news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

Like the guardian, independent, mirror, new statesman etc etc.

Yet the policy still stands, there is clearly an agenda from some trying to push Labour to get rid of the policy. They haven’t, the aims are still there and Labour will confirm funding after the next budget when they see how much damage the Tories do to the economy.

If the Tories take out x amount of headroom leaving Labour with no room then will you blame the Tories?

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Yet the policy still stands, there is clearly an agenda from some trying to push Labour to get rid of the policy. They haven’t, the aims are still there and Labour will confirm funding after the next budget when they see how much damage the Tories do to the economy.

If the Tories take out x amount of headroom leaving Labour with no room then will you blame the Tories?

fair point...and that is a reason I guess labour will give.

But, the pledge has still changed (or is in process of changing). It isn't being made up by media/tories.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

fair point...and that is a reason I guess labour will give.

But, the pledge has still changed (or is in process of changing). It isn't being made up by media/tories.

As I’ve said, the funding by for it has been scaled back due to Liz Truss the goals of and the policy itself are still there.

20 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

“The Observer understands that as well as backing away from its £28bn a year commitment on green investment (while sticking to the overall drive to achieve clean energy by 2030), Labour will not seek to legislate on the creation of a new national care service in its first king’s speech.”

1 hour ago, Justiceforcedave said:

“The Observer understands that as well as backing away from its £28bn a year commitment on green investment (while sticking to the overall drive to achieve clean energy by 2030), Labour will not seek to legislate on the creation of a new national care service in its first king’s speech.”

That’s exactly what I’ve been saying, funding scaled back but policy goals remain. 

16 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Original pledge changed. Goal remains. We got there in the end! 😎

Nope. It’s backed up my points, the green policies are still there, they haven’t been scaled back. Sorry to disappoint you but Labour still have strong green policies in place. 

• Downvote 1

On 2/3/2024 at 9:30 AM, steviewevie said:

Have to see how much influence of these groups Iran actually has...

They pay the bills and have big influence doesn't work the other way won't go to war for Iran.

28 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

they're going to get asked this a lot...they need to come up with a coherent answer...

He should get Ozanne on the show, I'm sure Trevor would then be able to understand that the original pledge has not changed one bit and he could simply consult that for answers.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

they're going to get asked this a lot...they need to come up with a coherent answer...

They have one, you shared the article yourself the other day showing comments from Darren Jones.

It’s not new news that Labour aren’t going to be spending £28b a year on green energy, we’ve known that for ages. At this point the media are being difficult for the sake of it. 

Edited by Ozanne

its tough for today's youngsters, after a recent big trip to south america, my kid is off to LA for some more holidays.

On 2/3/2024 at 7:29 PM, fraybentos1 said:

They won’t be able to achieve the same outcomes with way less money being put into the policy. 

Can that honestly be this hard to understand?

could all of that money be effectively spent each year to create worthwhile outcomes?

Just now, Neil said:

could all of that money be effectively spent each year to create worthwhile outcomes?

i'd guess it can create more certain outcomes if spent elsewhere! there's so many places in desperate need of extra funds (councils/nhs/etc). that other places might be more beneficial.

3 hours ago, Neil said:

I’m sure that’s not the point with some, just look at the silence from many when the Tories actually cancelled some of the green policies they had last year. It’s just being used as a reason to attack Labour by the Tories and many are falling for it. 

• Downvote 1