Glastonbury themed wedding/party

august1

We had our table names named after Glastonbury stages (had great fun trying to choose) and we were not far away down in Somerset so seemed rather fitting! Wellys were the main thing we weaved throughout everything we did to tie it to Glastonbury without being overbearing. We also got some Glastonbury items which were some amazing candleholders hand produced by a crafts person my wife had found at Glasto, tote bags as a favour and wristbands again as a favour.

Edit:

If you want any of the suppliers particularly the candleholders they were amazing let me know and I'll dig them out. The tote bags were a bit of a pain ordering wise and spent ages shopping around and it ended up being cheaper overall getting quite a few extra on a deal rather than buying under 100.. so got my own wedding tote bags for life now!

Edited by Ashl
Suppliers note

18 minutes ago, Ashl said:

We had our table names named after Glastonbury stages (had great fun trying to choose) and we were not far away down in Somerset so seemed rather fitting! Wellys were the main thing we weaved throughout everything we did to tie it to Glastonbury without being overbearing. We also got some Glastonbury items which were some amazing candleholders hand produced by a crafts person my wife had found at Glasto, tote bags as a favour and wristbands again as a favour.

Edit:

If you want any of the suppliers particularly the candleholders they were amazing let me know and I'll dig them out. The tote bags were a bit of a pain ordering wise and spent ages shopping around and it ended up being cheaper overall getting quite a few extra on a deal rather than buying under 100.. so got my own wedding tote bags for life now!

I think we're planning on having an outdoor early evening with a band, poet/comic and outdoor games, then inside later on for a disco.

So I was thinking running order sign, Glastonbury font pointing to different areas.

I love the tote bag idea, what did you write on it? 😂

PM me any suppliers if you can find them.

We had a diy festival themed wedding, which although was a mega faff organising (safely say I never want to get married ever again), turned out really well. Things like stage names for tables, the wed fest portrait area for guests to take silly pictures of themselves, Pyramid themed cake and a few other bits.

My big idea that I intended to save a few quid on & thought was kinda quirky, was instead of having a band, I put together a large video of live performances from Glasto & other places of all our favourite artists etc, and because we had a marquee wedding, I used a projector to project the film onto one side of the marquee pitched roof above the dance floor. Everything about this cunning plan was set to work just fine, if it wasn’t for the fact I’d mis-judged how light the evenings would be at the end of May, so basically, until it went dark you could hardly see the first half! Sounded great though. The second half after the evening food interval when it was dark did however go to plan.

4 weeks after the wedding though, we were at our favourite place for our official honeymoon 🥰

C82DCF10-FA20-4454-8D8D-4D8454ACAF81.thumb.jpeg.193ecc118c6a6ced17bd484b7c3a5768.jpeg

C16CBB1C-AD3A-4033-B604-02B5739548DC.thumb.jpeg.6d615963dcc76804e9db2c17f044a5df.jpeg

B4761AC4-11BB-4D93-A4A1-FB525D90D81B.thumb.jpeg.c9bca3ff09235ccd82028733ae651f76.jpeg

211EA643-8E2A-4163-A8E3-1D2A56047957.thumb.jpeg.074f560f96a356a0bcf70860f82e27e4.jpeg

ADF6849D-5BCC-4F6B-8B95-4CA783C3790B.thumb.jpeg.76d58aeee9980bfd8ef6403b0cc87880.jpeg

BF390494-26B3-4568-9E41-B9CEAB84FA57.thumb.jpeg.8b52f99613a8f681a08ad69166095ef6.jpeg

85F2E1F5-8215-403A-8C31-181F3BCE3FF7.thumb.jpeg.69dfa8c1840efab576d4ea9fedfb51e8.jpeg

• Like 2

Our wedding was festival vibed if not themed.  We found a venue which would allow camping and campervans on site, which not everyone took advantage of but we had about half a dozen campers and half a dozen tents.  There were also glamping pods and cottages on site, and hotels close by, so the guests could choose what suited them best.

it had a small stone circle for an outdoor ceremony (humanist).  We had it for the whole weekend (recommended if you want that festival vibe else it just flies by) so had the registrar ceremony the following day.

we had wristbands made up for the guests.    Some arrived on the Friday night and we had a pub quiz.  The Saturday we had our ceremony at the stone circle (surrounded by straw bales) followed, and were lucky enough to get New York Brass Band to play the reception drinks and just after lunch.  Lunch was a hog roast.

In the afternoon we did our own little DJ set, with garden games (which is a good shout).  Really though the children were more interested in building a fort with the hay bales and making a mess.  luckily the venue were very easy going about that!

Then we had a great band from the north east (Last Anthem) do our evening entertainment and had a buffet. Topped off with a firework display.

the Sunday the registrar came into the living room of the cottage we were staying in to finalise everything to a much smaller crowd (humanist ceremonies are still not legally recognised in England, but are in Scotland and I think NI).  People left in a trickle from the Saturday night through to Sunday lunch time, much like a festival!

I can honestly say it was the best day/weekend of my life, and I hope the same can be said for my wife 🙂

I guess some tips:

- we had glorious weather but have a backup plan and try not to be disappointed if things don’t go perfectly.

- give yourself time to take it in.

- wind can make outdoor speeches/vows difficult to hear.  We were mic’d up with wireless levallier mics.

-spend money on what is really important to you - we had relatively cheap food so we could have NYBB.  On a similar note try not to worry if your guests will/are enjoying it, it’s your day!

- source cheap blankets if you’re expecting people to be outside a lot or if you’re using straw bales to protect their bums.  We got a bunch from ikea at about 75p a pop then donated them to various places.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
8 minutes ago, Franky said:

I'm sure a few years ago there was a chapel at Glastonbury doing real weddings? 

Maybe I was just very out of it at the time lol 

There was a Church as part of Lost Vagueness that did "weddings", however,

Weddings at Glastonbury

Unfortunately, as the law stands, it is not possible to have a legal marriage at the Festival. The Festival is not a licensed venue. So, until the law changes, that legally binding wedding under your favourite tree will have to wait.

However, if you would like to add a little Glastonbury flavour to your wedding, the Pilton Tithe Barn is available to hire for wedding receptions. Click here for info.

We repurposed old records for our table plan. Each table represented a gig the wife and I had been to, with the table centrepiece being a framed ticket from the gig plus some memories of the gig.

for the records we just got crappy ones from the charity shop and printed our own stickers!

D323FDBD-5D36-48B9-9E75-84DC91D74E86.jpeg

A3BB3575-71D2-4342-ADD5-9F0F38266361.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Franky said:

I'm sure a few years ago there was a chapel at Glastonbury doing real weddings? 

Maybe I was just very out of it at the time lol 

Chapel went years ago 

But you can jump the broomstick in the green fields.. We did it a few years ago and was great. 

1 minute ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Our Wedding band (consisting of a rotating lineup of pals) was called ‘Wed Zeppelin’😂

Curiously the lead singer went on to form an actual festival themed wedding band called ‘Dirty Weekend’.

https://www.dirtyweekendband.co.uk

Sets are based on different festivals/vibes.

3 hours ago, JackMullen said:

Think about using colorful bunting, fairy lights, and wildflowers to create a whimsical atmosphere. You could also incorporate some music by creating a playlist of bands that have performed at Glastonbury in the past. You can also check out Bachelor Party Insider bachelorpartyinsider.com, as they have some articles on festival-themed weddings and parties. As for other tips, I think incorporating some of the classic Glastonbury elements would be a great way to give the nod to the festival without going overboard.

That 'top joining in'.

Part of me wants to click on that link, and part of me doesn't. That's all I will say - for now, at least.