food wise (mostly seek catering) but bloody hell its hard to eat out low carb in a large part of the country, especially at lunch which seems to be 90% bread/potato/sugar based. 

8 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

bloody hell its hard to eat out low carb in a large part of the country, especially at lunch which seems to be 90% bread/potato/sugar based. 

If you'd be working here you'd have just seen the following happening: half our floor is management, the other half (=us) is IT. Management tends to buy a lot of fast food on Friday for lunch and ask us after if we want what they have because they have too much. They were just met with an overall NO from 90% of us. Whatever happened to unhealthy geeks uh?

As for me I am about two weeks away from finishing C5K. It is quite intense now and I have to space the sessions a bit / revert to a shorter session as not to hurt my joints. I do sleep extremely well after a run though. I may try to step on a scale this week end. Or maybe after a run as a cheat as I do tend to run hot and probably sweat out water 😛

back home and weighed myself for the first time in a week, and, for the first time i think in my adult life, I am officially "healthy". BMI of exactly, bang on, 25. (Possibly means I'm still technically on the wrong side of it, but generally the guidance says 18-25 so I'm taking it!) 

I mean realistically there's still a ways to go and I need to get much fitter to go with the weight loss (and the title of this thread). There's still definitely some belly to get rid of so won't be slacking yet, but a big big milestone to pass. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

Breaking news: I can fit into two pairs of jeans I couldn't fit in at Xmas 🙂 The 4 years ago jeans are still a no go but well, Rome wasn't built in one day.

I should hit 100k steps this week and my resting heart rate as reached a new low.

Thought I'd share a pic of my walk yesterday as for once it was a bit nicer than my usual. No pretty Lake district hills but that's a given in the Netherlands... Smallish 1h30 walk in a bird and heather area. Will come back when the birds are there and the heather is in bloom 😛

20230225_133121.jpg

• Like 5

On 2/24/2023 at 12:33 PM, gigpusher said:

I have whole wardrobes in a variety of sizes. Been here before!! Damn Covid hit when I was at my healthiest and fittest. 

lucky you, i can't fit into any of my pre-illness trousers. not even with all the exercise i'm doing.

Monday 14,074

Tuesday 14,281

Wednesday 15,554

Thursday 14,128

Friday 16,155

Saturday 18,552

Sunday 22,463

Total – 115,207

Last weeks steps about 2k down on last week as yesterday wasn't quite as monster a day as last Sunday but most other days were actually a little higher as I have been able to go a little longer in the nights as we have a bit more daylight. 

23 hours ago, moogster said:

Breaking news: I can fit into two pairs of jeans I couldn't fit in at Xmas 🙂 The 4 years ago jeans are still a no go but well, Rome wasn't built in one day.

I should hit 100k steps this week and my resting heart rate as reached a new low.

Thought I'd share a pic of my walk yesterday as for once it was a bit nicer than my usual. No pretty Lake district hills but that's a given in the Netherlands... Smallish 1h30 walk in a bird and heather area. Will come back when the birds are there and the heather is in bloom 😛

20230225_133121.jpg

Definitely regretting getting rid of some clothes last year. Not the jeans though. Glad they've gone. Bootcut for fuck's sake. Bootcut! 

37 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Definitely regretting getting rid of some clothes last year. Not the jeans though. Glad they've gone. Bootcut for fuck's sake. Bootcut! 

You should have kept them. I'm pretty sure the fashion will be back next year. Just like my old slims that apparently are not cool now. I do have to donate a shirt I really like though, it was always too tight on the shoulders/back  and whatever I do my skeleton won't change... 
I had a couple of naughty days food wise this weekend so need to be careful this week. Am two trainings from the end of couch to 5K and am wondering what to do next, faster or longer. I'll try a bit of faster first I think.

1 minute ago, moogster said:

You should have kept them. I'm pretty sure the fashion will be back next year. Just like my old slims that apparently are not cool now. I do have to donate a shirt I really like though, it was always too tight on the shoulders/back  and whatever I do my skeleton won't change... 
I had a couple of naughty days food wise this weekend so need to be careful this week. Am two trainings from the end of couch to 5K and am wondering what to do next, faster or longer. I'll try a bit of faster first I think.

I had some delicious food at the weekend as well. I think as long as it's balanced with activity and generally healthy eating it's not a problem. We have to live as well. 

I’ve had a bad cold / exhaustion thing for 4 weeks so all my good work getting running fit has probably been mostly undone.. not quite ready to give running another go but I’ve restarted cycling to work the one day I’m in the office and I’ve done some long walks.   
Illness related set backs seem to be a regular feature for me, just got to not get too frustrated and get back on it.  

40 minutes ago, Pipine said:

I’ve had a bad cold / exhaustion thing for 4 weeks so all my good work getting running fit has probably been mostly undone.. not quite ready to give running another go but I’ve restarted cycling to work the one day I’m in the office and I’ve done some long walks.   
Illness related set backs seem to be a regular feature for me, just got to not get too frustrated and get back on it.  

I don't think you lose everything in 4 weeks. Don't give up 🙂 My partner got a quite strong covid last year (thanks Glasto!) but lost less running power than expected in the month and a half the effects lingered on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moogster said:

We cannot allow this to happen.

5 K completed! Woohoo!

Especially rewarding because I always hated running. I was never able to complete the 20 mn run at school, partially due to the asthma I suffered from as a kid. So yes, can't run/won't run in your 16 year old body? No worries, you can do it in your mid 40s 🙂

• Upvote 2