news & politics:discussion

zahidf

58 minutes ago, stuie said:

Anyone know why tweets aren’t embedding for me? 

It’s been like this for a few weeks now, seems to be after Twitter changed to X. If you go on Twitter on a web browser, copy the link from the address bar and that should embed. 

6 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I hope they get to their target and Labour are a few seats short of a majority 

If they were a few seats short, they would have an effective majority with Sinn Fein not voting. If you mean a few  seats short (taking into consideration SFnon votes) then I would think they would have an arrangement with the Lib Dem’s which would likely be more stable.

In a scenario where they needed some kind of rainbow coalition to dispose the Tory’s/DUP they could in theory have more power , but realistically would they throw their toys out of the pram if they didn’t get what they wanted and let the Tory’s back in?

15 hours ago, Ozanne said:

I think Labours way is the way to do it as they show it’ll save people money through reduced energy bills and less reliance on gas from foreign actors like Putin. 

People have promised cheaper leccy via 

investnentsfor 50+ years, if it was really true they'd be paying us to use it by now. 🙂

Edited by Neil

45 minutes ago, cellar said:

Out of interest, no one here is actually pro-Israel right?

You'd struggle to find a Jewish person who doesn't support Israel's right to exist (and therefore its right to defend itself when under attack).

Given Jewish people are about the only ethnic minority that's actually over-represented in terms of attendees at places like Glastonbury in comparison to its population size, I think you'll find that quite a few people that use this site are pro-Israel.

That doesn't mean they all support the Israeli government in everything they do.  That would be like saying you can't be pro-Britain if you don't support the Tories.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

All these good announcements coming from Lab conference already, I wonder if the same people that claim Lab are the same as the Tories will retract that now?

No they won’t because they are more Tory than they’ve been previously . However had a watch of him and he did look like the next pm . So will have to see . He’s much further right than I’d like but we will all have levels of what’s acceptable . Just like there’s bits of other party policy I like and don’t like . If I setup a poll asking if Labour had moved further to the right in the last parliament I’m pretty sure I could predict the answer , because they have 

14 minutes ago, doogie said:

Given Jewish people are about the only ethnic minority that's actually over-represented in terms of attendees at places like Glastonbury in comparison to its population size

thanks - how do you know that???

23 minutes ago, doogie said:

You'd struggle to find a Jewish person who doesn't support Israel's right to exist (and therefore its right to defend itself when under attack).

Given Jewish people are about the only ethnic minority that's actually over-represented in terms of attendees at places like Glastonbury in comparison to its population size, I think you'll find that quite a few people that use this site are pro-Israel.

That doesn't mean they all support the Israeli government in everything they do.  That would be like saying you can't be pro-Britain if you don't support the Tories.

Always thought Glastonbury was full of Gentiles.

Israel's "right to exist" is a specious argument. People have rights, nation states do not. Did Yugoslavia have a right to exist? If Scotland voted for independence would that violate the rights of the other countries of the UK? 

Supporters of Israel use bad faith arguments to legitimise the occupation of Palestine. Actions such as that undertaken by Hamas yesterday play into that too, but Hamas aren't really concerned with optics. 

Just now, collectivisedfarming said:

Israel's "right to exist" is a specious argument. People have rights, nation states do not. Did Yugoslavia have a right to exist? If Scotland voted for independence would that violate the rights of the other countries of the UK? 

yogoslavia was only making land claims on the territories of the yugoslav federation, no one was displaced . i'd say self determined  territories have a right to form, the difference with Israel is that the Israeli people were not resident in those lands prior to the formation of Israel.  is the take over of land which is the issue.

Just now, collectivisedfarming said:

Supporters of Israel use bad faith arguments to legitimise the occupation of Palestine. Actions such as that undertaken by Hamas yesterday play into that too, but Hamas aren't really concerned with optics. 

the armed response by the likes of hamas isn't working out well for them. the Israeli's alway kill more Palestinians, and downgrade Palestinian infrastructure.