news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Just now, Ozanne said:

But John McD has already said he doesn’t think KS should resign, so what should he do?

Raynor is staying Dep Leader so will remain in the Shadow Cabinet, she’ll be offered another role so I don’t think this is as bad as it might seem. 

yeah, well this is twitterland where anything like this can blow up very quickly. If she is being moved then announce it...before it's out there that she is being sacked. More poor management.

14 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

He’s an insecure control freak lashing out at anybody who threatens him.

Both Owen Jones and times chief political correspondent tweeting rumours that Nandy also in line for demotion or sacking..

Drama!!

flippin'ec...you're right. It's all going to blow up now.

Why all this now...there is no need to rush this shit. Starmer just looks like he's panicing. The elections were bad...but look at bigger picture...vaccine bounce, brexit etc etc. Thing is, if Starmer goes...and maybe he should...who replaces him? Someone from the left? Someone from the centre? Labour are fucked.

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, well this is twitterland where anything like this can blow up very quickly. If she is being moved then announce it...before it's out there that she is being sacked. More poor management.

For sure it’s bad management and communication, let’s see what happens either way Raynor should stay in the leadership team/shadow cabinet. 

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

Why all this now...there is no need to rush this shit. Starmer just looks like he's panicing. The elections were bad...but look at bigger picture...vaccine bounce, brexit etc etc. Thing is, if Starmer goes...and maybe he should...who replaces him? Someone from the left? Someone from the centre? Labour are fucked.

Angie Rayner herself could run, as might cheeky Nandos again. I guess one or two of the right wing ghouls would, Wes Streeting and/or Rachel Reeves. I’d hope that the left would put forward somebody decent, I’ve said before I like Dan Carden. But I’m not sure there are so many members on the left still around so suspect the fash one would win. So maybe Reeves. Then I really think it’d spell the end for the party.

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Why’s that? I think he seems brilliant. 

Yeah, he's good, passionate, articulate...but the left don't particularly like him, he was an uber remainer, and he gets a hec of a lot of shit on social media...mainly accusations of being woke...and it seems for being black. Would they like him in Hartlepool?

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I like him...but too many people really don't like him.

Yes he might do alright in a leadership contest but he’d make a poor choice for leader if the aim is to win back the north - militant remainer and far too London for the red wall.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah, he's good, passionate, articulate...but the left don't particularly like him, he was an uber remainer, and he gets a hec of a lot of shit on social media...mainly accusations of being woke...and it seems for being black. Would they like him in Hartlepool?

I love his speeches he’s given in Parliament and when I’ve seen him on LBC he can express himself in an argument extremely well. I’m not sure about the concerns you raise but he would be near top of my list. 

17 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Honestly, I'm much more to the left of her and not a fan in her politics, but I think Lisa Nandy would be a way better leader

17 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Jenny Chapman again. 

The irony being jenny Chapman is the one who should have been fired and has been the mastermind behind some awful decisions

1 minute ago, Mr.Tease said:

Honestly, I'm much more to the left of her and not a fan in her politics, but I think Lisa Nandy would be a way better leader

yeah...maybe.

It's very easy to say such and such person should be leader...but labour is so divided and ideological that they normally end up upsetting a good chunk of the party. 

It's like Burnham. I remember when he was just another Blairite then Brownite labour politician in a smart suit...and now he's some sort of king of the north who's going to save the labour movement.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah...maybe.

It's very easy to say such and such person should be leader...but labour is so divided and ideological that they normally end up upsetting a good chunk of the party. 

It's like Burnham. I remember when he was just another Blairite then Brownite labour politician in a smart suit...and now he's some sort of king of the north who's going to save the labour movement.

With Biden setting an example of the left and centre working together, and Starmer uniting people against himself, I think there's scope for much of the party to come together around a leader who doesn't want to exterminate any faction. 

Also Burnham learnt his lesson from the last leadership contest- be less robotic and be yourself and you'll have much better success 

Edited by Mr.Tease

With Biden setting an example of the left and centre working together, and Starmer uniting people against himself, I think there's scope for much of the party to come together around a leader who doesn't want to exterminate any faction. 

yeah, that would be the promised land.

Maybe I should put my name forward for the job.

Agree. I voted for her in the last leadership election. I was annoyed that she joined the coup on Corbyn But was willing to look past it in order to get somebody who I thought would be a winner and who if elected as PM, seems to have some decent left wing instincts. She wants to nationalise rail, decentralise power in a big way to regions and councils and all this. I think her profile is a little bit dour perhaps and she doesn’t seem to have any natural humour, would be my other criticism, but asides from that decent enough.

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah...maybe.

Yeah but it was fair enough. Just post miliband he seemed politically more or less identical to what had gone before and it was all just a bit tired. He ran a poor campaign too, far too safe and steady. 

Now though, away from the vipers nest of westminster he’s really blossomed. The independence to be the politician he really is has done him the power of good. He’s ready. Bring on the Burnham!

3 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Agree. I voted for her in the last leadership election. I was annoyed that she joined the coup on Corbyn But was willing to look past it in order to get somebody who I thought would be a winner and who if elected as PM, seems to have some decent left wing instincts. She wants to nationalise rail, decentralise power in a big way to regions and councils and all this. I think her profile is a little bit dour perhaps and she doesn’t seem to have any natural humour, would be my other criticism, but asides from that decent enough.

yeah, I thought she was pretty good in that election campaign. But I actually thought Long Bailey and Starmer were pretty good too...but Long bailey didn't stand a chance after labour lost so badly. Anyway, who knows where this goes...it's all kicking off on social media...not sure how much other people care...but it does look a bit shit saying will take full responsibility then sacking your deputy. Maybe people just want Starmer to go, which is probably unfair as he's only been in charge a year and the whole time has been with this pandemic...but that's politics for you. Anyway, nice ending for a very nice week for Johnson. He is very safe, and so are the tories for the forseeable.

4 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Yeah but it was fair enough. Just post miliband he seemed politically more or less identical to what had gone before and it was all just a bit tired. He ran a poor campaign too, far too safe and steady. 

Now though, away from the vipers nest of westminster he’s really blossomed. The independence to be the politician he really is has done him the power of good. He’s ready. Bring on the Burnham!

because he doesn't have to play the game. Soon as he's back in westminster it will be the same old story. It's particularly difficult for labour politicians,