news & politics:discussion

zahidf

4 hours ago, steviewevie said:

one thing I found out recently is how in the 40s the labour left were the zionists, and Bevan was considered a massive antisemite.

My grandfather served on the Palestine up to the formation of Israel. He had some very colourful words about Jews of which terrorist was mild. I was actually shocked when this mild mannered man went on an expletive array. I was only 10 or so at the time and knew he was involved in the liberation of Belson. 

33 minutes ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

My grandfather served on the Palestine up to the formation of Israel. He had some very colourful words about Jews of which terrorist was mild. I was actually shocked when this mild mannered man went on an expletive array. I was only 10 or so at the time and knew he was involved in the liberation of Belson. 

there were quite a few brits killed at the formation of Israel.

18 minutes ago, Neil said:

there were quite a few brits killed at the formation of Israel.

Yes

I believe the soon to become Israelis used what would now be called terrorism to drive the Brits out and establish a homeland.

Ironic

Never mentioned these days though

Just now, Skip997 said:

Yes

I believe the soon to become Israelis used what would now be called terrorism to drive the Brits out and establish a homeland.

Ironic

Never mentioned these days though

the brits had already announced their intention to quit, the Israeli's were just ensuring they took up the reigns.

5 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Oh thats alright then

Never mind the people already living there

can throw that one at the brits and league of nations & UN. the people living there didn't have their own  institutions to shape a different outcome.

Edited by Neil

13 minutes ago, Neil said:

can throw that one at the brits and league of nations & UN. the people living there didn't have their own  institutions to shape a different outcome.

The Brits had a great couple of years - Palastine 1948, India/Pakistan 1947

Still seeing the fallout 75 years on

2 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

The Brits had a great couple of years - Palastine 1948, India/Pakistan 1947

Still seeing the fallout 75 years on

are you really believing that palestine was about empire same as india? you need to read upo some more.

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

You really don’t like the Israelis do you?

history is what it is, hating the Israel's get no one any nearer a liveable solution for all of the people involved. it makes a solution harder and keeps up the killing for longer.

28 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

You really don’t like the Israelis do you?

Apologies to anyone I've upset or insulted.

I spent 6 months living in Israeli in 1989 (during the 1st Intifada), of course I met some lovely Israelis, but overall I wasn't impressed.

I've since met loads while travelling and can say exactly the same.

an old friend of mine has spent much of the last twenty years living in Gaza working on various projects(a ballsy lass), am always worried for her safety when something like this kicks off (luckily she's moved on to a sea conservation project for the moment).

9 minutes ago, Neil said:

was just looking at the uk description of what is proscribed, the likes of Israel could never fit that cos they use lawful violence (all nation states do, the state has an exclusive right to violence).

And this where the accepted definition (as used to determine the parameters for proscription) of terrorism falls down.

It’s a political tool used to absolve those with power and influence of responsibility.

3 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

And this where the accepted definition (as used to determine the parameters for proscription) of terrorism falls down.

It’s a political tool used to absolve those with power and influence of responsibility.

I don't think its that I think it's just trying to deal with the awkward where one person's freedom fighters is another person's terrorist.