news & politics:discussion

zahidf

20 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

There are villages and towns in India that have banned them.

Brits abroad don't have the best reputation either.

Remember coming across loads of f**king rude Israelis when backpacking, all young smartarses travelling before conscription. But also I have met many Israelis that I liked, but it can take a while to get used to their direct humour. In the end it must be a weird existence, everybody hates you but you don't care, like Millwall.

42 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Apologies to anyone I've upset or insulted.

I spent 6 months living in Israeli in 1989 (during the 1st Intifada), of course I met some lovely Israelis, but overall I wasn't impressed.

I've since met loads while travelling and can say exactly the same.

You haven’t upset or offended me, it’s just coming across that you aren’t fond and it’s worth remembering who might be reading this. There are gonna be people that don’t impress us from every society/culture and I don’t think that means we should generalise that culture because of it.

49 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

You haven’t upset or offended me, it’s just coming across that you aren’t fond and it’s worth remembering who might be reading this

you're dead right - on this subject in the past i've been criticised for a poor grasp of the facts, and for a poor wording of stuff, i promised myself to gain some knowledge and to be more thoughtful with what i say.

i used to be much more like skippy with blanket condemnation of Israel.

10 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Apologies to anyone I've upset or insulted.

I spent 6 months living in Israeli in 1989 (during the 1st Intifada), of course I met some lovely Israelis, but overall I wasn't impressed.

I've since met loads while travelling and can say exactly the same.

Kibbutz?

I was on one for 6 months in 2000 so was there when the 2nd Intifada kicked off. Took a while to get used to seeing teenagers walking around with massive guns. (That was just 'normal', before the Intifada even happened.

Always seemed to me that the Israelis with the more extreme views were the newly arrived. Not true for everyone of course but largely for the ones I met/knew. 

I also remember a few friends around my age (20s) who were planning on leaving the country to avoid being called up as they didn't agree with what the military were doing (specifically something happening in Hebron I think, can't remember the details). Be interesting to hear their views now, although they'd be too old to be called up these days.

10 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Brits abroad don't have the best reputation either.

Remember coming across loads of f**king rude Israelis when backpacking, all young smartarses travelling before conscription. But also I have met many Israelis that I liked, but it can take a while to get used to their direct humour. In the end it must be a weird existence, everybody hates you but you don't care, like Millwall.

You'd always meet the Israeli backpacker who really wanted to make clear that they were aware of the reputation and that they really weren't like other Israeli backpackers. 

10 minutes ago, Neil said:

freddie flintoff got a £9m pay off from top gear after a crash that ruined his cricket career he'll never play again.

I’ve heard some stories about that crash and seen images post surgery. Definitely a justified payoff for life changing injuries caused by lack of health and safety procedures. 

The crash in 3 wheeler without a roll cage meant he used his face as a brake after it rolled over. Witnesses to the crash needed mental health treatment after seeing the injuries. 

The guy who was doing top gear health and safety when Richard Hammond had his crash was a guy I know and he ran glasto jazzworld stage for just one year was meant to be for all time. But he got sacked by Michael because some radios went missing there was also a Stitch up by the guy who had wanted to take over running that stage.

41 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Kibbutz?

I was on one for 6 months in 2000 so was there when the 2nd Intifada kicked off. Took a while to get used to seeing teenagers walking around with massive guns. (That was just 'normal', before the Intifada even happened.

Always seemed to me that the Israelis with the more extreme views were the newly arrived. Not true for everyone of course but largely for the ones I met/knew. 

I also remember a few friends around my age (20s) who were planning on leaving the country to avoid being called up as they didn't agree with what the military were doing (specifically something happening in Hebron I think, can't remember the details). Be interesting to hear their views now, although they'd be too old to be called up these days.

You'd always meet the Israeli backpacker who really wanted to make clear that they were aware of the reputation and that they really weren't like other Israeli backpackers. 

I started on a moshav https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moshav

Then moved onto a Kibbutz. I kind of agree about the the Israelis with the more extreme views being the newly arrived.

In general I found individual Israeli's or couples to be far more reasonable as compared to groups, esp men.

I could go on at great lengths about this and my reasons for my opinions, but I'm not going to bother. I've said too much already.

31 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’ve heard some stories about that crash and seen images post surgery. Definitely a justified payoff for life changing injuries caused by lack of health and safety procedures. 

The crash in 3 wheeler without a roll cage meant he used his face as a brake after it rolled over. Witnesses to the crash needed mental health treatment after seeing the injuries. 

yeah, he looks kind of messed up, lucky to be alive though I guess.

41 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Do you know what the long term injuries he’s suffered are?

41 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Do you know what the long term injuries he’s suffered are?

He’s had to go through massive facial reconstruction. Probably will never look the same again. Wouldn’t want to speculate how damaging that can be to someone’s mental health.