Football 2022/23

charlierc

10 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

Outstanding from Man Utd 2nd half! Was secretly hoping we might get knocked out (possibility of 7 extra games!), but I was still jumping around when we scored the second - any time you beat Barcelona it's a good night. Roll on Sunday!

Some job Ten Hag has done so far. i think hes the real deal.

Rashford apparently went off injured near the end of the Man United v Barcelona tie on Thursday. I don't like hoping someone is injured, but it would make our lives easier if Newcastle don't have to face him given how excellent he has been since the World Cup.

Saying that, they found goals from other sources when he drew a rare blank in that game, so... might be one problem taken away but still have to deal with the others.

22 minutes ago, thetime said:

Do not think there will be many goals in it to be honest, going for a comfy 2-0 win for man utd. 

Yeah I don't think we'll win now unfortunately, I was super confident when they won the semi final but lost most of that confidence since. Think our best chance is an early goal and then shut Man U out.

Rashford is clearly alright just being used as part of these games by ETH.

On 2/25/2023 at 9:16 AM, charlierc said:

Rashford apparently went off injured near the end of the Man United v Barcelona tie on Thursday. I don't like hoping someone is injured, but it would make our lives easier if Newcastle don't have to face him given how excellent he has been since the World Cup.

Saying that, they found goals from other sources when he drew a rare blank in that game, so... might be one problem taken away but still have to deal with the others.

t'll make it easier for newc if man utd give them the trophy, so newc still wouldn't have won a trophy for a century.

Just a few observations from that game:

I miss Solskjaer.

Newcastle have an excellent midfield, but the attack has been carried this season by mid-table quality players hitting a purple patch at the same time. I love the likes of ASM, Miggy, and Wilson, but they're not quite good enough to consistently get through good defences. Not seen enough of Isak when fit to know if he's the real deal or not yet.

Man U still get lots of little edge-case decisions, like stealing yards at throw-ins, soft free kicks, etc. That free kick that led to the first goal was soft as fuck, and apparently I don't understand the offside rule any more.

Karius is crap even when he's not got a concussion.

Given that one of these teams had a bunch of articles written about their shithousery and mastery of dark arts etc. I wouldn't be able to tell you which. (not denying NUFC do them btw, just saying Man U do as well).

I don't think we'll get top 4 off that performance, but Spurs could still Spurs it.

6 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

I miss Solskjaer.

Newcastle have an excellent midfield, but the attack has been carried this season by mid-table quality players hitting a purple patch at the same time. I love the likes of ASM, Miggy, and Wilson, but they're not quite good enough to consistently get through good defences. Not seen enough of Isak when fit to know if he's the real deal or not yet.

Man U still get lots of little edge-case decisions, like stealing yards at throw-ins, soft free kicks, etc. That free kick that led to the first goal was soft as fuck, and apparently I don't understand the offside rule any more.

Given that one of these teams had a bunch of articles written about their shithousery and mastery of dark arts etc. I wouldn't be able to tell you which. (not denying NUFC do them btw, just saying Man U do as well).

I don't think we'll get top 4 off that performance, but Spurs could still Spurs it.

I thought man Utd deserved to win, but they have better players and spent a lot of money to get them, so that’s not a surprise. When I watch Newcastle they generally look solid, but a bit lacking in terms of end product.

12 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

I miss Solskjaer.

The attack has definitely been a problem since the World Cup break. All those draws since then have been the sign of us lacking something in comparison to the team that scored 4 at Fulham, 4 against Villa and 5 v Brentford. Equally, concede 2 soft goals and you give yourself a hard task to overcome that.

I don't think Karius was necessarily the worst part tbh. For me, the defence didn't have a good game - Trippier's set-pieces weren't the best plus Rashford is just bloody good, Schar looked rough after his head injury, Botman had a day of misfortune and Burn has looked in need of a rest for a few games.

Edited by charlierc

2 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I thought man Utd deserved to win, but they have better players and spent a lot of money to get them.

We've done that for 10 years to be honest, it's only now things seem to be looking up after investing properly.

Getting rid of Pogba, lingard and ronaldo been the change as well.