Football 2022/23

charlierc

7 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

The Wednesday fans who racially abused their manager didn’t deserve that. Hope Barnsley (or Bolton) batter them in the final.

The vast majority of Wednesday fans didn’t racially abuse him. Find the culprits, ban for life and get the police involved. I think it’s unfair to tar all the fans with the same brush.

6 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

The vast majority of Wednesday fans didn’t racially abuse him. Find the culprits, ban for life and get the police involved. I think it’s unfair to tar all the fans with the same brush.

When did I say ALL Wednesday fans did it ffs? Even if it's just a few, I still hope they get stuffed in the final!

3 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

When did I say ALL Wednesday fans did it ffs? Even if it's just a few, I still hope they get stuffed in the final!

You didn’t , but my view is if we want every club with idiots to lose then we want everyone to lose. I personally hope Sheffield Wednesday win, I think they deserve it.

9 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I thought when they announced the conference league it was a stupid idea. I have to say I was completely wrong. I think both Roma v Sevilla and West Ham v fiorentina are more interesting than the champions league final.

Roma v Sevilla is an interesting one. Jose Mourinho has never lost a European final, but Sevilla have won a crazy amount of Europa League titles in the last 20 years. Somebody is going to be bucking a trend in Budapest in a few weeks time then.

Though I would also agree in saying it could be more interesting game than Man City v Inter unless Inter do something remarkable.

On 5/14/2023 at 9:22 AM, thetime said:

2 wins and you are top 4, home games against Brighton and Leicester. You should be getting them wins. 

Liverpool will just fall short for me. Possibly only a point or 2, but fall short. 

After Brighton thumped Arsenal, I was nervous about last night. Didn't need to be in the end. Managed to mainly keep Brighton at arms length and got the goals when needed.

We shouldn't blow this now.

2 hours ago, lost said:

Spurs look terrible. Big Sam has as good as chance as any to inflate his ego with a hung over West Ham team and then Tottenham.

I’m amazed they are as high as they are, they have been crap every game I have seen them. It was funny listening to the radio how they were talking about how Kane should say he is leaving, I don’t think contracts work like that!

I know there's a lot of arguments over whether Arsenal blew the title. It's a curious one imo - on the one hand, you can say that having lead the league for so long and had 8 point leads at one point you're going to have to question how they let it slip, while at the same time wonder what they could've done when Manchester City managed to find an unstoppable tactic tweak and had the depth to just smother the competition.

46 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I know there's a lot of arguments over whether Arsenal blew the title. It's a curious one imo - on the one hand, you can say that having lead the league for so long and had 8 point leads at one point you're going to have to question how they let it slip, while at the same time wonder what they could've done when Manchester City managed to find an unstoppable tactic tweak and had the depth to just smother the competition.

They dropped 15 points in the last 8 games, winning just 2. I wouldn't say bottling it, but shows a lack of experience at going for titles from the manager to players.

Will there tone come again next season? I'm unsure. Liverpool will be bang on it again next season you would imagine. Man utd will probably be a little closer. Chelsea will be a bit differ6also next season. 

Newcastle will be am interesting watch next season. As squad wise will they cope with champions league and Premier league football, unless they bulk there numbers up. European run has certainly hindered man utd this season, perking up a bit since europa defeat.

51 minutes ago, charlierc said:

A bit of both - reminiscent of Keegan’s entertainers at Newcastle and Man Utd’s Cantona-inspired run in 96. Think the two matches where Arsenal gave away two-goal leads - rather than the City match - were the real turning point, especially that Liverpool match.

4 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

That point for Everton yesterday could be massive. They have a nice last home game and as long as Leicester don’t beat Newcastle, i can’t see them not doing enough.

Could be a bit interesting if Leicester can get a point tomorrow night. 

How does financial fair play work if a team gets related and comes straight back up with it being a 3 year rolling thing. Do they average out the prem years or does it completely reset?

This is it. Relegation is 99% confirmed. 

This is a lesson to all football clubs. Do not try the American model of football.

Ever since the San Francisco 49ers decided they wanted a go at “soccer” Leeds have been on a downhill spiral.

The US management and players they brought in have shown they are championship quality at best which is exactly where they are taking us. 

Just shows if you try to sell yourself for a quick “buck” you end up with nothing. 

5 hours ago, thetime said:

They dropped 15 points in the last 8 games, winning just 2. I wouldn't say bottling it, but shows a lack of experience at going for titles from the manager to players.

Will there tone come again next season? I'm unsure. Liverpool will be bang on it again next season you would imagine. Man utd will probably be a little closer. Chelsea will be a bit differ6also next season. 

Newcastle will be am interesting watch next season. As squad wise will they cope with champions league and Premier league football, unless they bulk there numbers up. European run has certainly hindered man utd this season, perking up a bit since europa defeat.

This was unquestionably a golden chance for Arsenal to win it and they couldn't make it happen, so there's unquestionably gonna be a disappointment they missed out. Equally, their defence just stopped being as reliable when William Saliba suffered a season ending injury, plus those who watch Arsenal more often I do said that Saka and Martinelli have looked burnt out in the last few weeks. They were good at St James' to beat us, but that's been one of the few occasions of late, and losing at Forest kinda hinted they've run out of puff.

As far as we go, I am wary that the last time Newcastle qualified for Europe in 2011/12, we underestimated the squad depth needed for Europa League in 2012/13 and when we suffered injuries, we pretty much had nobody else to play with and spent the whole thing in the bottom 6. We're kinda getting a taste atm as our midfield depth has disappeared with Longstaff and Willock injured and Joelinton a doubt for Leicester tomorrow.

5 hours ago, thetime said:

Could be a bit interesting if Leicester can get a point tomorrow night. 

If Leicester win at SJP, they'd be out of the bottom 3 and could well beat West Ham on the final day.

It's an interesting one tbf as, like I said, Newcastle's lack of depth in midfield is why I'm happy we're pretty much at the end as our depth is kinda hitting the wall. However, Leicester's goalkeepers and defence have been awful all season long, and Dean Smith has yet to really convince that he was worth sacking Brendan Rodgers for.

Guess tomorrow will give us more answers.