news & politics:discussion

zahidf

3 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Spot on.

This is something too many people don't understand or in Barry's case refuse to understand.

Once more for those at the back/hard of hearing/right wing twats:

PEOPLE ON BENEFITS (rightly or "wrongly") ARE NOT TO BLAME

similarly, and contrary to your claim - those that create wealth are not to blame - freeloaders are to blame for the destruction of wealth.

Just now, Neil said:

similarly, and contrary to your claim - those that create wealth are not to blame - freeloaders are to blame for the destruction of wealth.

So if this were true, which it clearly isn't, then there'd be no wealthy people in the world.

Correct.

4 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

So if this were true, which it clearly isn't, then there'd be no wealthy people in the world.

Correct.

you're only right if you can't get your hands on others wealth to destroy it. as your posts show you go out of your way to take what you can.

Edited by Neil

1 minute ago, Neil said:

you're only right if you get your hands on others wealth to destroy it.

Plenty of this going on.

Or at least greed preventing people getting what they are due.

Just now, Skip997 said:

Plenty of this going on.

Or at least greed preventing people getting what they are due.

yes, you stopping a cafe owner being paid for their goods & work. you are what you do!

1 minute ago, Neil said:

yes, you stopping a cafe owner being paid for their goods & work. you are what you do!

Give it a rest you absolute nutter

You act as if I stole someone's lively hood. As it happens said cafe owner has happily and comfortably retired, even after the massive loss of about 10p due to me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Give it a rest you absolute nutter

You act as if I stole someone's lively hood. As it happens said cafe owner has happily and comfortably retired, even after the massive loss of about 10p due to me.

A billionaire business owner gives people their livelihood and you act like he stole from you. I can form opinions from what you post same as you do for me.

9 minutes ago, Neil said:

A billionaire business owner gives people their livelihood and you act like he stole from you. I can form opinions from what you post same as you do for me.

I've absolutely no idea what you're going on about.

Lot of posts here today! 

Barry, I feel like there's an implication from you that the 96% of valid claims aren't all entirely valid, is that right? Or are you just really pissed off about the 4%? My original point around punishing the real claimants was based on the premises that it would be impossible (or at least not cost effective) to clamp down on benefit fraud without also impacting real benefit claimants. 

If that's true, then I'd happily take the hit on 4% fraudulently claiming to ensure the remaining 96% get what they need.

Also on the subject of tax avoidance, tax avoidance isn't equal. Rich people avoid more tax by nature of them being rich (see: SIPP government top up payments). The system is incredibly messed up. Everyone has the same ISA and SIPP yearly contribution allowances, but how many people on a Basic Rate of tax will ever be able to utilise those? And then to add insult to injury, a Higher or Additional rate tax payer needs to pay less into a SIPP to hit that allowance. How is that fair?

And finally, the weird attempt to draw a comparison between Glastonbury volunteers working for their tickets to benefit claimants is one of the thinnest arguments I've seen around here for a while 😂

Entertaining read though.

25 minutes ago, cellar said:

And finally, the weird attempt to draw a comparison between Glastonbury volunteers working for their tickets to benefit claimants is one of the thinnest arguments I've seen around here for a while 😂

Entertaining read though.

That's not really what it was about though.

It's a pathetic attempt to discredit me, with no substance behind it, and to fair Neil has been far more "guilty" than Barry.

For some reason Neil took an instant dislike to me as soon as I started posting.

26 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

That's not really what it was about though.

It's a pathetic attempt to discredit me, with no substance behind it, and to fair Neil has been far more "guilty" than Barry.

For some reason Neil took an instant dislike to me as soon as I started posting.

Yeah I wasn't just going after Barry with that to be fair, only the first part of my post was specifically aimed at him, should have made that clearer (double spacing definitely isn't enough in hindsight 😅)

6 hours ago, Skip997 said:

We're talking accepting (not asking for) about 50 pence worth of goods.

I regularly get offered stuff by traders when I'm working at festivals. Usually discounts or 'upgrades' rather than freebies but those too sometimes. Sometimes it's when I'm on shift and in my hi-viz, sometimes they might spot my ID or it's before the festival proper so there aren't any punters about. I've even had it where a trader has come over to us and told us to come and see them and they'll look after us. It's nice. Nice people being nice to other people. Recongnising and valuing our contribution to the festival. And it's nice to say thank you very much. And maybe have a little chat. Of course I could say, sorry I can't accept your very kind offer because it will cause you to have to charge these fine festival goers more to cover the expense of my free loading, but then that would be f**king weird.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

I regularly get offered stuff by traders when I'm working at festivals. Usually discounts or 'upgrades' rather than freebies but those too sometimes. Sometimes it's when I'm on shift and in my hi-viz, sometimes they might spot my ID or it's before the festival proper so there aren't any punters about. I've even had it where a trader has come over to us and told us to come and see them and they'll look after us. It's nice. Nice people being nice to other people. Recongnising and valuing our contribution to the festival. And it's nice to say thank you very much. And maybe have a little chat. Of course I could say, sorry I can't accept your very kind offer because it will cause you to have to charge these fine festival goers more to cover the expense of my free loading, but then that would be f**king weird.

Exactly this, much the same as my experience. At Wilderness last year one of the traders in the campsite where I was working on a rainy night shift actually told me to tell my team to stop off and get a nice hot drink on them when they were passing by.  At Glasto loads of traders give you discounts if they see your hi vis and you say you’re on a break. Many punters offer to let you go ahead in the queue too. I’ll take any perk that comes my way and I don’t think that’s freeloading.