Rock Werchter 2023

BenG92

15 minutes ago, 49Lawson said:

This is it for me as well. I don’t mind one non-rock headliner each year but at the end of the day, it’s called Rock Werchter. I don’t go to Wireless or Tomorrowland forums and demand that they start booking Pearl Jam and Metallica. 

I am aware that I sound very “old man yells at cloud” when this subject comes up but I always think that a lot of festivals would have better ticket sales if they focus on one or two genres or a specific style of music instead of trying to over diversify their line ups 

Rock Werchter I feel is at its best when they book the big rock acts to headline, but there is variety across the day. I vividly remember seeing Metallica and Nine Inch Nails, with the undercard being Kaiser Chiefs, Black Eyed Peas and The Mars Volta. 

The variety is what makes it, more than often they hit their mark. 

11 minutes ago, Sparticus said:

Rock Werchter I feel is at its best when they book the big rock acts to headline, but there is variety across the day. I vividly remember seeing Metallica and Nine Inch Nails, with the undercard being Kaiser Chiefs, Black Eyed Peas and The Mars Volta. 

But Metallica members will be 70 in 10 years time. Rock Werchter will need new headliners (and I mean, 50K-selling ones) to keep it fresh. You cant book RHCP-Pearl Jam-Metallica-Foos-The Cure-Muse forever... 

50 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

I woud love Jay Z to make a return to RW. His 2008 show is not only one of the best hiphop shows I have seen, but als one of the best shows I have ever seen at Rock Werchter. 

I am here for it. Saw him perform on tour with Bey in 2018 and he totally killed it

1 minute ago, lighthouse said:

But Metallica members will be 70 in 10 years time. Rock Werchter will need new headliners (and I mean, 50K-selling ones) to keep it fresh. You cant book RHCP-Pearl Jam-Metallica-Foos-The Cure-Muse forever... 

I get that completely, but the for the organisers, their role is to sell out the next edition, not to future proof. Download Festival has the same problem (with a much smaller headliner pool), there will always be new acts, but proven ticket sellers (basically, every band you listed) will always get booked. 

18 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

I fell in love for Rock Werchter 15 years ago just because they book diverse. The run of Slayer - Jay-Z - The Verve - Neil Young - Moby on the main stage was magical. And what was the last truly big rock headliner that could headline Rock Werchter? Arctic Monkeys, who are around since 2005? 😅 The big new headliners are not to be found in what you call "rock". 

Good music is good music. I loved the 2020 set of headliners for instance. Going from The Strokes to SOAD to Kendrick Lamar to Faith No More to 21 Pilots to Pearl Jam. But maybe I am too naive to think that most people enjoy a lot of kinds of music. 

God that sounds like an amazing day! I do appreciate what you’ve said there though, hardly any big bands come through nowadays in these genres (for whatever reason that may be) and that festivals do have to move with the times. I think ultimately I just end up lamenting the fact that I was born too late to enjoy the days when festivals could pull off line ups like that 2008 one you mentioned. 

We did have tickets for 2020 though and I did think it was a fantastic line up overall; some of the undercard was pushing some great newer rock/indie bands further up the line up and it was great to see

14 minutes ago, Sparticus said:

Totally agree with your first comment there; I remember in 2018 I saw Post Malone at about 2 in the afternoon in the Barn and he was fantastic. I’m absolutely not opposed to them having big dance, rap etc bands on the line up. My big ask is that they keep the top of the main stage for ‘rock’ bands. (But I do appreciate that it’s just my humble opinion, they have 80,000 people a day to try and cater for)

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Karlos12345 said:

We have Primavera on Tuesday and Sziget on Thursday confirmed. Probably more from NOS and hopefully a quick ending to Mad Cool‘s game nights. Anything I forgot?

Down The Rabbit Hole will be dropping their lineup, Northside will be sharing their first names and Hellfest will announce ‘very soon’.

But I reckon Primavera and Sziget will be the biggest hitters. Big week.

• Thanks 1

Due to the lack of festival news: here is my festival wishlist for Santa: 

Arcade Fire
Black Keys
Blur
Depeche Mode
Interpol
Lana del Rey
Massive Attack
Pulp
Rage Against the Machine
The Smile
System of a Down

Hope some of them will show up at Werchter! 

Edited by ParanoidTourist
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, ParanoidTourist said:

Due to the lack of festival news: here is my festival wishlist for Santa: 

Arcade Fire
Black Keys
Blur
Depeche Mode
Interpol
Lana del Rey
Massive Attack
Pulp
Rage Against the Machine
The Smile
System of a Down

Hope some of them will show up at Werchter! 

SOAD and Lana no dates, Massive on a break, Depeche exclusive to Primavera

4 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

But those dates make RW very unlikely. 

And DM is festival exclusive for the Primavera’s.

As a combination of all of it - the festival exclusivity, being confirmed elsewhere that weekend and already having Belgian concerts - that I think we can just say no DM for Werchter and move on.

Edited by charlierc