Primavera Sound Barcelona 2023 + Primavera Sound Madrid 2023

Fnmentaluk

52 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

If they manage to bring SZA it can be included in the hip hop (I know that she’s more into R&B).

Billie Eilish and Lana del Rey seem like a big possibility also. 

Are Live Nation just involved in the Americas or with Europe too? Halsey and Maneskin (though they pulled out) were billed at Reading & Leeds in 2022, then played PS 2023. Granted other smaller bands did both as well. Billie Eilish is a headliner this year, so that could carry through.

The Pixies are playing UK / Paris / Amsterdam in March 2024 - Bossanova x Trompe Le Monde. They would fit the older indie band spot.

Isn't it annoying when you see US tours - later on in the year it's Pixies + Modest Mouse + Cat Power as a set.

7 hours ago, scatteredscreens said:

Posted this on the 'cord. Subject to any other bands coming into frame I could see this

6 'headliner names' SZA, PJ Harvey, Lana Del Rey, Pulp, The Cure, some indie band (Postal Service, The National, Bon Iver etc)

PJ Harvey is playing 1000-sized venues on her tour. I love her but headliner?

• Upvote 1

The names we are throwing do not have the huge booking surprise effect of DM or the evergreen appeal of Kendrick (this year we had the GOAT and that’s a fact) 

-lana del Rey, SZA would sell a lot of tickets. Billie ellish too, but so far from her album cycle?

-travis is going to be huge if his album is big, otherwise meh (shifts tickets but not as the first attraction) 

- pulp won’t sell as many tickets as blur 

- NIN are among forum favourites (of course!) but hardly huge ticket sellers nowadays 

- I have the feeling that portishead or mbv with new album announced might be the big draw for alternative music fans (if not them, who next year ?) 

- the cure are massive but I would prefer someone fresher as the big alternative rock act 

Other names mentioned are not relevant as first-liners imo (as much as I love the national, they shouldn’t be headliner if they are there again) 

Edited by Whos3000_

9 hours ago, UsernameHere said:

I've noticed some predictions don't include a hip-hop headliner. The current format always includes a big hip-hop name. E.g. last few have been Kendrick, Tyler, Future (and Nas), ASAP Rocky. 

I'm struggling to look past Travis Scott because he's a new album very soon. He also played in Buenos Aires and Sau Paulo and Primavera have already had all of the current big hip hop names that aren't too big to book. Unless they re-book someone like ASAP Rocky? I reckon Travis is very likely.

Assuming he can leave the USA, then 21 Savage.

With all those 80s synth bands they had this year what about OMD maybe as a Wednesday headliner , Churches could be a nice addition,  on the Coldplay world tour no Idea when they finish that tour, 

If they getting into bed with livenation 

Then don't know if anyone is actually off limits in terms of acts 

28 minutes ago, Ohjesus said:

number of hotels available around the forum venue on booking.com now. maritim is good - £500 for a week!

I've already rebooked the hotel for next year (Social Hub - 10/15 min walk to the festival). Got it for 1200 Euro for 8 nights (monday till tuesday), so around 300 euro cheaper than this year. Happy with that deal, and it's also free cancellation to May 2024.

22 hours ago, emmanuel said:

PJ Harvey is playing 1000-sized venues on her tour. I love her but headliner?

PJ Harvey is a legend and a huge name. She plays those small venues because she chooses too, and that what suits her new music, not because that's her actual size. She headlined in 2016 and was phenomenal, despite playing mostly the new record (Hope Six Demolition... which isn't one of her best), and she didn't feel out of place at all. Seeing her, Sigur Ros (on the other stage) and Brian Wilson back to back remains one of the best Primavera experiences of my life.

21 hours ago, Whos3000_ said:

The names we are throwing do not have the huge booking surprise effect of DM or the evergreen appeal of Kendrick (this year we had the GOAT and that’s a fact) 

-lana del Rey, SZA would sell a lot of tickets. Billie ellish too, but so far from her album cycle?

-travis is going to be huge if his album is big, otherwise meh (shifts tickets but not as the first attraction) 

- pulp won’t sell as many tickets as blur 

- NIN are among forum favourites (of course!) but hardly huge ticket sellers nowadays 

- I have the feeling that portishead or mbv with new album announced might be the big draw for alternative music fans (if not them, who next year ?) 

- the cure are massive but I would prefer someone fresher as the big alternative rock act 

Other names mentioned are not relevant as first-liners imo (as much as I love the national, they shouldn’t be headliner if they are there again) 

Not against you personally but this comment kinda pissed me off lol. It sort of represents everything I hate about what Primavera is becoming.

This is not Coachella 2 and mainstream "ticket sellers" shouldn't be the main focus. Primavera is (was?) heaven for alternative music lovers, and it's a place where bands like Pavement, Ride, The Replacements, Slowdive, PJ Harvey etc can play huge slots to crowds that appreciate them as indie legends. 

A Primavera where Travis Scott is a welcome headliner but Pulp and PJ Harvey aren't "big enough" to be headliners is a festival that completely lost what made it special in the first place. Maybe it's inevitable and I'm naive and all, but seriously hope that's not where it's going.

