Alcohol and see Coaches

AlexOvd

Hello! 

We got coach tickets for Glasto 22 but I have couple of questions regarding alcohol. 

We are a group of 4 people and we would like to bring some beers into the site but I've heard the see coaches are quite strict about that. We have no interest on bringing them with us, the idea is bring them in the luggage down (we won't have any trolley). 

What's the best way to carry let's say three packs like the example in the picture? Any tips? Can you just bring the full packs of beers and leave it down? 

I guess you can also take on board with you couple of tesco bags with food/snacks right? 

And what about the Glastonbury plastic free policy? Can you bring alcohol in plastic bottles? (like Vodka etc). Or the plastic policy I'd regarding glasses and stuff you can get in and there is no restrictions to plastic items in? 

Thanks 😃

a2ed2e0d-abfb-4dcb-9814-1f4b47e675fe (1).jpeg

Edited by AlexOvd

2 hours ago, AlexOvd said:

And what about the Glastonbury plastic free policy? Can you bring alcohol in plastic bottles? (like Vodka etc). Or the plastic policy I'd regarding glasses and stuff you can get in and there is no restrictions to plastic items in? 

Can't help you on the coach front, but I do know that, at least as of 2019, the single use plastics ban only applied to sales on site and not anything brought in by punters.

There is a no glass policy, so all drinks must be put in plastic bottles.

As waltere says, the ban on single use plastic is for sales inside the festival only. You Can bring in with you what plastic containers you like.

Never been on the coach, so can't help on that front. just chance your arm I say...

What the coaches are trying to avoid is overloading the cargo hold so everyone can get their stuff on board. I always packed my modest stash in my backpack which went in to the cargo hold. A trolley loaded up to the hilt with booze is unlikely to get on but a few packs like you suggest should be fine. Anything you can carry on to your seat should be ok. As with all things of this nature, the general rule of thumb is not to take the piss and inconvenience your fellow travellers.

As above, the driver will prioritise people's actual baggage and tents etc. If you have a backpack full of beer they'll never know. However, if you have a trolly full of exposed beer, they will likely leave that til the end to load if there's enough room. 

3 packs like you show is not excessive so I shouldn't worry about it. You get some folk that attempt to take about ten 24 packs with them on the coach!

2 hours ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

As above, the driver will prioritise people's actual baggage and tents etc. If you have a backpack full of beer they'll never know. However, if you have a trolly full of exposed beer, they will likely leave that til the end to load if there's enough room. 

3 packs like you show is not excessive so I shouldn't worry about it. You get some folk that attempt to take about ten 24 packs with them on the coach!

I did the coach in 2015 and I'm doing so again this year, it completely stunned me the amount of crap people were trying to bring with them given the limitations already in place.  

One group got told they had too much stuff and had to leave some alcohol and a couple of camping chairs behind as the coach was already full (and probably overloaded) as it is, and they had already exceeded their quota of bags and luggage etc.

1 hour ago, balti-pie said:

Carling is pretty much always the cans that people are handing out to their neighbours for free on sunday morning, cos its warm/horrible/dont want to carry it home . . . 

I was not referring to Carling in particular, the picture was just an example 🙂

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, AlexOvd said:

I was not referring to Carling in particular, the picture was just an example 🙂

Its always so cheap though, its tempting, even for me as an avowed beer snob! 

watching my mate attempting to hand out warm strongbows pretty much all sunday in 2014 at his first glastonbury always tickles me - we told him he can bring in whatever he fancies to the festival as long as it wasnt in glass, and he surmised that five days equals five boxes of strongbow, so 120 cans in total. easy. 

first day 24 cans flies down his face, second and third day is a minor struggle but he manages, fourth day pretty much no chance of keeping to schedule, so sunday he has at least forty cans and nobody wants warm manky strongbow on the fifth day of a festival, not even for free . . . 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve had a few see coach trips into Glastonbury…and I think it’s fair to say that it’s been luck of the draw if you get a strict driver.

On our first trip in (from Lincoln) the coach arrived an hour late, driver didn’t give a hoot what people brought on and many ended up having to sit with their bags in the coach - as ppl packed the hold with trolleys, massive tents. 

As for alcohol, many were drinking on the coach (not a great idea for them in hindsight for an 8hr trip). I saw no restrictions on anything.

More recently have travelled from Bristol where both See and the customers have all been much more respectful and well organized. Most booze I saw taken on went in the hold - but I haven’t ever seen anyone ever have an item refused.