Download 2023

2 minutes ago, jump said:

Hellfest only bumped up Ghost and Gojira as last minute replacements for Faith No More and Avenged Sevenfold though. Whilst they have smashed it this year their line ups aren't normally that strong, this was their last fest line up. Download would be fucking laughed at for putting Manowar as a headliner.

1543251560.webp

Tbh all you have to do if switch Monowar with Gojira and that would probably be better than most download line ups imo. 

Just as a total side note, it’s so refreshing to be coming back on these forums as actual festival season is starting to unfold again.

New discussions of who might be touring in 2023 after two years of people having the same chat about the same bands is amazing to see

Just now, BenG92 said:

And Faith No More wouldn't be Download mainstage headliners these days either. 

In fact I'm actually banking on them headlining 2nd in '23. One of the biggest losses on our festival calendar this year.

It's a crying shame tbh, the mainland do seem to have their priorities in order when it comes to festival bookings. 

Faith No More are great. 

1 minute ago, NoBuses said:

Been said the headliners are very strong.

Metallica / Slipknot / Rage/  Bring Me? 

I could see that with Rob Zombie on 2nd stage up against BMTH. I know alot on here like them but no denying they are a divisise band so someone like Rob Zombie would be great up against them. 

16 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

Tbh I'm a firm believer that Gojira and Ghost should get the bump before BMTH, Hellfest seems to the most successful alternative festival atm and download should look to follow. 

The sad truth is Gojira aren't big enough to headline Download. I love them but I can see why they haven't headlined when you compare the size of venues they play in the UK vs someone like BMTH. At the end of the day Download is a business and the headliners are meant to be the biggest ticket sellers so if they're not playing some of the biggest venues in the UK then Download won't take a chance on them. 

BMTH or Ghost will definitley be the next new headliners as they both do full arena tours. 

My pool: Metallica, RATM, SOAD, Slipknot, Rammstein, NIN, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Muse, MCR.

Give me 3 of those across the 4 days and I'm probably there. Many legacy acts I just don't care about and it's a bit of a crapshoot.

3 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

I could see that with Rob Zombie on 2nd stage up against BMTH. I know alot on here like them but no denying they are a divisise band so someone like Rob Zombie would be great up against them. 

IMO Rob is still a bit too weird as an alternative booking, put Judas Priest opposite BMTH.

Edited by BenG92
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

My pool: Metallica, RATM, SOAD, Slipknot, Rammstein, NIN, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Muse, MCR.

Give me 3 of those across the 4 days and I'm probably there. Many legacy acts I just don't care about and it's a bit of a crapshoot.

IMO Rob is still a bit too weird as an alternative booking, put Judas Priest opposite BMTH.

I don't get that, he's done it several times before? 

Just now, Spiral_Low said:

I don't get that, he's done it several times before? 

I mean as an alternative to BMTH. In 2019 he was against Def Leppard so the non-fossil crowd had somewhere else to be - that said, we were having a party at Me First instead 😅

1 hour ago, strudd3rs said:

IMO the Thursday lineup has to be huge/the strongest of the 4 days to offeset the cost of extending the liscence and all the extra costs that come with having an extra day to offset that extra cost.

I wouldn't be surprised if Thursday was the weakest to offset costs. Doesn't necessarily mean a weaker headliner but I can see them doing something like only having one or two stages on that day.

47 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

Tbh I'm a firm believer that Gojira and Ghost should get the bump before BMTH, Hellfest seems to the most successful alternative festival atm and download should look to follow. 

But BMTH are a bigger band in this country than either of those?

15 minutes ago, foolee said:

I think it’ll be what a few others have said in BMTH, Slipknot, Metallica & RATM. I suppose there could be outside chances of Avenged and Ghost too. 

I'd be happy if SOAD did their own gig. Maybe no new music again would be overkill 

7 minutes ago, justanothername said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Thursday was the weakest to offset costs. Doesn't necessarily mean a weaker headliner but I can see them doing something like only having one or two stages on that day.

But BMTH are a bigger band in this country than either of those?

I wonder if Metallica might do the Thursday as a big 4 or something. 

Edited by thewayiam

4 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

There's no step up headliner in the waiting more qualified than Bring Me The Horizon. 

But I've never seen a Bring Me patch on any denim cut off vest when I go to a gig. All the patches I see are W.A.S.P. and Lynyrd Skynyrd so they should headline!!!

2 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I wonder if Metallica might do the Thursday as a big 4 or something. 

Slayer have retired so a Big 4 show is not possible anymore.

7 minutes ago, jump said:

Slayer have retired so a Big 4 show is not possible anymore.

They have retired from touring but maybe a one off show would be on the cards but I very much doubt it, probably less than 1% chance but weirder things have happened. 

Black Sabbath retired a few times and even did two last tours that both came to download. 

Edited by Xeph1995

37 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

I mean as an alternative to BMTH. In 2019 he was against Def Leppard so the non-fossil crowd had somewhere else to be - that said, we were having a party at Me First instead 😅

He's also done it against Linkin Park.

36 minutes ago, jump said:

He's talking about putting an act for the double denim dinosaurs who go to Donwload to see Saxon and KISS that view 90s music as young people's music still.

They might turn out in numbers for the big old school headliners but Download's biggest demographic is probably 25-49, and Rob Zombie is big among that age group whereas BMTH is as I said quite divisive. 

7 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

They have retired touring but maybe a low chance of a one off show, but I very much doubt it, probably less than 1% chance but weirder things have happened. 

It's only been 2 years, give them a chance to be broken up before the reunion for fuck sake.

It's not happening any time soon if it ever will. King hasn't even got his new band officially going yet.

4 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

He's also done it against Linkin Park.

They might turn out in numbers for the big old school headliners but Download's biggest demographic is probably 25-49, and Rob Zombie is big among that age group whereas BMTH is as I said quite divisive. 

Sure, doesn't mean it's necessarily a good idea. Generally from what I can tell Download seems to have one day a year where the oldest members of the crowd have to either watch someone out of their wheelhouse or just call it a day before the headliners.

Anyway Rob's not a terrible shout but BMTH probably aren't gonna go down well with them at all in a way that even Linkin Park might have, would make sense to put a real old band on opposite. 

11 minutes ago, justanothername said:

How do I delete this ^ 

Anyway, QOTSA would be a good alternative 2nd stage headliner if they are going to insist on BMTH. 

Don't think theres much crossover there at all and Queens are "classic" enough for the older crowd while quite popular with people 20/30.

Not done download since 2013.

Edited by Xeph1995