Primavera Sound Barcelona 2023 + Primavera Sound Madrid 2023

Fnmentaluk

2 hours ago, jannybruck said:

They generally didn't in the past unless they were a friend of the festival, but after the pandemic artists are extending touring cycles much longer – a lot of the ones already announced for festivals next year are on their second year of touring and their profile has raised significantly since last summer. So I'm almost certain there'll be a couple of repeats.

And don't forget last year's line-up was kind of rara avis, since many of the artists were booked (and supposed) to play in 2020 and 2021, and finally played in 2022. Weyes Blood for example, was supposed to presents her Titanic Rising album in 2020, finally did it in 2022, but this year has a new album to tour with. It wouldn't be weird for a band to play in 2020 and again in 2023, and given last year there were two weekends (with twice the quantity of acts), this year may have more repetitions than previous editions.

There usually are also other cases where the festival approaches a group/artist in their early steps, and then they take off and their hype increases and book them again for the next year, like Little Simz who played in 2019 and was rebooked for 2020 (and Disclosure in 2013-2014), and I think this could be the case for Fred Again...

And Finally, there are bands who finally couldn't manage to play in 2022 as Japanese Breakfast, Clairo, Turnstile, Bikini Kill (and Porridge Radio who played solo but promised a proper show with the whole band)

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Whos3000_ said:

We should also consider that if no one is getting arcade fire… we are those who will get them (unfortunately)

https://pitchfork.com/news/fifth-person-details-arcade-fire-frontman-win-butlers-allegedly-manipulative-toxic-behavior/

More complaints about Butler. They're way too toxic to be booked this year

6 minutes ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

Mad that festivals even booked them with allegations continuing to come out. Its one thing just ignoring past (well like 3 months ago) ones, but ongoing ..?

I swear it doesn’t usually happen like this.

35 minutes ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

Headliners will surely have been booked before the allegations came out.

Maybe from a legal standpoint, they can't get out of the contracts? 

11 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I'd be surprised if this type of allegation would not fall squarely within one of the force majeure (or similar) exceptions..

4 minutes ago, Etaish said:

I'd be surprised if this type of allegation would not fall squarely within one of the force majeure (or similar) exceptions..

Yes. Or alternatively perhaps as no one is pressing charges and there's no criminal case pending, in theory they could could bring a legal case against the festival cancelling their contract and would win - but wouldn't do this in practice as the publicity generated would be so damaging. 

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Mad that festivals even booked them with allegations continuing to come out. Its one thing just ignoring past (well like 3 months ago) ones, but ongoing ..?

I swear it doesn’t usually happen like this.

The ugly truth is, most people don't really give a fuck. Even for an act like Arcade Fire, whose fan base is relatively aware of such issues, only a small proportion of fans will actually boycott them. 

On another note: The Cardigans have just been announced for pipfest Oso, June 15th - 17th. Would love to have them

Edited by Quadrophobia

5 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

THe ugly truth is, most people don't really give a fuck. Even for an act like Arcade Fire, whose fan base is relatively aware of such issues, onlya small proportion of fans will actually boycott them. 

On another note: The Cardigans have just been announced for pipfest Oso, June 15th - 17th. Would love to have them

Suspect I'll be shot down for saying this but aren't the Cardigans a bit...beige... for this? Sure they never would have been booked in their heyday.

42 minutes ago, xxialac said:

A festival that costantly waves the 'new normal' flag and fights sexual misconducts can't have them on right now. Even if they can't untie the contract (which i dont think is the case), I believe they'll take the financial blow and cancel them

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

The ugly truth is, most people don't really give a fuck. Even for an act like Arcade Fire, whose fan base is relatively aware of such issues, only a small proportion of fans will actually boycott them. 

Fair enough, i do agree

11 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Suspect I'll be shot down for saying this but aren't the Cardigans a bit...beige... for this? Sure they never would have been booked in their heyday.

Have a great back catalogue and tons of catchy tunes. Reckon a lot of people won’t be excited by them but will be nicely surprised when they see them.

Theyd be on my must see list if they were playing 

6 minutes ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

A festival that costantly waves the 'new normal' flag and fights sexual misconducts can't have them on right now. Even if they can't untie the contract (which i dont think is the case), I believe they'll take the financial blow and cancel them

Yeah, I do believe Primavera would not go ahead and confirm them, but I also don't think they would've booked them for this edition anyways. Arcade Fire have become less and less relevant and are nevertheless very expensive. There is much more promising names for PS.

Saw arcade fire a couple of weeks ago and they were pretty poor compared to other times. Dunno if it was because the new album is not great or what.

The other interesting thing about that gig was the amount of free tickets floating around outside the gig. They seem to have lost their shine a bit, whether that’s down to the accusations or they’re a bit jaded I don’t know

11 minutes ago, damo101 said:

Saw arcade fire a couple of weeks ago and they were pretty poor compared to other times. Dunno if it was because the new album is not great or what.

The other interesting thing about that gig was the amount of free tickets floating around outside the gig. They seem to have lost their shine a bit, whether that’s down to the accusations or they’re a bit jaded I don’t know

I guess its a mix of both. Additionally it rightly pissed many people off that they didn't offer refunds although with Feist dropping out, the shows lost a lot of value, being heavily overpriced already. They had such a great legacy and Win Butler has been destroying that with more and more stupid and indefensible actions, from wildly overestimating their relevance to being an outright asshole

Edited by Quadrophobia
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

Yeah, I do believe Primavera would not go ahead and confirm them, but I also don't think they would've booked them for this edition anyways. Arcade Fire have become less and less relevant and are nevertheless very expensive. There is much more promising names for PS.

Not defending the underlying actions but I felt the new album was received by the critics and public alike as a "return to form" after the abominable Everything Now.

And they haven't suddenly become a poor live act. If you liked them before, they're no different now.

Agree that Primavera won't book them.

1 hour ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

There's zero misconduct in here. Wouldn't be surprised if this hitpiece actually works in Arcade Fire's favor.

3 minutes ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

There's zero misconduct in here. Wouldn't be surprised if this hitpiece actually works in Arcade Fire's favor.

sending unsolicited nudes despite someone telling you that they're not interested is certainly sexual misconduct and is disgusting

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

sending unsolicited nudes despite someone telling you that they're not interested is certainly sexual misconduct and is disgusting

You must be thinking of an earlier allegation. This new article talks about sexting in an established sexual relationship. 

5 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

It's at the bottom of the article linked that you replied to. You clearly didn't read the article.

Yes i did. This "Sabina" becomes interested in Butler after she discovers he's famous, cheats on her boyfriend in the process, and then complains about not being happy. This is just relationship drama. 

Edited by SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3