Edited by yaniv297
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, yaniv297 said:

PJ Harvey is a legend and a huge name. She plays those small venues because she chooses too, and that what suits her new music, not because that's her actual size. She headlined in 2016 and was phenomenal, despite playing mostly the new record (Hope Six Demolition... which isn't one of her best), and she didn't feel out of place at all. Seeing her, Sigur Ros (on the other stage) and Brian Wilson back to back remains one of the best Primavera experiences of my life.

Not against you personally but this comment kinda pissed me off lol. It sort of represents everything I hate about what Primavera is becoming.

This is not Coachella 2 and mainstream "ticket sellers" shouldn't be the main focus. Primavera is (was?) heaven for alternative music lovers, and it's a place where bands like Pavement, Ride, The Replacements, Slowdive, PJ Harvey etc can play huge slots to crowds that appreciate them as indie legends. 

A Primavera where Travis Scott is a welcome headliner but Pulp and PJ Harvey aren't "big enough" to be headliners is a festival that completely lost what made it special in the first place. Maybe it's inevitable and I'm naive and all, but seriously hope that's not where it's going.

on your last point the way I see it is the festival will book a 'ticket shifter' and then also book your r/indieheads / pitchfork core headliners as well.

12 minutes ago, yaniv297 said:

You made me tear up a bit! A packed and enthusiastic festival crowd for relatively obscure indie bands is the exception not the rule. And the warmth shown towards the performers in the auditori is a credit to the Barcelona crowd. 

14 minutes ago, yaniv297 said:

These days they book both. Also to be fair even the more mainstream acts they book are often critically acclaimed and on the unique side. People here will sh*t on Travis Scott if he's announced and I get that he won't be most of this group's cup of tea but his last solo album was very well received by both critics and the hip-hop community. He's mainstream but it's not like he's Drake. 

On Astroworld he worked with a lot of producers/contributors who would be well respected by fans of this festival I'd guess (Kevin Parker, Thundercat, Mike Dean, Frank Ocean, James Blake etc.). Doesn't mean you have to like it but it's not like no effort goes into his music.

The likes of Calvin Harris is a different story imo and I won't even speak about Halsey because I never even heard of her before this years festival.

7 minutes ago, xxialac said:

You made me tear up a bit! A packed and enthusiastic festival crowd for relatively obscure indie bands is the exception not the rule. And the warmth shown towards the performers in the auditori is a credit to the Barcelona crowd. 

I don't know, have you seen the Pavement crowd last year? They're an obscure indie cult band with absolutely 0 major hits and they were treated like stars. Many people booked tickets just to see them... wouldn't get that in other festivals.

21 minutes ago, yaniv297 said:

I don't know, have you seen the Pavement crowd last year? They're an obscure indie cult band with absolutely 0 major hits and they were treated like stars. Many people booked tickets just to see them... wouldn't get that in other festivals.

I know, I was agreeing with you in every way (and I was there!).

1 hour ago, yaniv297 said:

it's just facts. As much as I would like to have a portishead-nin-mbv-pulp edition, that is not what is going to happen. As others said, the festival still manages to get the best of both worlds. Obscure must-see bands are still on the festival line up, they are just not in capital letters anymore, because those spots are taken by more popular (but still critically acclaimed, crossing over between different type of music fans) acts. 
As for travis scott: if the album is well received (he's planning his comeback after the astro-disaster carefully, I guess) he's going to be a first-class big-size rap headliner, otherwise just more of the same. The festival will try to balance successfully commercial but fresh acts (i.e. Rosalia) with obscure legends (i.e. Unwound) as always. Why bother with commercial headliners then? Because if they get them right (i.e. Rosalia, Depeche mode) it's a huge added value on top of what I would normally pay to see in standalone shows

I think PJ Harvey will be a headliner if they have 3 headliners a day but not if they have 2.

But in the end who on here cares who is and who isn't a headliner. As long as there is someone worth seeing across the 10 odd stages.  And on that front, Primavera has a near perfect track record and sure that 2024 will be no different.

I would love a portishead-sigur ros-mbv-pulp-pj harvey-pavement edition or even better teleport to the 1990s, but I don't think it is going to happen! I could be wrong, but I'm not sure PJ Harvey has got many new and younger fans in the seven years since her last your. I perfectly agree she is a legend. I'm a big fan and if she is doing a full set that would be a big plus for me. But after 25 years of going to shows I've kind of accepted now that legends are usually a sub below a fairly insignificant band... or they play their own shows.

11 minutes ago, emmanuel said:

I would love a portishead-sigur ros-mbv-pulp-pj harvey-pavement edition or even better teleport to the 1990s, but I don't think it is going to happen! I could be wrong, but I'm not sure PJ Harvey has got many new and younger fans in the seven years since her last your. I perfectly agree she is a legend. I'm a big fan and if she is doing a full set that would be a big plus for me. But after 25 years of going to shows I've kind of accepted now that legends are usually a sub below a fairly insignificant band... or they play their own shows.

You know there were 8 headliners this year and 50% of them were "legends" whose peak was fully 30/40 years ago. Could make same statement that as such not likely to be accruing younger fans either...!