news & politics:discussion

zahidf

19 minutes ago, stuie said:

Labour or Conservative, there is no way this country can achieve clean energy by 2030.  We have motorways full of fossil fuel cars and lorries, 7000 planes in our skies every day and about 50% of our energy still comes from non-renewable sources. Even 28 billion a year won't fix that. 

Correct

27 minutes ago, Gingerfish79 said:

Tory's re-writing Labours election manifesto one attack at a time. They must be dying of laughter over at CCHQ. Starmer U-turns more than Theresa May did, and she was basically a spinning top by the end.

Seriously, how are they falling into this trap again? Decade after decade. They're so determined to give the Tory's nothing to attack, there'll be nothing for the non-affiliated public to vote for come the election. If they think 'vote for us because we're not them' will be enough, they're sadly mistaken.

I'm not defending Labour cus the gap between the parties is getting thinner by the day. But they don't just have the Tories' attacks to worry about, it's every one of the biggest papers in the country telling their readers how evil Labour are with every move they make.

Labour's best bet is to shut up all together until the election and let the Tories keep destroying themselves.

1 hour ago, stuie said:

Labour or Conservative, there is no way this country can achieve clean energy by 2030.  We have motorways full of fossil fuel cars and lorries, 7000 planes in our skies every day and about 50% of our energy still comes from non-renewable sources. Even 28 billion a year won't fix that. 

The target is just green electricity by 2030 and net zero by 2050. The 2030 target is still not achievable without massive investment and planning reform

19 minutes ago, 1986 said:

I'm not defending Labour cus the gap between the parties is getting thinner by the day. But they don't just have the Tories' attacks to worry about, it's every one of the biggest papers in the country telling their readers how evil Labour are with every move they make.

Labour's best bet is to shut up all together until the election and let the Tories keep destroying themselves.

I'm sure they'd love to, but they came up with this big flagship policy, so either stick with it and defend it from Tory attacks, or drop it and look uturny and indecisive and just a bit boring same old but maybe a bit more competent.

3 minutes ago, lazyred said:

The target is just green electricity by 2030 and net zero by 2050. The 2030 target is still not achievable without massive investment and planning reform

yeah, I think people need reminding of what goals are. 

What are current government goals, any different?

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, I think people need reminding of what goals are. 

What are current government goals, any different?

Make up some lower future spending plan and cut taxes before the election

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I'm sure they'd love to, but they came up with this big flagship policy, so either stick with it and defend it from Tory attacks, or drop it and look uturny and indecisive and just a bit boring same old but maybe a bit more competent.

The problem they'll find, the public don't know that they will be more competent. And the more they U-turn and show no conviction in their ideas, the less and less people will believe that they can be competent

6 minutes ago, Gingerfish79 said:

The problem they'll find, the public don't know that they will be more competent. And the more they U-turn and show no conviction in their ideas, the less and less people will believe that they can be competent

yes, true...but even with this they will still look more competent than the current lot.

Some people will think they are being sensible with the countries finances, but at same time the country is obviously crying out for change..it's why we had brexit, Corbyn, Johnson. But now it's a choice between two rather dull leaders, but Sunak is in charge of a crazed divided party, Starmer's Labour seems to be very much his party at moment, but this change of policy could f**k that.

1 hour ago, lazyred said:

Yeah that is the policy, clean energy by 2030 which is doable with a lot of effort and investment. Even if we only get 75% of the way there then it’ll still be a good result and will make a big difference.

51 minutes ago, Gingerfish79 said:

I don’t think that’s entirely the case, the public generally care more about projects/policies that get started and fail rather than a party turning round saying that the landscape is different so we need to x instead. It’s much worse to start something like HS2 then cancel it after years wasting billions than to re-evaluate funding on proposed policies before you get into government. 

Just now, Ozanne said:

Yes I imagine the fossil fuel firms are happy that the U.K. will use clean energy by 2030. What nonsense. 

They've been prepared for such for decades, Shell for one have been developing renewable technologies. 

They're currently trying to maximise their profit from fossil fuels.

This isn't a game about who is best or who to support, it's a case of seriously trying to save the human race.

It's that crucial and we have got a lot less time than most people think.

Political point scoring or desperately trying to get reelected is only leading one way and it ain't going to be pretty.

2 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

They've been prepared for such for decades, Shell for one have been developing renewable technologies. 

They're currently trying to maximise their profit from fossil fuels.

I’m sure they are but that doesn’t change the fact they aren’t exactly going to be cheering for Labours policy. It’s the Tories who are in bed with the fossil fuel firms.