news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 minute ago, lost said:

I didn't say what I wanted. I simply pointed out the alternative energy companies couldn't cut their prices even if they wanted to.

That’s why I said ‘you only seem…’

You never once given the perception you care about peoples bills, just protecting those greedy energy firms which are raking it in. 

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

You never once given the perception you care about peoples bills, just protecting those greedy energy firms which are raking it in. 

I was saying its more difficult to work out how to do it then is being suggested. Ofgem is currently forcing these alternative energy companies to be "greedy" as you put it and someone needs to work out where to take the money from to cut bills without causing a bigger issue down the road.

Edited by lost

17 minutes ago, lost said:

I was saying its more difficult to work out how to do it then is being suggested. Ofgem is currently forcing these alternative energy companies to be "greedy" as you put it and someone needs to work out where to take the money from to cut bills without causing a bigger issue down the road.

It’s always someone else’s fault isn’t it.

The energy firms could choose to put the public first and take the hit but they are choosing to put their prices up for profit aka they are greedy. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

It’s always someone else’s fault isn’t it.

The energy firms could choose to put the public first and take the hit but they are choosing to put their prices up for profit aka they are greedy. 

No they can't its against ofgem rules.

This tax the energy companies is the left wing equivalent of "GET BREXIT DONE!!" its much more complicated than simple populist slogans and your very likely to make an even bigger mess than the one your trying to fix. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, lost said:

This tax the energy companies is the left wing equivalent of "GET BREXIT DONE!!" its much more complicated than simple populist slogans and your very likely to make an even bigger mess than the one your trying to fix. 

We’ve put a windfall tax on them already so seems we can do it again. Sorry to break it to you.

You Tories will do anything to shift hardship to normal people.  

19 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

We’ve put a windfall tax on them already so seems we can do it again. Sorry to break it to you.

He's taxed oil & gas companies. We don't generate any electricity from oil if we generated 100% your bill would be around £40 a month. Your taxing something completely different. These are not the companies making "excess profits" from electricity via the oil bit. Plus he hasn't really taxed them he's forcing them to invest in a media friendly way. We already charge 60% tax on north sea oil and gas so more projects means more tax.

I honestly don't know why its so difficult to understand the concept of the most expensive kilowatt hour on the grid which ofgem enforce. I could explain it to my 8 year old nephew.

Edited by lost

2 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I mean, it would work if your energy bills were only increasing by the cost of that kettle and associated costs. As it is, not exactly an equal trade-off.

A bit like the tax thing with truss … is hardly going to dent my bills as I’m on minimum wage and not a huge tax payer 

45 minutes ago, lost said:

He's taxed oil & gas companies. We don't generate any electricity from oil if we generated 100% your bill would be around £40 a month. Your taxing something completely different. These are not the companies making "excess profits" from electricity via the oil bit. Plus he hasn't really taxed them he's forcing them to invest in a media friendly way. We already charge 60% tax on north sea oil and gas so more projects means more tax.

I honestly don't know why its so difficult to understand the concept of the most expensive kilowatt hour on the grid which ofgem enforce. I could explain it to my 8 year old nephew.

The government has an 80 seat majority of they wanted to enforce a better version of the windfall tax they could easily do it or so whatever they wanted by putting it through Parliament. These companies are making excessive profits due to the current situation off so they should take the hit not the average household.

These are greedy companies that are taking advantage of the situation and offering practically little help when they could decide to cut their own prices. 

2 hours ago, lost said:

It would need to be split by type of company. Obviously the first type who simply buy energy off the market and re-sell it aren't making any more.

Those that have a generation unit.. The price we pay is set by the highest cost Kwh on the grid at anyone time so I'm guessing at the moment its either natural gas generated or energy we buy in from other countries. Weirdly the companies that are making "excess profits" are going to be the alternative energy companies. I would think any government would have to find a balance where they are not discouraging investment by these companies and allowing them to build up reserves for more normal times when they are more expensive vs the profit they are making when the gas price goes crazy.

Isn't EU (and maybe UK) doing the decouple thing to solve this?

Just now, Ozanne said:

The government has an 80 seat majority of they wanted to enforce a better version of the windfall tax they could easily do it or so whatever they wanted by putting it through Parliament. These companies are making excessive profits due to the current situation off so they should take the hit not the average household.

As i said its probably designed to address the issue from the supply side. More oil and and gas coming out of the north sea year on year will generate more tax in the long run than a 1 year windfall plus helps Europe's reliance on Russia. Setting the tax at 85% but allowing investment at 60% suddenly makes projects that would of been uneconomically viable suddenly viable. 

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Isn't EU (and maybe UK) doing the decouple thing to solve this?

Yep we'll probably have a solution around this concept at some point. Seems a much better idea to me.

Edited by lost

2 hours ago, lost said:

nicely pout, added to that is that the high prices are here indefinitely, so a frix for six months is not a fix.

11 hours ago, lost said:

As i said its probably designed to address the issue from the supply side. More oil and and gas coming out of the north sea year on year will generate more tax in the long run than a 1 year windfall plus helps Europe's reliance on Russia. Setting the tax at 85% but allowing investment at 60% suddenly makes projects that would of been uneconomically viable suddenly viable. 

you really think they're going to extract more gas/oil from N Sea just to raise more tax? Takes ages to start the whole drilling process doesn't it? Surely there's an energy security aspect too, and possibly just stuff to please tory members and piss off all the wokey green people?

Edited by steviewevie

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

you really think they're going to extract more gas/oil from N Sea just to raise more tax? Takes ages to start the whole drilling process doesn't it? Surely there's an energy security aspect too, and possibly just stuff to please tory members and piss off all the wokey green people?

The only thing that matters is the energy companies so if it means they get to make more money then it’s allowed.

26 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

The only thing that matters is the energy companies so if it means they get to make more money then it’s allowed.

They're private businesses, they make money, that is what they do. You expect them to make a loss to help people? The only way they can do that is if they are nationalised or subsidised.

20 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

They're private businesses, they make money, that is what they do. You expect them to make a loss to help people? The only way they can do that is if they are nationalised or subsidised.

They are do exactly what I expected them too. They should be helping people and they could be doing that by being more helpful with their prices.

39 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

They are do exactly what I expected them too. They should be helping people and they could be doing that by being more helpful with their prices.

By that logic should we expect banks to stop charging fees on overdrafts, credit cards & mortgages?  Supermarkets to start selling food at cost?  etc, etc. A solution is needed but it really falls on the government as Stevie says... this is how other countries seem to be tackling the issue.