news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

when you think of all the people and all the industry and all the flights and ships and cars and crap ...then yeah, ain't happening. Just have to hope for a tech solution.

Think of all the concrete, the steel. We talk so much about flights etc but do we really look at the big parts of the problem, some people probable are of course

when you think of all the people and all the industry and all the flights and ships and cars and crap ...then yeah, ain't happening. Just have to hope for a tech solution.

There is a great deal of research in tech solutions. One is geoengineering namely Solar Radiation Management. The main method is to spray something into the stratosphere to reflect the sun. The proposed material is Sulphur Dioxide the stuff that causes acid rain. Thousands and thousands of tonnes of the stuff each year. 

It's mainly big oil that fund the research as it means a tech solution can be used as a stop gap for about 49 years so they don't have to decarbonise 

Some whacky sh*t going on out there.

57 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Batteries of most electric cars need replacing after around 7 years - they cost, for  a Tesla for example, between 12,000 and 16,000 USD.

Who can afford that every 7 years?

EV's are not the future - the only reason they are being pushed is cos the motor industry was told decades ago they would be so invested vast sums in them - they want that investment back.

If all the vehicles on earth were replaced by EV's the batteries alone would take far more lithium than we have easy access to. The only place it is thought there is enough is at the bottom of oceans so can only be got at by dredging the seabed.

All we are doing is taking one problem away and replacing it with another, possibly even bigger problem.

Japan, Australia and Scandanavian countries are looking far more at hydrogen for all needs and i n Japan they seem to think they can sort that for cars on  a mass scale. Test hydrogen cars have been around since 2007 and are just like petrol cars in performance and fuel. Just no emmissions. Make hydrogen the clean way and you can adjust gas storage to hold it.

I shall now await those who comment here who hate the idea of hydrogen in every way - for reasons I fail to understand.

Hydrogen certainly seems the way to go. Not sure why this has not been grasped, not that I have all the facts. Probably vested interests.

Always remember reading about a cheap car run on compressed air, not sure what happened to that, seemed simple. Probably a problem in there some where

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

probably doesn't have roop's corrupt ways

roop's not that impressed by him, roop kept demoting him from the controlling positions he appointed him to.

Edited by Neil

7 hours ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

There was a quiz I did with Greenpeace many years back. Rather than give your carbon footprint it gave a detailed ecological footprint based on all the resources you used and gave the result in how many Earth's you need to live. The closest I find find through their site is here although it is similar

https://www.footprintnetwork.org/

As to what you can do you can always look at local groups in your area that may not directly say climate change but want to change their local environment. I had a breakdown, both mental and family, nearly 20 years back and one of them things that helped me was a community group. We campaigned for a few things and the area is now thriving and even has a number of LTNs which is nice. It is now essentially a 15 minute city which only benefits the environment but it took years of work with no result.

2.4 for me. Interesting, I do not drive or have car, but LTNs have been the bane of my life for the last 3 years, as all the traffic that got banned from the lovely and relatively quiet roads near me now goes around the block past my doorstep. Funny old world. Where does the traffic from go in the case of your local LTNs? I am utterly fed up with us having to breath, hear and smell the combined crap others don't want on their patch. Plus, the buses we need are now often stuck for ages. 

12 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I did this

https://co2-calculator.climatehero.me/

I was 100% honest - except I did not say my flights are business which it allowed me to do - and even with those flights the score was 3.4 tonnes a year.

So 25% below average even with the flights and when they stop we will be a lot lower than that.

Can we do better, yes we can.

Will we?

Yes we will.

Try the test, be honest and don't like some do, just pick on one part of a whole to try and make points.

This test is a weird one. Is it based on North American lifestyles? 

27 minutes ago, midnight said:

This test is a weird one. Is it based on North American lifestyles? 

i guess someone decided that particular things were easy to measure the carbon, and then based the questions on what they had answers for.

I was a bit baffled by all the questions about vehicles, as I don't have any, and then, in the final section where they want to tell you how to do better, they kept recommending me to walk more, which was weird. It was as if the bottom line was everyone has motorised transport and should use it less. Which is somewhat of an USA/Canada/Australia thing. Easier and more common to get by without in Europe. Not to mention places where private vehicles are really rare and expensive for most of the population (they did accommodate for that when asking about homes).

The pet question never fails to amuse me. We don't have any now, but for a couple of years had 2 Guinea pigs, who were hand-me-downs from a woman who had to move. They were, by nature, entirely vegetarian and really cheap and low-impact to cater for: water, hay, grass, vegetable peels and cuts. Big difference to keeping 2 Labradors, but hey. 

1 hour ago, midnight said:

I was a bit baffled by all the questions about vehicles, as I don't have any, and then, in the final section where they want to tell you how to do better, they kept recommending me to walk more, which was weird. It was as if the bottom line was everyone has motorised transport and should use it less. Which is somewhat of an USA/Canada/Australia thing. Easier and more common to get by without in Europe. Not to mention places where private vehicles are really rare and expensive for most of the population (they did accommodate for that when asking about homes).

The pet question never fails to amuse me. We don't have any now, but for a couple of years had 2 Guinea pigs, who were hand-me-downs from a woman who had to move. They were, by nature, entirely vegetarian and really cheap and low-impact to cater for: water, hay, grass, vegetable peels and cuts. Big difference to keeping 2 Labradors, but hey. 

thanks Kat, i felt similar about the pet question my little cat eats meat, doesn't turn the heating on, drive,  or use taxis or fly. 😛 

Edited by Neil

My dog has a massive carbon pawprint. Maybe I should put him down.

I reckon we can give Neil a pass for his lil' cat as he hasn't flown anywhere in 20 odd years,, but you appear to have 2 kids AND a dog - that's sheer environmental vandalism, that is!  😉