2023 legend slot

ProperTea

5 hours ago, Jose Pose said:

Wouldn’t be disappointed with DD but would be elsewhere, the legend slot can be great, but it’s also a right ball-ache with how busy it is and takes a chunk out of your Sunday if you want a half decent spot.

DD just don’t quite cut it for me in the legendary stakes, so would happily be elsewhere if it’s them.

Fully agree with this - they'd be a very strong fit for the slot and I'd totally get the booking, but they just ain't for me

1 minute ago, waltere said:

Fully agree with this - they'd be a very strong fit for the slot and I'd totally get the booking, but they just ain't for me

i would think that if dd are being booked it would be for a better slot than mid-afternoon, sunday.

Just now, Muppetmark said:

Depends on the act.  A lot of acts will still turn their nose down to the legends slot because its in the daytime and would rather headline other

I get that if it’s specific to their show and the dark works better, but if we’re talking what’s best for their exposure and their career, then that would be a daft choice wouldn’t it? 

Some of the ones suggested in the last few pages could be ruled out if we are to believe the info that the legend slot booking will wind up the locals (or whatever the wording was). Of course it depends how much weighting we give that comment, who knows.

I still think they haven't officially booked anyone yet.

Just now, DareToDibble said:

Some of the ones suggested in the last few pages could be ruled out if we are to believe the info that the legend slot booking will wind up the locals (or whatever the wording was). Of course it depends how much weighting we give that comment, who knows.

I still think they haven't officially booked anyone yet.

...Iggy Pop? Ozzy? Both touring near the festival, both undeniable legends.

Not saying it is either of those mind, I'm just struggling to think what "legend" might fit that description if that is indeed true!

4 minutes ago, FrancisH said:

Not saying it is either of those mind, I'm just struggling to think what "legend" might fit that description if that is indeed true!

Don't focus on the word legend imho.

In this context it applies to easy, non abrasive popular favourites with a strong pull of nostalgia, sung by someone with oodles of charisma and showbiz pizzazz.

If "LEGEND" and the top of the poster next to the headliners isn't good enough for an artist then balls to them, frankly. How up yourself to do you have to be to say "legendary status at the world's most famous festival isn't good enough"? 

13 minutes ago, FrancisH said:

Ozzy can barely stand up, be a miracle if his tour goes ahead sadly.

Edited by BenG92

Just now, BenG92 said:

If "LEGEND" and the top of the poster next to the headliners isn't good enough for an artist then balls to them, frankly. How up yourself to do you have to be to say "legendary status at the world's most famous festival isn't good enough"? 

Its probably the association with MOR camp and (not that I'm a fan of the word) 'cheese' that might put acts off.  They have to be comfortable with their own status as no longer on the cutting edge.

That aside, if you look at the previous incumbents then it's a huge honour to be considered for it.

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

That aside, if you look at the previous incumbents then it's a huge honour to be considered for it.

Yeah indeed, I get the cheese angle to a point, but Paul Simon? ELO? The Kinks, James Brown etc. I'd be pretty chuffed as an artist to be ranked up there. 

24 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Don't focus on the word legend imho.

In this context it applies to easy, non abrasive popular favourites with a strong pull of nostalgia, sung by someone with oodles of charisma and showbiz pizzazz.

Oh absolutely agree yeah, was just responding to point that there was a rumour it might "wind up the locals" so was trying to think of people who don't necessarily have those qualities! Imagining the Sunday locals crew when the opening riff kicks in for I wanna be your dog.

Edited by FrancisH

6 minutes ago, FrancisH said:

Oh absolutely agree yeah, was just responding to point that there was a rumour it might "wind up the locals" so was trying to think of people who don't necessarily have those qualities! Imagining the Sunday locals crew when the opening riff kicks in for I wanna be your dog.

That was The Spice Girls In the end. 

1 hour ago, BenG92 said:

Yeah indeed, I get the cheese angle to a point, but Paul Simon? ELO? The Kinks, James Brown etc. I'd be pretty chuffed as an artist to be ranked up there. 

Paul Simon and ELO didn't work very well in the slot and Ray Davies didn't have a huge crowd due to the football.  

I've seen Pulp's name thrown around for the slot, and I really don't see it myself.

From the festival's perspective, I think the "Teatime Legend" billing provides an opportunity to book an act who might otherwise be challenging to find a place for on the lineup. This clearly isn't the case for Pulp - they could sub, headline Other, or even headline Pyramid if there was a last-minute dropout.

Also, as legendary as previous bookings have been, they were all considered 'past it' to various extents. I know Pulp haven't released an album for two decades but I think we need to be further removed from their heyday before they'd be considered.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, dreams_burn_down said:

I've seen Pulp's name thrown around for the slot, and I really don't see it myself.

From the festival's perspective, I think the "Teatime Legend" billing provides an opportunity to book an act who might otherwise be challenging to find a place for on the lineup. This clearly isn't the case for Pulp - they could sub, headline Other, or even headline Pyramid if there was a last-minute dropout.

Also, as legendary as previous bookings have been, they were all considered 'past it' to various extents. I know Pulp haven't released an album for two decades but I think we need to be further removed from their heyday before they'd be considered.

For me one of the intangible factors about that slot is that they are taken by acts who realistically couldn't play anywhere else at the festival.

Pulp don't fall into this category for me, they could easily be subbing.